I could be wrong, this sounds like a we want our guys

Cherrybone

This seem to be a we want our guys situation. Dareus and Hughes may not be safe either. Also how can you say you're not throwing in the towel when you get rid of definite talent and say you want to stock pile picks and build through the draft? Draft picks aren't a sure thing either.

I hope Beane and McDermott know what they're doing. But this one right here may come back to haunt them.

This seem to be a we want our guys situation. Dareus and Hughes may not be safe either. Also how can you say you're not throwing in the towel when you get rid of definite talent and say you want to stock pile picks and build through the draft? Draft picks aren't a sure thing either.

I hope Beane and McDermott know what they're doing. But this one right here may come back to haunt them.

What was our record with Watkins, Darby and whoever else you think may now be traded the last few seasons?

And you hope Beane knows what he's doing when it was clear as day that Whaley didn't?

I don't get the hysteria over todays transactions.

We are now the Giants that beat us in the first SB.

Run. Run, Ru, pass only when needed to physical receivers. No real speed threat on O.

Tough DL and LB.

Based on the first PS game, I bet we feature Tolbert and Di Marco and not really Shady so much.

Only excitement will be the occasional Shady gash or TT scramble.

Otherwise ? Paint drying.

All said, if the D is good, it's a winning formula.

I'll watch paint dry to 11-5 and a Wild Card birth.

Run. Run, Ru, pass only when needed to physical receivers. No real speed threat on O.

Tough DL and LB.

Based on the first PS game, I bet we feature Tolbert and Di Marco and not really Shady so much.

Admit it or not, our WR's are, at the every least, on par with last years group.

Admit it or not, our WR's are, at the every least, on par with last years group.

If Jones can run his combine 4.45 in pads, I agree.

We had either Goodwin or Sammy or both to take the top off a D.

ZJ is our deep threat now - to go with the sweet TT deep ball.

Modern NFL needs that guy to make a secondary worry.

Goodwin and Sammy were that guy for us ... both gone.

Tough DL and LB.

Is this sarcasm?

Basing anything on the first preseason game is ridiculous. DiMarco has 1 carry in his whole career. Come on.

What was our record with Watkins, Darby and whoever else you think may now be traded the last few seasons?

And you hope Beane knows what he's doing when it was clear as day that Whaley didn't?

That's nonsense logic.

I don't know what we plan on doing for a deep threat this year, that's my biggest concern on offense. Honestly even before Sammy trade it was a concern because who knows how many games he ends up playing at full health. I am thinking Beane is watching the waiver wire for a speed receiver, I don't think the Bills are done making moves yet.

Tough DL and LB.

Where's Lawrence Taylor?

I don't know what we plan on doing for a deep threat this year, that's my biggest concern on offense. Honestly even before Sammy trade it was a concern because who knows how many games he ends up playing at full health. I am thinking Beane is watching the waiver wire for a speed receiver, I don't think the Bills are done making moves yet.

Agree 100 %.

Zay was crazy good deep at ECU tho. Just never know if it translates.

Where's Lawrence Taylor?

Ha. Good one. Healthy Ragland ? Preston Brown ?

Far superior imo.

Watkins was basically nonexistent and a non factor. Woods was mediocre at best. Everybody else was below average.

We now have Matthews , Zay and Boldin. Compared to our 16 WR production, they should be a Massive upgrade.

Clay , Dimarco and Shady still.

We had the 10th best scoring O, I've warmed up to this move honestly.

We added serious ammunition for our future and didn't hamper our chances at contending this year.

Still excited to see TT with a competent D as well, still think he can be our guy.

Beane answered this question directly. He said it has nothing to do with his players vs Whaley' players, said he has no problem keeping players if they buy in to what they're trying to do.

They also seem to like a specific type of personality, and I'm not sure that was Sammy. If you look at the guys they've brought in, they are really 100% team first guys. Said they're willing to do whatever the team needs. It isn't about them or their stats and targets, it's only about winning. They're all about doing whatever the team needs them to do to win.

We will see in time if their approach is right. But we won't know for at least a few years, and we have no control over any of this stuff. So you may as well sit back and try to enjoy the ride...

Is this sarcasm?

Basing anything on the first preseason game is ridiculous. DiMarco has 1 carry in his whole career. Come on.

That's nonsense logic.

Meh. I'm judging by McD and Dennison teams they came from. Both ball control backgrounds.

We actively stockpiled All-Pro FB's - totally overt what the O is being designed to do - especially after today.

True dat 1st PS game is no reflection of the RS, but when the Bills had control of the LOS for a bit of time in the first half - steady dose of Tolbert.

Then it stalled when he couldn't convert 3rd and 1 because everyone in New Era knew what was coming.

They will b stubborn on the run. Bank it.

I was thinking the same thing. The injury thing with them was crazy last year.

And still had a top 10 scoring O. Think Beane and McD realized with an improved D and reliable WR, we can take a big step. Think they felt this O didn't need an elite WR to be more successful then last year. Instead of forcing to Watkins we have a bunch of reliable targets on any given play, including Clay, and added a 2nd and 3rd.

Dezmin Lewis 4.46 40 time (pro day)

Jordan Matthews 4.46 40 time

Zay Jones 4.45

Rashad Ross 4.36

I think were alright guys, just sayin.

I don't think they are done making moves by any means. I would be shocked if they didn't try to add players as rosters are cut to 53. I wouldn't even be surprised if we seen more trades. But I definitely expect players to be added to this roster.

I'm really not all that worried about finding a speedy receiver though. Getting a "burner" to run some go routes shouldn't be all that tough to find, IMO, if that's something they decide they need. I'm not sure how often Dennison's offense relies on plays like that to need a burner type. Zay Jones did alright as a deep threat in college. Maybe he can fill that role?

Now if you're talking about an all around good WR that can also be a deep threat, that'll be harder to find. I'm expecting more of a run & short pass w/YAC eat up the clock possession style offense though. If that's the case, then I think they have bigger, more pressing needs than a speedy WR (like defensive secondary!)

No question, the player turnover, both in terms of last seasons starters, and the entire roster, has been humungous between the Whaley/Rex regime and the Sean/Beane regime, more so than any other regime here in quite some time

Basically the entire 2016 WR and Secondary starting lineup is gone (7/24), so yes no starter from last year is safe, but if this regime doesn;t win games, mgmt won't be safe either, because turning over the roster doesn't necessarily equate to winning more games, ask all the other rookie HC and GM's that failed, time will tell...

jc

No question, the player turnover, both in terms of last seasons starters, and the entire roster, has been humungous between the Whaley/Rex regime and the Sean/Beane regime, more so than any other regime here in quite some time

Basically the entire 2016 WR and Secondary starting lineup is gone (7/24), so yes no starter from last year is safe, but if this regime doesn;t win games, mgmt won't be safe either, because turning over the roster doesn't necessarily equate to winning more games, ask all the other rookie HC and GM's that failed, time will tell...

jc

Yes, I believe they said there are 53 new players on the team this year (that's why I get a kick out of these people that say they need to at least match Rex's record since they kept Tyrod).

The turnover has been pretty extreme. But part of that was the way Whaley had the team set up going into free agency. They had a crazy amount of free agents, and with a new staff coming in, it was set up perfectly to see a lot of turn over.

I am think that this regime is safe for at least a few years, if not their whole 5 year contract. I don't think a Pegula expects this to be a 1-2 year process. He seems very sold on McDermott, and I don't think McDermott sold him on instant success. He sold him on long term success, and that takes time.

Like !cDermott said, when you change coaches and GMs it means that the organization is "sick", and it's going to take years to cure 17 years of sickness...

Edited by BillsFan4

Really....you don't get it?

Sammy ran a 4.43 Mathews ran a 4.46. Wipe the tears away.

11-5 and a Wild Card birth.

You made a joke. How funny. Good for you.

Dezmin Lewis 4.46 40 time (pro day)

Jordan Matthews 4.46 40 time

Zay Jones 4.45

Rashad Ross 4.36

I think were alright guys, just sayin.

Ridiculous point. Not just about straight line speed. Watkins avg 4 yards more per reception than Matthews and their 40 times are pretty similar.

Sounds like they have a plan > Sounds like they want their own guys

I few things I believe:

- New management does not equal same old Bills. It's as clean a slate as we can get.

- Bean/McD believed they will not make playoffs this year with Watkins and Darby. IMO, a reasonable analysis.

- If NE did this, most would praise their genius.

- I believe the new guys have a plan and want to control their own destiny.

- Watkins is still a huge injury risk.

