Unworthy HOF members

Two of the all time great DTs? Couldn't disagree more on them.

I'm probably being too tough on Cortez Kennedy, I know how great he was. I'm more on the fence with him as being in the Hall of Fame.

As for John Randle, yes he had his moments, but he really faded the last 4-5 years of his career. I don't think he deserves it.

Can't agree at all about Kevin Greene. He's behind only Bruce Smith and Reggie White for all time sacks.

John Randle is 9th all time as a DT.

Cortez Kennedy was an absolute monster.

Yes Greene is 3rd all-time in sacks, after that the similarities between him, Bruce & Reggie disappear.

Bruce Smith & Reggie White weren't just sack artists, they were dominant defensive ends who were great against the run too. That's why I also think Jason Taylor is not as worthy.

Other players i would kick out of the Hall:

Cris Carter

Harry Carson

Warren Sapp

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Troy Aikman. Got to QB an offense with one of the greatest RBs ever (is Emmitt top 3 or top 5?), a top notch blocking FB, an amazing talent at WR in Irvin, and unbelievable OL.

He's 34th all time in yards, by my look 16 of the guys ahead of him retired after him or are still active. 68th in TDs. Career stats averaged out over his 12 years: 2745 yards, 13.75 TD, 11.75 INT. Even though he didn't play in the same era as today's QBs, that's....kind of putrid. The only thing he has going for him is 3 rings.

Yeah....Aikman is a good one.

I guess what got him in is he made big throws in big playoff games and the Super Bowls.

Outside of that, he was basically Kyle Orton most of his career.

Aikman's playoff and Super Bowl performances are what have him in the HOF.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

If he threw more, shouldn't he have also had more TD's? I can't think of anyone who has a worse TD/INT ratio. He's -47 in that department.

He had one 4000 yard season and two 3,000 yard season in his 12 years as a QB. He averaged 197 yards passing per game played.

Yeah Reed isn't anywhere at the level as Rice

Reed when he retired was 3rd all time in receptions and top 10 in TD's (I think). It also can be argued he was the greatest Run After Catch WR of all time.

That's what it was! He was the first qb to throw for 4000 yards!

I guess A good test would be to look up golden arms stats vs broadway joe.

2 old school guys who played in different eras

I'm probably being too tough on Cortez Kennedy, I know how great he was. I'm more on the fence with him as being in the Hall of Fame.

As for John Randle, yes he had his moments, but he really faded the last 4-5 years of his career. I don't think he deserves it.

Yes Greene is 3rd all-time in sacks, after that the similarities between him, Bruce & Reggie disappear.

Bruce Smith & Reggie White weren't just sack artists, they were dominant defensive ends who were great against the run too. That's why I also think Jason Taylor is not as worthy.

Other players i would kick out of the Hall:

Cris Carter

Harry Carson

Warren Sapp

Why do we need to compare White/Smith with Greene? They played different positions. HOF worthy depends on what you did as a player not being compared what others did.

Greene was a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 defense in his career and is 3rd all time in sacks. That man makes the HOF.

Terrell Davis rushed for 1140 yards and 12 TDs in 8 playoff games. Prorated, that's a 2280-yard, 24 rushing TD regular season. The numbers are staggeringly great, and postseason production should absolutely be rewarded. They're the most important games! He's a grade A hall of famer in my book.

In those 8 games, he ran for over 100 yards in all of them except one, and in that game he had 91 yards on 14 carries.

Edited by dave mcbride

Troy Aikman. Got to QB an offense with one of the greatest RBs ever (is Emmitt top 3 or top 5?), a top notch blocking FB, an amazing talent at WR in Irvin, and unbelievable OL.

He's 34th all time in yards, by my look 16 of the guys ahead of him retired after him or are still active. 68th in TDs. Career stats averaged out over his 12 years: 2745 yards, 13.75 TD, 11.75 INT. Even though he didn't play in the same era as today's QBs, that's....kind of putrid. The only thing he has going for him is 3 rings.

nether I have

B.Sanders

W. Payton

OJ. Simpson

J. Brown

L.T

A.P

M.F

T. Thomas

All Smith had going for him was his Oline and playing what 17 years

Let's look at the list...

Here's 12 I'd move to the Hall of Good:

Jerome Bettis

Nick Buoniconti

Harry Carson

Cris Carter

Fred Dean

Tony Dungy

Cortez Kennedy

Art Monk

Jackie Smith

Jason Taylor

Andre Tippett

Aeneas Williams

And obviously 1 ex-Bill goes to the Hall of Shame:

Ralph C. Wilson

I disagree with you on this one.

Aeneas Williams was one of the best CB's to play the game. Personally I think he was better than Deion Sanders. Williams was a difference maker. His biggest problem is that he played for the Cardinals.

I do too, but Flacco doesn't. One great playoff run isn't enough.

Eli gets in not just for the 2 SB victories. He gets in because of who his team beat as well.

Kurt Warner absolutely deserves to be in the HOF.

Terrell Davis on the other hand...

See above re Davis. Seriously, check out the postseason numbers. They're arguably the greatest in NFL history.

Edited by dave mcbride

Why do we need to compare White/Smith with Greene? They played different positions. HOF worthy depends on what you did as a player not being compared what others did.

Greene was a pass rushing OLB in a 3-4 defense in his career and is 3rd all time in sacks. That man makes the HOF.

You are the one who brought up the stats with Bruce Smith & Reggie White.

Regardless of that, Kevin Greene was a valuable OLB to the teams he played for, but he was not THE dominant player of the defense. There were many times in games where he was invisible.

He was very good, but not enough of a difference maker.

Hall Of Fame members who should be booted out:

Jerome Bettis

Thank You! Kept waiting for someone to chime in about Bettis. He's is definitely a player on the top of that list IMO. What's his career rushing average 3.8ypc? Just because you played a longtime, were given attempt after attempt and racked up a bunch of yards doesn't mean you were any good and made the most of every opportunity. And he offered next to nothing as a receiving threat too.

I 100% think Warner deserves to be in.

TD is always a toss up but I am fine with him getting in. He is basically the opposite of Jerome Bettis. It does open up the possibility of other palyers getting in with short careers though. Priest Holmes put up some amazing numbers for like three seasons.

Right on time given the subject of the thread.

@SInow

Terrell Davis’s Hall induction and the value of postseason production. @TimRohan’s story: https://www.si.com/2017/08/01/pro-football-hall-fame-2017-induction-weekend-terrell-davis

Yup; good catch. As I mentioned, the postseason numbers are mind-boggling, and it's not a small sample size.

one of the greatest RBs ever (is Emmitt top 3 or top 5?)

11 straight 1,000 yard seasons, 9 out of 11 were 1200+ yards.

I don't think we'll see a run like that ever again.

He is absolutely top 5, and you wouldn't be off your rocker by saying he's top 3.

I'd go Payton - Brown - Sanders - Emmitt, so he'd be my #4.