Trade Tyrod and Shady before the season starts

This year is a wash. It's obvious Tyrod is not in the team's long-term plans...why not trade him for whatever you can get and give Peterman the keys for the year? If we can get a 4th/5th rounder and depth player I'd take it, as opposed to riding out the year with him and letting him walk. Then you give Peterman a full 16 to see how he does and if he can stick as the backup/possible starter for the future.

Shady only has maybe 2-3 good years left in him, barring injury, and is on a huge contract. By the time this team will be ready to be good again, he'll either be expendable or retiring. Why not get a haul for him while he still has value, and let Jonathan Williams start? RBs are a dime a dozen anyways. I get that this would piss off a large portion of the fanbase, but why not go all in, since you've already traded two of your best players for picks? Load up for next year's draft and beyond. I'd even look at trading Dareus to be honest.

J9UCUVn.gif

I'd think a 2nd and a player for Shady would be the offer. Chris Godwin and a 2nd?

I think they value Shady higher than they valued Sammy. I guess technically that's more than we got for Sammy, but I think they would look for more. Again, I don't think they are trying to tank the season and Shady IS the offense. They would need an offer they really couldn't refuse.

yes that is my point. They aren't going to trade him unless they get a "haul" due to his value. So if they don't, they won't. Teams are welcome to make inquiries but this isn't Chip Kelly shopping him around for an injured LB.

@john_wawrow

It would take a significant offer for #Bills to consider parting ways with LeSean McCoy.

A really big significant offer.

Good. I can live with trading him for a 1st rounder. Anything less...nope.

I think they value Shady higher than they valued Sammy. I guess technically that's more than we got for Sammy, but I think they would look for more. Again, I don't think they are trying to tank the season and Shady IS the offense. They would need an offer they really couldn't refuse.

They most certainly value Shady higher than Sammy. And for good reason.

yes that is my point. They aren't going to trade him unless they get a "haul" due to his value. So if they don't, they won't. Teams are welcome to make inquiries but this isn't Chip Kelly shopping him around for an injured LB.

@john_wawrow

It would take a significant offer for #Bills to consider parting ways with LeSean McCoy.

A really big significant offer.

Nobody in their right mind would give a 1st rounder so I guess we are stuck. 2nd rounder does not scream "significant offer" even though that is what they should take if offered.

Good. I can live with trading him for a 1st rounder. Anything less...nope.

They most certainly value Shady higher than Sammy. And for good reason.

Shady is probably the best player this team has had in the entirety of the drought and beyond. I would rather keep Shady than add another pick right now. He's too good.

This year is a wash. It's obvious Tyrod is not in the team's long-term plans...why not trade him for whatever you can get and give Peterman the keys for the year? If we can get a 4th/5th rounder and depth player I'd take it, as opposed to riding out the year with him and letting him walk. Then you give Peterman a full 16 to see how he does and if he can stick as the backup/possible starter for the future.

Shady only has maybe 2-3 good years left in him, barring injury, and is on a huge contract. By the time this team will be ready to be good again, he'll either be expendable or retiring. Why not get a haul for him while he still has value, and let Jonathan Williams start? RBs are a dime a dozen anyways. I get that this would piss off a large portion of the fanbase, but why not go all in, since you've already traded two of your best players for picks? Load up for next year's draft and beyond. I'd even look at trading Dareus to be honest.

i remember being at 35 posts and not even CONSIDERING starting a new thread. i think it took until maybe 300 or 400 posts to get up the courage. kids these days!

I don't think that there's any doubt that they value Shady. He's their best player. It all comes down to "what's the goal in 2017?" If it was to compete they shouldn't have made the other deals. The Bills didn't even deny that they are worse in 2017 because of them. If we are trying to get to the top of the draft to secure a QB Shady and Tyrod should be dealt. Don't try to win 6 games that's the worst case scenario. If you could get another top 60 pick and a starting caliber young receiver on a rookie deal I'd pull the trigger. They'd have Zay and Godwin to build with the QB that they take in 2018. That's a good place to start. If they are bad enough to pick a QB without using their draft capital to move up maybe they can even add a back like Guice or by some miracle Barkley. You'd have your QB, starting receivers & RB all in the same age bracket. Winning 4 games is better than 6. The Bills need to win 10 or more or less than 5. Edited by Kirby Jackson

I don't think that there's any doubt that they value Shady. He's their best player. It all comes down to "what's the goal in 201?" If it was to compete they shouldn't have made the other deals. The Bills didn't even deny that they are worse in 2017 because of them. If we are trying to get to the top of the draft to secure a QB Shady and Tyrod should be dealt. Don't try to win 6 games that's the worst case scenario. If you could get another top 60 pick and a starting caliber young receiver on a rookie deal I'd pull the trigger. They'd have Zay and Godwin to build with the QB that they take in 2018. That's a good place to start. If they are bad enough to pick a QB without using their draft capital to move up maybe they can even add a back like Guice or by some miracle Barkley. You'd have your QB, starting receivers & RB all in the same age bracket. Winning 4 games is better than 6. The Bills need to win 10 or more or less than 5.

I understand the reasoning, but I believe that the staff feels there's still a chance they can compete with the current roster. The run game shouldn't skip a beat and the defense looks much improved already. Why not start the season and see what happens? I think they would be more likely to start the season with TT and Shady and dish them out if they fall out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. I mean, we don't know for sure if Darnold and Rosen will declare and selling off our best assets without much clarity in the 2018 draft would not be wise. We already have some good ammo and we have the chance to be competitive now.

Edited by Big C

Shady is probably the best player this team has had in the entirety of the drought and beyond. I would rather keep Shady than add another pick right now. He's too good.

He's a HOF'er. And I'd hate to part with him, but for a 1st, I'd probably pull the trigger.

I think Mario Williams in 2014 was better. Takeo Spikes' 2003 season was better too. I also think it's arguable that Dareus' 2014 season was better than McCoy's 2016 season. Let's not forget that the Bills D in 2003 was first overall in defensive DVOA and second overall in 2014.

Using Pro-football-reference's overall-value AV measure, here's where things stand:

Mario Williams in 2014: 18

Spikes in 2004: 17

Dareus in 2014: 17

McCoy in 2016: 13

18 is *really* high.

Edited by dave mcbride

you really don't think they will draft a QB?

I'm really hoping they do but I can just picture us winning enough games to be picking too far out for a top QB then hearing about how they didn't have another QB graded high enough but don't worry because the CB is going to be a real impact player.

I love Shady, but if for some reason a team gets crazy and offers a 1st, I take it in a heartbeat and don't look back. At this point, with the way things have played out, this year should be about 1 thing......getting as close to the top of April's Draft as possible.

I understand the reasoning, but I believe that the staff feels there's still a chance they can compete with the current roster. The run game shouldn't skip a beat and the defense looks much improved already. Why not start the season and see what happens? I think they would be more likely to start the season with TT and Shady and dish them out if they fall out of playoff contention by the trade deadline. I mean, we don't know for sure if Darnold and Rosen will declare and selling off our best assets without much clarity in the 2018 draft would not be wise. We already have some good ammo and we have the chance to be competitive now.

If they don't declare it's all of the more reason to be worse. SF and the Jets are taking QB. The Dolphins, Jags, Cardinals, Browns and others may be thinking QB. If you end up with the 8th pick and Darnold and/or Rosen stay in school what's the QB plan? Even if they come out, what's the plan? Pay a ridiculous price to try to get ahead of those teams (if someone will bite)? Why not bottom out?

If they really believed that they were competing they wouldn't have made those moves. They had 2 options and it was tank and load up on assets or compete for a playoff spot. A little bit of both doesn't work. We can't end up in a game of QB musical chairs in the 2018 draft with no seat.

Edited by Kirby Jackson