Greatest WR you've seen in your lifetime

major

Moss should be the answer. He was an absolute freak of nature...almost the perfect receiver. Sadly he could be childish and he let his ego get in the way far too often to be considered the best.

So it's between Jerry Rice and Calvin Johnson. Would Rice have had the same success as Megatron with Stafford and associated journeymen throwing to him? I don't think so. Would Megatron have had the same success with Montana and Young throwing to him? Oh hell yes. His numbers would have been astronomical.

Answer: Calvin Johnson

You don't see Owens in that same conversation with Moss - for almost the same reasons? Their stats are nearly identical and I'd put Owens in that physical freak category too.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm not a millennial. I remember - with great respect - seeing all those guys play live.

But I think Rice was better.

But I also think that it's a close race. When it comes to RBs, I think Jim Brown and OJ were the cream of the crop - head and shoulders above the rest.

When it comes to WR, though, I think it's a tougher call. There's a bunch of roughly equally great guys at the top of the list.

Before he got hurt, Sayers has to be in the conversation, and for a short stint, Bo might be the best of all..

Edited by Kemp

The best was easily Jerry Rice. The most talented is another question, but that's Randy Moss.

I agree completely. Jerry produced year in and year out. Randy had some brain cramps, whether a patch of games or even a couple of seasons. At his best Moss was an incredible combination of size, speed, and talent.

I've been around a long time and watched a lot of football over the past six decades but I have to admit that Randy Moss didn't even enter my mind when this topic was first posted. I'm not sure why. I'm definitely going to have go back and review his stats.

...man, 55 years of following the NFL leads to a long list....homegrown Chandler, Golden Wheels, Butler, Andre.......elsewhere Pearson, Moss, Holt, Freddie B, Stalworth, Swann gets honorable mention, Fins' Marks Brothers, Monk ,Steve Largent, Bambi Alworth ('til his "down 'n out" zipper problem), Irvin, Warfield...the list is endless....the BEST?...Jerry Rice......hands down....slides to 16....allegedly ran a 4.73 in the combine....hardly from a mega football factory in Mississippi Valley State.....guy was the consummate team player, playing for 20 seasons....I'd take Jerry over Randy by a slight margin.......

Don't forget, Rice was $$$ in the playoffs. Megatron, not so much. :D

...man, 55 years of following the NFL leads to a long list....homegrown Chandler, Golden Wheels, Butler, Andre.......elsewhere Pearson, Moss, Holt, Freddie B, Stalworth, Swann gets honorable mention, Fins' Marks Brothers, Monk ,Steve Largent, Bambi Alworth ('til his "down 'n out" zipper problem), Irvin, Warfield...the list is endless....the BEST?...Jerry Rice......hands down....slides to 16....allegedly ran a 4.73 in the combine....hardly from a mega football factory in Mississippi Valley State.....guy was the consummate team player, playing for 20 seasons....I'd take Jerry over Randy by a slight margin.......

I believe you're thinking of Lance Rentzel, not Alworth.

Edited by Rico