Astro-Notes: 8-2-17 Sixth Practice

Astrobot

I finally ran into a guy who lives closer to camp than I: Mike McD. He was an excellent spotter, and these notes reflect it in terms of accuracy. Thanks, Mike! See you tomorrow!

We also ran into Pat Kirwin, NFL Analyst for Sirius. He told me to call into his show and report about the Bills. May take him up on it.

It's a beautiful day in Ro-cha-cha, with cirrus clouds wand 80 degree temperatures. Camp is heating up. We had our first good fight due to the relentlessness of a swarming defense, a couple of injuries (Ola and Hyde, both look okay), and some clarification in the pecking order. Let's get to it.

Jason Croom is taking extra pre-practice work on the JUGS machine. He's your #4 TE for now, with Logan Thomas beginning to separate himself from the six. It's Clay and O'Leary always together in positionals, always demonstrating the kind of blocking that Bob Boras wants them to do, and Croom and Logan Thomas are first to try and replicate it, Last to leave the indoor practice facility are Dareus, Deandre Coleman, Ian Seau (walking with a slight limp), and ..who's this bringing up the rear? It's Sean McDermott jogging with a redder-than-usual face and a sheepish grin on his face. He's allowed himself 3 minutes to jog to the field before that air horn starts Kick Return practice, and...he makes it in time!

Clay, O'Leary, and Micah Hyde each do a drill with an assistant, juggling 2 tennis balls between them to build eye-hand reflexes.

During kick return drills, Rashad Ross, likely the third string KR, is shagging the kickoffs, with Powell alternating. Powell's the 54th man, because he's suspended and doesn't count toward the 53. His missing four weeks, plus Tate's injury, paves the way for Ross to slip into the 53 if Tate doesn't make it back. Up backs on kick return are O'Neal, Jordan Johnson, Wes Saxton, and Croom. Danny Crossman, who's hung in there as coach through 3 coaching changes as Mike McD reminds me, is very vocal, getting the blocking down right for the upcoming season.

During calisthenics (the longest I've ever seen at Fisher) we give a shout-out to players going for deeper stretches, more effort, and higher knee lifts. Today's winners are Jordan Poyer, Marquavius Lewis (a favorite of mine), Eric Wood on knee lifts, and ...who's this? Marcell Dareus --his first time on any effort list from me! He went deeper into a stretch-and-twist move. Deandre Coleman gets the least-effort award today. To be fair, yesterday's slackers did much better, so here's to you, Jordan Mills and John Miller! Unlike any other summer at Fisher, the HC is right in the midst of calisthenics, cheering his men on and even doing some of the stretches. Sean McDermott does it, Marv Levy wished he could've done it, and Rex couldn't do it. Tyrod is the most flexible of the skill-position players. He's like a rubber band (gum band if you're from PGH).

Positional Drills looked like this:

• TEs have a new blocking instruction. All eyes are glued to Bob Boras the TE Coach as he gives instruction. I take that to mean he's giving new information even to the veterans, and they're eating it up. Boras, Waufle, and Crossman do the most chirping, although Gil Byrd was letting people know he was around yesterday.
  • OL work seemed to emphasize getting into stance quickly. I learned a lot from DraftTek's OL Analyst, and it helps watching these guys. Groy is going to be a stud, even if we don't see him on the field. Groy, Karim Barton, and Miller, and Michael Ola show perfect stance, and so does Dawkins. Dawkins is a "wider slider", covering lots of ground laterally, which Seantrel Henderson also does well. These guys mentioned get "into their chair" --the perfect position for an OL. Eric Wood is too upright; a swift punch from a bullrusher is going to take that position and drive him back. Which is what happens.
  • You have to love the crispness of the QB drill. The QBs are getting one rep sometimes, but the next QB is up and ready with no wasted time.
  • WR are running around the tackling dummy and getting a deeper throw compared to yesterday.
  • TE's are getting the better of the LBs in a receiving drill.
  • Rehkow almost beans the LBs with a wide-right errant kick.

Some installation is going on in this segment, with Tyrod to Watkins the highlight. Sammy's hand catches are a thing of beauty, with absolutely no movement of the ball after it touches his grip. This is in stark contrast to Holmes, who again double-handled the ball. Daikiel Shorts is looking better, and Zay Jones is running with the ones even more. Dez Lewis is looking consistent. I remark that Lewis has looked good in practice before, but not in games, so we'll see. It's a crowded field of 12 WRs.

