Unworthy HOF members

As for this year, Jason Taylor has no business being a first time ballot entry, he could have waited. In fact you could make a case that Jason Taylor does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame at all.

Terrell Davis & Morten Andersen are not worthy at all.

Hall Of Fame members who should be booted out:

Joe Namath

Kevin Greene

Jerome Bettis

John Stallworth

Cortez Kennedy

John Randle

Can't think of any others right now.

Two of the all time great DTs? Couldn't disagree more on them.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for this year, Jason Taylor has no business being a first time ballot entry, he could have waited. In fact you could make a case that Jason Taylor does not deserve to be in the Hall of Fame at all.

Joe Namath

Kevin Greene

Jerome Bettis

John Stallworth

Cortez Kennedy

John Randle

Can't agree at all about Kevin Greene. He's behind only Bruce Smith and Reggie White for all time sacks.

John Randle is 9th all time as a DT.

Cortez Kennedy was an absolute monster.

Edited by Teeflebees

Can't agree at all about Kevin Greene. He's behind only Bruce Smith and Reggie White for all time sacks.

John Randle is 9th all time as a DT.

Cortez Kennedy was an absolute monster.

Both of those guys are far more worthy than Jim Kelly and Marv Levy.

I'd agree with you on Kurt Warner, don't think he had a long enough career. Plus would prefer not having to see TV shots of Kurt's wife all weekend!

My overall take is it's too easy to make the football HOF and too difficult to make the baseball HOF.

Ok last thread start for the day. With the new HOF member induction this week, I thought I would start a thread on those players I think were overrated and dis not deserve enshrinement

Lynn Swan - he simply does not have the numbers. He has the highlight reel catches but not the career numbers to justify HOF status.

As for this year, I don't think Kurt Warner nor Terrell Davis should have been voted in. Certainly not before TO.

I think what really helped both both Warner and Davis is that they are good guys. They represent the NFL as positive role models for a sport that has its share of players with negative behavior. Their performance on the field and formal achievements may not have been the greatest compared to others. For instance, Davis had a short career and didn't put up huge career numbers because of it. In Warner's case, his overall numbers are pretty average, as well (67-49 career record, for example). But, again, they're good guys. I think that helps their cause and kind of explains why Owens is not in.

With that said, I really do not want to see Ray Lewis or Rodney Harrison inducted because they were suspect people. According to many sources, "Lewis got off with obstruction of justice for testifying against two people for the murders of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar, but not before he was tried for murder and aggravated assault." And Harrison, "developed a reputation as a dirty player while playing safety for the Chargers and Patriots, and that led to multiple fines that totaled more than $200,000. He was suspended for one game in 2002 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Jerry Rice, and again in 2007 for violating the league’s substance abuse policy."

Admittedly, my dislike for these two players is skewed by being a die hard Bills fan (especially in Harrison's case), but if the NFL punishes Owens, why not Lewis and Harrison, as well.

no offense to the old timers but a lot of those guys wouldn't even make a practice squad in today's NFL. bigger, stronger, faster. you can probably say the same about any sport though

I think some players would translate quite well, others, not so much.

Gale Sayers on the Saints, or Deacon Jones on the Broncos, would destroy people. Just annihilate the opposition.

I don't think the slim downed tackles, guards and ILBs of old would stand a chance.

I'll ask this - does Marshawn get in if he stayed retired? Didn't have the career accumulation numbers, but he had a TD lite run for ~4.5 years with Seattle and some above average years here, I'd say absolutely.

Edited by TheElectricCompany

Let's look at the list...

Here's 12 I'd move to the Hall of Good:

Jerome Bettis
Nick Buoniconti
Harry Carson
Cris Carter
Fred Dean
Tony Dungy
Cortez Kennedy
Art Monk
Jackie Smith
Jason Taylor
Andre Tippett
Aeneas Williams

And obviously 1 ex-Bill goes to the Hall of Shame:

Ralph C. Wilson

Joe Namath

Kevin Greene

Jerome Bettis

John Stallworth

Cortez Kennedy

John Randle

Cortez Kennedy??

Rather cruel considering he's dead.

Why is Cortez Kennedy mentioned on here twice? The guy was an absolute beast on the field for many years.

To be fair, I didn't watch the Seahawks as much as other teams, but I didn't see a HOF-er when I did.

It's a case of whether or not you believe it should be about the entire career or what the represented at a time in the NFL.

Kurt Warner and the greatest show on turf was a very big moment for the NFL. It was just insane what they were doing. FFL leagues had him, Bruce, and Warner going 1-2-3. Never have I seen such a thing.

TD just couldn't stay healthy. But when he did for those few seasons, I'd compare him to any RB in history. He was just a tank.

I can see both sides of it. But for me, I want to walk the hall of fame and see the transition of greatness through history. Those two and what they represented were part of that.

I'll get flamed here, but Andre Reed is less deserving that those two. He was very good for a long time, but never dominant. To me, I'd rather have TD in his prime on my team than Andre Reed.

You deserve to be flamed, Andre Reed was dominant.

Because of him? Was it his 206 yards passing with zero TD's the reason they won the game or was it because the Jets defense held the Colts to 7 points?

Namath has a career 50% completion percentage (awful), TD/INT is 173/220 (awful), career QB rating 65.5 (awful)

He was a pretty bad QB.

But he also was throwing more than any qb in the league also. He had a lot of passing yards records iirc

Stats sucks in modern terms 200%

Where to start?? There are many I feel shouldn't be in the hall. Warner, Davis, and Swann shouldn't be in. Neither should warren sapp or Joe Namath as others have mentioned. To me, you need to be great to get in, not good. Great is Joe Montana, Jerry Rice, etc...

But he also was throwing more than any qb in the league also. He had a lot of passing yards records iirc

Stats sucks in modern terms 200%

If he threw more, shouldn't he have also had more TD's? I can't think of anyone who has a worse TD/INT ratio. He's -47 in that department.

He had one 4000 yard season and two 3,000 yard season in his 12 years as a QB. He averaged 197 yards passing per game played.

Jerry Rice defines dominance. Andre was very good, but never dominant.

Yeah Reed isn't anywhere at the level as Rice

Reed when he retired was 3rd all time in receptions and top 10 in TD's (I think). It also can be argued he was the greatest Run After Catch WR of all time.

Troy Aikman. Got to QB an offense with one of the greatest RBs ever (is Emmitt top 3 or top 5?), a top notch blocking FB, an amazing talent at WR in Irvin, and unbelievable OL.

He's 34th all time in yards, by my look 16 of the guys ahead of him retired after him or are still active. 68th in TDs. Career stats averaged out over his 12 years: 2745 yards, 13.75 TD, 11.75 INT. Even though he didn't play in the same era as today's QBs, that's....kind of putrid. The only thing he has going for him is 3 rings.

Troy Aikman. Got to QB an offense with one of the greatest RBs ever (is Emmitt top 3 or top 5?), a top notch blocking FB, an amazing talent at WR in Irvin, and unbelievable OL.

He's 34th all time in yards, by my look 16 of the guys ahead of him retired after him or are still active. 68th in TDs. Career stats averaged out over his 12 years: 2745 yards, 13.75 TD, 11.75 INT. Even though he didn't play in the same era as today's QBs, that's....kind of putrid. The only thing he has going for him is 3 rings.

Yeah....Aikman is a good one.

I guess what got him in is he made big throws in big playoff games and the Super Bowls.

Outside of that, he was basically Kyle Orton most of his career.