Greatest WR you've seen in your lifetime

major

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget, Rice was $$$ in the playoffs. Megatron, not so much. :D

I believe you're thinking of Lance Rentzel, not Alworth.

Yea, Rentzel was busted in a playground i think.. not a good dude, he actually was drafted by the Bills, but obviously didnt sign with them.

Edited by dwight in philly

At their peak, I'd go with Moss, Rice, Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Michael Irvin, and Reggie Wayne. I remember seeing some great receivers in the late 70's as well but frankly I was too young to appreciate it and can't really compare to the more 'modern' era. I mean guys like Largent, Biletnikoff, etc.

everyone here will think i'm crazy but all the receivers mentioned here have one thing in common! Great quarter backs and a long tenure with them. I really believe Eric Moulds was a great receiver who put up 1000 yard years only falling short a couple years and he had several different quarter backs throwing to him.

everyone here will think i'm crazy but all the receivers mentioned here have one thing in common! Great quarter backs and a long tenure with them. I really believe Eric Moulds was a great receiver who put up 1000 yard years only falling short a couple years and he had several different quarter backs throwing to him.

Eric is worthy of Wall honours from the last 17 years.

except Moss.

Moss's career was with Cunningham, Culpepper, Andrew Waiter and Aaron Brooks....stop me when you see a great QB listed. He only had 32 games with Brady.

same for Megatron. He had Shaun Hill and Stafford throwing to him. Not horrible QBs, but not great ones either.

The most remarkable WR I ever saw in-person or on TV was Lance Alworth. In an age where receivers weren't untouchable like today, Bambi tore up the field. He was fast, agile and was a great route-runner. His hands were soft and he almost never dropped a pass or fumbled the ball. And, he was hit by some of the best, when high hits were legal, too. While his coach Sid Gilman revolutionized the game to what we have today, he couldn't have done it without a receiver to fit the bill. Alworth is the closest to today's elite WRs that you'll find from the old days. He'd clearly be elite if he played today. You can't say that about many if any old players at any position.

The most remarkable WR I ever saw in-person or on TV was Lance Alworth. In an age where receivers weren't untouchable like today, Bambi tore up the field. He was fast, agile and was a great route-runner. His hands were soft and he almost never dropped a pass or fumbled the ball. And, he was hit by some of the best, when high hits were legal, too. While his coach Sid Gilman revolutionized the game to what we have today, he couldn't have done it without a receiver to fit the bill. Alworth is the closest to today's elite WRs that you'll find from the old days. He'd clearly be elite if he played today. You can't say that about many if any old players at any position.

Yup, but the stats are way better in this day and age.

Yup, but the stats are way better in this day and age.

Sure, but even then, he averaged over 1,000 yards a season over his 10-year career. His average yards per catch was 18.9. They didn't keep YAC stats back then, but he was usually running pretty free. Those are pretty awesome numbers for the 1960s, don't you think?

I have a friend that met Randy Moss a little while back and got to know him fairly well. Nice guy, extremely smart and well spoken is how he described Moss. Not the picture you get from his playing days.

I have a friend that met Randy Moss a little while back and got to know him fairly well. Nice guy, extremely smart and well spoken is how he described Moss. Not the picture you get from his playing days.

It's Rice number 1, Golden Wheels Dubenion is #2.

I think there are a good number of old timers who would still be studs in today's game.

Golden Arm Johnny U

Jim Brown

Alworth like you said would still be a top deep threat and #1

sonny jurgensen would be Drew Brees

Nite train lane would be a beast corner still

There are a few guys who can transcend eras .. that's why they are HoFs

The other thing in this convo is best combo. Swan and Stallworth though not GOATs were a heckuv a pair. The other guy who had stats was Gene Washington for San Fran. There were two back in those days by the same name. the other played for Minnesota. The Gene with San Fran I once saw leap clean over top a defender to make a catch. Guy could sky!

Sterling Sharpe. Dude was uncoverable...double teamed, triple teamed, didn't matter, he still got open.

He would have put up ridiculous numbers if his career wasn't cut short by injury...he was more talented than his brother, Shannon Sharpe...

Sterling Sharpe was fantastic.

Another name worthy of honorable mention is Michael Irvin. Size, strength, speed, competitiveness off the charts...5 pro bowls, 3 superbowls....

He was as good as any in the game when he was at his peak.

Sure, but even then, he averaged over 1,000 yards a season over his 10-year career. His average yards per catch was 18.9. They didn't keep YAC stats back then, but he was usually running pretty free. Those are pretty awesome numbers for the 1960s, don't you think?

that was the AFL, which still doesn't carry what it deserved.

the man has my full respect, Don Hutson as well from people that saw him.

The other thing in this convo is best combo. Swan and Stallworth though not GOATs were a heckuv a pair. The other guy who had stats was Gene Washington for San Fran. There were two back in those days by the same name. the other played for Minnesota. The Gene with San Fran I once saw leap clean over top a defender to make a catch. Guy could sky!

The abuse that was within the legality of the game put on Swann and Stallworth hemmed in their stats a lot.

Moss had the talent, and I'd choose him if he played even when he didn't feel like it. The greatest WR of all time doesn't have to be just the most talented. They have to be professional as well, so I'll go with Jerry Rice. Moss might own all his records if he'd, you know, been in the mood a little more. (I know, I know, Rice had some HOF QB play, but Moss was such a disappointment in so many ways...)

The best WR I've seen was Steve Largent. He wasn't as physically gifted as Moss and Rice, but he had unbelievable hands and ran his routes so cleanly. He always made the important catches and the tough catches was was never a Prima Donna!

Moss, Rice, all good, but as another poster pointed out,Raymond Berry defined the WR position.. i stated i liked Alworth, but Berry is an equal.. different types, but the best i have seen.. i would also put Charlie Hennigan in the mix too.

Edited by dwight in philly

that was the AFL, which still doesn't carry what it deserved.

the man has my full respect, Don Hutson as well from people that saw him.

....also kudos respect to the late Art Powell.........Wesley Walker played with one eye..........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy