Unworthy HOF members

I'm definitely not leading the parade for him to get in the HOF but with 2 rings, will have over 50,000 passing yards when he retires, will probably have close to 400 passing TD's and he's likable to the writers....I think they vote him in.

Yeah - he won't be a first ballot guy without an MVP or all-pro appearance. 200 straight games and counting though is pretty cool.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troy Aikman. Got to QB an offense with one of the greatest RBs ever (is Emmitt top 3 or top 5?), a top notch blocking FB, an amazing talent at WR in Irvin, and unbelievable OL.

He's 34th all time in yards, by my look 16 of the guys ahead of him retired after him or are still active. 68th in TDs. Career stats averaged out over his 12 years: 2745 yards, 13.75 TD, 11.75 INT. Even though he didn't play in the same era as today's QBs, that's....kind of putrid. The only thing he has going for him is 3 rings.

I argued this very same player not being HOF worthy on the other message board and I get flamed hard for it. I think he benefited from a great team.

Baseballs only tricky because the old timers actually played significantly longer than they do now. So like the 300 win threshold is sooo much tougher for pitchers now. And 3000 hits is just a gauntlet

Fair points.

Let's look at the list...

Here's 12 I'd move to the Hall of Good:

Jerome Bettis

Nick Buoniconti

Harry Carson

Cris Carter

Fred Dean

Tony Dungy

Cortez Kennedy

Art Monk

Jackie Smith

Jason Taylor

Andre Tippett

Aeneas Williams

And obviously 1 ex-Bill goes to the Hall of Shame:

Ralph C. Wilson

you're off base with Jason Taylor and Andre Tippett.

Tippett was the 2nd most feared LB of the 80s after LT. He played the same style and was a force, just overshadowed by LT. 100 sacks for a linebacker is absurd and he was named to the 2nd team all 80s by the HOF.

Jason Taylor is one of the premier DE/LB of the 00s, in his prime no one was feared more because he could change the game with a strip, pick or sack.

139.5 sacks

775 tackles

46 forced fumbles

29 recoveries

8 int

9 td

1x DPOY, 3x 1st team All Pro, 2nd team All 00s team by HOF

Carter and Monk look worse now because of the explosion of passing in the game, but at the time they retired they were #2 and #3 in receptions and yards. That's a HOF'er

Edited by Runninrams

I also do not think Terrell Davis should be in. He had 4 good years, 3 mediocre years. He played on a team that chop blocked like crazy. I am always surprised how much support he gets.

It's kind of inconsistent though. When a guy like T.O. isn't in yet it doesn't seem like it is too easy to make the HOF. Tim Brown is another guy I thought had to wait longer than he should have.

TO should be in based on numbers alone but he destroyed locker rooms and was a terrible teammate.....I think it is fair that is considered. At times he made his team worse even with his immense talent. I do still think he should be in but that is the reason he is not.

Joe Namath definitely belongs in the HOF. It's not always about stats, but the impact they had on the game during their era. His stats

don't stink, although in 1967 he did become the first qb to throw for over 4,000 yards ( in 12 games). But I think he's mainly in the

Hall because of this:

He quarterbacked the first AFL team to win the Super Bowl, and it was not a fluke win.

This was a huge breakthrough for the league which, at the time, a big part of the nation viewed the AFL as a bush league.

He influenced the personality of professional sports just simply by how he lived off the field in a glamorous city, NYC. (the cult of

personality, if you will.)

The impact of the above points, influenced other sports and athletes for many years afterward.

He really did leave quite a legacy, and by 1985, he was voted in. It's a game of human beings, not machines or computers spitting

out stats.

Joe Namath should not be in the HOF. Overall, he was a terrible QB.

He was the man.

He won the game.

Sorry that modern day stats, screamed out by people who couldn't throw a spiral 10 feet, have convinced people he wasn't great.

It's a decent story, quite a bit overblown in my opinion. Should have nothing to do with being a HOF'er or not.

I disagree and I have consistently argued that the HoF should be about stories as much as stats.

EDIT: same applies to Namath for me. Stories as much as stats.

Edited by GunnerBill

He was the man.

He won the game.

Sorry that modern day stats, screamed out by people who couldn't throw a spiral 10 feet, have convinced people he wasn't great.

He didn't have good stats in any era. In fact....they were awful.

He won the game? His zero TD performance and 206 yards won that game?

Maybe you're impressed by his career 50% completion percentage? Maybe him throwing 47 more INT's than TD's? Maybe that he only threw for more than 3,000 yards twice....197 yards per game average?

I did not read thru all the pages, but seeing people on here question joe namath's induction into the HOF tells me there are lots of total jackasses on here.. is this place full of uninformed , know-it-all millennials? for crissakes, nobody had the accuracy, release like him.. he had two damaged knees.. mind-boggling

Edited by dwight in philly

I did not read thru all the pages, but seeing people on here question joe namath's induction into the HOF tells me there are lots of total jackasses on here.. is this place full of uninformed , know-it-all millennials?

Namath is far more worthy than a token like Warren Moon. Even for the HOF, stats are still for losers.

Tell me why Joe Namath belongs in the Hall?

Can't write the history of the game without him.

Namath is far more worthy than a token like Warren Moon. Even for the HOF, stats are still for losers.

Can't write the history of the game without him.

I guess you don't believe on field performance matters.

stop playing Madden and do some research, read a couple of books on the NFL.. , the AFL, history of the league

I don't play Madden and haven't in 20 years.

So you're another that doesn't believe on the field performance should matter to get in the HOF.

I guess you don't believe on field performance matters.

I don't play Madden and haven't in 20 years.

So you're another that doesn't believe on the field performance should matter to get in the HOF.

i actually do , hence the reason he is in.

Okay so his zero TD and 206 yards passing was a great performance or something?

It wasn't the Jets defense that held the Colts to 7 points that won the game?

you may want to stop..

Nevertheless, it's the Hall of FAME, and the Jets winning that game made him an ICON. Looking at the big picture, I'd say there are very few players in the HOF more worthy than him.

i actually do , hence the reason he is in.

you may want to stop..

Really.

These are HOF numbers to you?

TD/INT ratio of 173/220. He threw 47 more INT's than TD's. I can't name another player with his TD/INT ratio so lopsided.

His career completion percentage is 50%. 6 out of his 12 seasons, he was in the 40's for completion percentage. He is #171 out of a 185 who qualify. One of the worst in NFL history.

His career QB rating is 65.5. This is one of the worst in NFL history. Literally he's #167 out of a possible 185 who qualify.

That absolutely screams Hall of Fame!

Nevertheless, it's the Hall of FAME, and the Jets winning that game made him an ICON. Looking at the big picture, I'd say there are very few players in the HOF more worthy than him.

I'd rather on field performance get you in the HOF rather than words out of your mouth. That's all he did.

Edited by Teeflebees

Really.

These are HOF numbers to you?

TD/INT ratio of 173/220. He threw 47 more INT's than TD's. I can't name another player with his TD/INT ratio so lopsided.

His career completion percentage is 50%. 6 out of his 12 seasons, he was in the 40's for completion percentage.

His career QB rating is 65.5. This is one of the worst in NFL history. Literally he's #167 out of a possible 185 who qualify.

That absolutely screams Hall of Fame!

Again.. read up on the game of NFL football.. quoting stats in regard to whether Namath, or , any player is HOF worthy is foolish

Edited by dwight in philly

If they are in then they should be in. They was voted in by the fans and their peers. Congrats to all that made it, just appreciate it. Some of you guys wasn't born or too little to appreciate their accomplishments.

This isn't the Pro-Bowl. That's not how the voting works for the HOF.

stop playing Madden and do some research, read a couple of books on the NFL.. , the AFL, history of the league

So maybe he should have an asterisk that says *Not in HOF for statistical value

I had to call in the big guns on this so I just called my father and asked him about joe Namath. Taught me everything I know after all.

After deliberation he said that Namath was good enough to win the SB and man enough to wear pantyhose ;p

I love my father

Again.. read up on the game of NFL football.. quoting stats in regard to whether Namath, or , any player is HOF worth is foolhardy.

Stats are the way you measure on field performance. If they weren't important, we wouldn't keep them. He's one of the worst in NFL history in this category.

Foolhardy huh? So you're just measuring a player whether or not he deserves to be in the HOF with what?

I'm sure the voters didn't vote in players like Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, Walter Payton, Steve Largent, Bruce Smith, Reggie White etc....because of their statistical performances.

I know about Namath, I have been following football for a long time and know the history. I'm very educated on the game. I know what he did.

Coincidentally this topic was on the Dan Patrick Show not too long ago. Dan Patrick also believes that Namath shouldn't be in the HOF and laughs at the idea he is in.

Doesn't mean he's right because this is subjective but I think he's a guy that knows about sports. So it's not a "millenial jackass" type of thing which you said.

Here's more articles about it. Again, this is subjective so there isn't a right or wrong. I'm sure not all these articles are written by jackass millenials.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/416539-why-broadway-joe-should-not-be-in-the-hall-of-fame

http://www.thesportster.com/football/8-players-who-dont-belong-in-the-nfl-hall-of-fame-and-8-who-do/

Stats are the way you measure on field performance. If they weren't important, we wouldn't keep them. He's one of the worst in NFL history in this category.

Foolhardy huh? So you're just measuring a player whether or not he deserves to be in the HOF with what?

I'm sure the voters didn't vote in players like Jerry Rice, Emmit Smith, Walter Payton, Steve Largent, Bruce Smith, Reggie White etc....because of their statistical performances.

I know about Namath, I have been following football for a long time and know the history. I'm very educated on the game. I know what he did.

Coincidentally this topic was on the Dan Patrick Show not too long ago. Dan Patrick also believes that Namath shouldn't be in the HOF and laughs at the idea he is in.

Doesn't mean he's right because this is subjective but I think he's a guy that knows about sports. So it's not a "millenial jackass" type of thing which you said.

Here's more articles about it. Again, this is subjective so there isn't a right or wrong. I'm sure not all these articles are written by jackass millenials.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/416539-why-broadway-joe-should-not-be-in-the-hall-of-fame

http://www.thesportster.com/football/8-players-who-dont-belong-in-the-nfl-hall-of-fame-and-8-who-do/

Pop culture nonsense .. im done.

The Jets offense played good enough to win that SB. That's all that mattered. Not the fact that Namath didn't throw 4 or 5 td's.

Kurt Warner should absolutely be in. he took 2 different teams to the super bowl. they weren't glamour teams either. the rams and the cardinals enjoyed probably the most success in their history with him guiding them.

Well the greatest show on turf was kinda a glamour team

Pop culture nonsense .. im done.

Pop culture....LOL.

I think you didn't realize how bad he really was until I gave you this information...now it's nonsense.

Since Pete Gogolak was the pioneer of the soccer style kicking? Kicking changed after him forever. Maybe he should be in the Hall.

The Jets offense played good enough to win that SB. That's all that mattered. Not the fact that Namath didn't throw 4 or 5 td's.

I would say the defense played good enough to win that game.

Gave up 7 points to a team that averaged 28.

Never mentioned or alluded that he needed to do that. He just didn't do much. Snell should have won MVP. 130 yards on the ground and their only TD.