Unworthy HOF members

My overall take is it's too easy to make the football HOF and too difficult to make the baseball HOF.

It's kind of inconsistent though. When a guy like T.O. isn't in yet it doesn't seem like it is too easy to make the HOF. Tim Brown is another guy I thought had to wait longer than he should have.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok last thread start for the day. With the new HOF member induction this week, I thought I would start a thread on those players I think were overrated and dis not deserve enshrinement

Lynn Swan - he simply does not have the numbers. He has the highlight reel catches but not the career numbers to justify HOF status.

As for this year, I don't think Kurt Warner nor Terrell Davis should have been voted in. Certainly not before TO.

Warner didn't play in the NFL until 27 - and basically out of nowhere was the best player in the league. He also won 2 MVP awards in his first 3 years starting.

You are the one who brought up the stats with Bruce Smith & Reggie White.

Regardless of that, Kevin Greene was a valuable OLB to the teams he played for, but he was not THE dominant player of the defense. There were many times in games where he was invisible.

He was very good, but not enough of a difference maker.

I brought up the stats to show you where he ranks all time and not to do a comparison.

Only two players in the history of the NFL have sacked the QB more than him and he's not a difference maker. Getting to the QB is one of the most important aspects of the game. Bruce Smith had 267 starts, Reggie White 228 and Greene had 176. Put up close to the same sacks while playing in many less games.

Greene was dominant. But even if he wasn't the most dominant because the Steelers were loaded....that means he's not HOF worthy? Only one dominant player per team can make the HOF? So Ed Reed shouldn't get in the HOF because Ray Lewis was THE dominant player?

Kevin Greene was a 5x Pro Bowler, 3x All Pro, NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1996, NFC Defensive Player of the Year in 1996, led the league in sacks twice and is on the 90's all decade team. How in the world is that not a Hall of Famer? Especially since he's 3rd all time in the job he was supposed to do....get to the QB.

It's kind of inconsistent though. When a guy like T.O. isn't in yet it doesn't seem like it is too easy to make the HOF. Tim Brown is another guy I thought had to wait longer than he should have.

Owens was a 5 time AP first team all-pro player. Tim Brown was a 0 time AP first team all-pro player.

That means - at no point in his career was he ever THE dominant Wide receiver in the NFL.

Edited by dneveu

Really? I know he has two rings but he has been hot and cold most of his career. That said, you may be right.

I'm definitely not leading the parade for him to get in the HOF but with 2 rings, will have over 50,000 passing yards when he retires, will probably have close to 400 passing TD's and he's likable to the writers....I think they vote him in.

Bettis is hard to justify.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00.htm

3.9 ypa on his career, only two all-pro seasons.

Similar to what Frank Gore will probably be - inducted because he was good for a long time. But not a dominant/game-changing player, which is what I think of for a HoFer.

When you look at the guys behind Bettis for all-time rushing yards - dominating, electric guys like Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Thurman Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Terrell Davis, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen - you have to recognize that accumulated yards don't mean everything.

Owens was a 5 time AP first team all-pro player. Tim Brown was a 0 time AP first team all-pro player.

That means - at no point in his career was he ever THE dominant Wide receiver in the NFL.

Maybe not, be was a very, very good player for a very long time.

If you get 1,000 catches in the league, you're probably going to the HOF, regardless of how "good" you were.

Bettis is hard to justify.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BettJe00.htm

3.9 ypa on his career, only two all-pro seasons.

Similar to what Frank Gore will probably be - inducted because he was good for a long time. But not a dominant/game-changing player, which is what I think of for a HoFer.

When you look at the guys behind Bettis for all-time rushing yards - dominating, electric guys like Jim Brown, Eric Dickerson, Thurman Thomas, Adrian Peterson, Terrell Davis, OJ Simpson, Marcus Allen - you have to recognize that accumulated yards don't mean everything.

They like to reward longevity for sure. Need to hit certain milestones.

Agreed - im just saying there's a reason he's not a no-doubt first ballot guy

Not saying he should have been first ballot. But the guy had to wait SIX YEARS to get in. At the time he retired he was second all time only to Jerry Rice in receiving yards. He had nearly a 1,000 more receiving yards then the next player on the list at #3.

I'd argue Brown probably should have easily been in by year 3 or at worse year 4 of eligibility.