- Bills were not interested in an either resigning an injured Watkins or break the bank to keep him long term.

- I believe Bills think it's a waste spend big money on WR. Better to have four decent receivers, a great QB, a good line, decent backs and a system that plays to strengths. See: GB, NE, etc.

- While I like Darby and his contract, he's hardly an elite CB and often the target of fan ire last year.

- More important, if McD et al didn't think Darby fit, then by all means, move him now and get something good in return.

- I'm very encouraged that the new management don't feel pressure to make unwise short-term decisions that could mare long-term success.

- Ive yet to see a football expert find fault in the moves.

I few things I believe:

- New management does not equal same old Bills. It's as clean a slate as we can get.

- Bean/McD believed they will not make playoffs this year with Watkins and Darby. IMO, a reasonable analysis.

- Bills were not interested in an either resigning an injured Watkins or break the bank to keep him long term.

- I believe Bills think it's a waste spend big money on WR. Better to have four decent receivers, a great QB, a good line, decent backs and a system that plays to strengths. See: GB, NE, etc.

- While I like Darby and his contract, he's hardly an elite CB and often the target of fan ire last year.

- More important, if McD et al didn't think Darby fit, then by all means, move him now and get something good in return.

- I'm very encouraged that the new management don't feel pressure to make unwise short-term decisions that could mare long-term success.

Because when the patriots make these moves they still win Superbowls

I really wish people would give the 'deep threat' stuff a long overdue rest! It's gotten the Bills absolutely NOWHERE over the past decade. It's to the point where I can't even remember the names of all the stellar 'deep threats' that have come and gone from OBD.

Run the ball and throw seven yard quick release passes. Move the chains. And then call a rub (pick) route at the goal line for a touchdown. Then repeat!

I really wish people would give the 'deep threat' stuff a long overdue rest! It's gotten the Bills absolutely NOWHERE over the past decade. It's to the point where I can't even remember the names of all the stellar 'deep threats' that have come and gone from OBD.

Run the ball and throw seven yard quick release passes. Move the chains. And then call a rub (pick) route at the goal line for a touchdown. Then repeat!

Eh, I get what you're saying, and there is truth to the idea that execution of short routes will prove ultimately successful, but the best passing teams have receivers who can both get open in the short game, and run past the defense when they try to play up to prevent the short stuff.

I remember a few years ago, when we had the functional Gailey offense, and when we didn't have speed on the field, and teams knew Fitz couldn't throw it deep to the edges, it killed the running game because the safeties knew nobody was going over top of them with Sammy, Jones, and Nelson on the field.

If the safeties actually have to play centerfield to keep the top on the defense, that is what opens up the underneath routes, and the run game with the safeties not up in the box, acting as 2 extra linebackers. If the focus is primarily the short pass and there is little threat of the deep ball, than almost NO passing game is accurate and efficient enough to beat that reliably enough to get down the field and score 7's at a game-winning pace.

I few things I believe:

Nice analysis.

I also don't put much stock in 'they want their own guys'. These are professionals who immediately started watching tape and taking into account what they've seen and heard in practices/private workouts, etc. I'm sure they also keep an eye on how they see the team as a whole and whether it has good chemistry. To think they would just trade/cut/release players simply because they want to bring in their own guys is silly. As everyone knows, don't win and the NFL becomes 'Not For Long'. They aren't going to jettison good players they think will help them win. What is happening here is they are willing to make some short term sacrifices for the hope of a long term payout.

so we can't discuss it and give our thoughts? You can leave if you don't like it

and you can kiss me where the sun don't shine. I just meant there is no use getting all upset over something we can't change. I didn't realize I had to explain that to you, but oh well!

Beane answered this question directly. He said it has nothing to do with his players vs Whaley' players, said he has no problem keeping players if they buy in to what they're trying to do.

They also seem to like a specific type of personality, and I'm not sure that was Sammy. If you look at the guys they've brought in, they are really 100% team first guys. Said they're willing to do whatever the team needs. It isn't about them or their stats and targets, it's only about winning. They're all about doing whatever the team needs them to do to win.

We will see in time if their approach is right. But we won't know for at least a few years, and we have no control over any of this stuff. So you may as well sit back and try to enjoy the ride...

And not lose our minds complaining about every little possibility????

Come on, man!!!!

Where is the fun in that?

Edited by Buffalo Boy