Some observations:

• Croom is lighter, but a very good receiver. Had it not been for a great catch by Logan Thomas today, Croom's efforts would have shined brighter.
  • McCoy gets about 4 yards's separation being defended by Preston Brown. That's not Brown's fault. McCoy looks awesome. He said he could play 4 more years? I wouldn't bet against it.
  • Wes Saxton is intercepted by one of the backup DBs, then Pat DiMarco plucks the ball out of the air against Vallejo.
  • Joe Banyard does the same against Reggie Ragland despite Reggie's perfect positioning.
  • BT Sanders has another fine PBU against Charles Clay. He's swimming with the big fish, that one.
  • Hauschka had a great day. He's knocking them to the back line of the end zone from the 50 off a tee. Later he nails 4/4 FGs.The Bills are practicing 3rd and 15 from the 40. Tyrod passes to Shady for 5 yards, then the fire engine drill: Players line up quickly, Rehkow comes in, the ball is hiked on 2 seconds, and nails the FG from the 40. This is practiced again with each QB. Shout out to Philly Brown who ducks under Ronald Darby's tackle and would have made the first down during the fire engine drill!
  • One of the prettier passes was Tyrod to Zay Jones today, a deep ball to Zay JOnes. We'll see that one in the fall. One of the better blockers on these plays was Jeremy Butler, the recipient of Tyrod's first-ever TD with the Ravens.

In the 11 on 11's:

• The D-Line was offsides a lot today. This can't happen.
  • McCoy had a sweet sidestep of Kyle Williams' tackle, and takes it for a long gain.
  • Seantrel got time with the ones at both tackle positions. So glad he's putting his Crohns' Disease and the weed suspension behind him. Do what you can do at the moment.
  • Dawkins and Mudge looked a little lost at the second level.
  • The swarming Defense caused a fight today. The D sometimes hits after the whistle, hold onto the ballcarrier too long, and tensions flare. They did today. Levy: "Don't be dumb, don't be dirty."
  • Peterman has a believable fake handoff. He fooled many in the crowd --and on the field.
  • Tolbert just plows ahead. He'll even be better in live action because of his stature and leg drive.
  • The Offense had to burn a timeout when Yates and WRs/RBs weren't communicating.

Against air:

• It was Watkins, Andre, and Zay with Zay out wide. The throw went to Clay on a neat play
  • Zay went into the slot next, but Tyrod fired too high.
  • Same play, but much more effective on a pass in the flat to McCoy. Big gain.
  • Woods had a mis-hike that got behind the QB.
  • Yates hands off to J-Williams for a short gain. On the next play, he fires it to Jeremy Butler, who turned backwards to catch it. Awkward form.
  • Yates checks off to O'Leary underneath for a <10 yard gain.
  • Powell, Jeremy Butler, and Philly Brown are Yates' receivers, while Peterman had Logan Thomas, Streater, Dez Lewis, and Daikiel Shorts. Most would have Streater and Shorts up with the 2s. It was not so.
  • Installing a trips right and trips left formation with 1 or 2 TEs. Very effective. The deep pass to Zay JOnes was a very satisfying TD, because Rico Dennison said we'd see the defense cheat up to defend the horizontal game, especially with Shady and the timing plays.

The second 11 on 11:

• Poyer was showing a Cover-1, but it sometimes went to a Cover-2 or 3. J-Williams' run was impressive; he's either the #2 or #3 RB depending on what you count Tolbert as.
  • Cordy is in there looking bigger and more muscular than last year. Sammy's in the slot with Holmes wide. Watkins gets Tyrod's attention on a well-executed comeback.
  • Watkins out wide, this time, Zay in the slot, Zay was WIDE OPEN on the L by 10 yards, but Tyrod threw into coverage on the R, and Hyde went down. He left under his own power, walked without a limp to the training room, and was back on the sidelines in 8 minutes.
  • Yates is mobile but not a Tyrod. Not a news flash. He got 3 yards on a QB rollout.
  • Philly Brown's the slot guy on this one with Streater wide and Logan Thomas on the other side. Effective use of Thomas, as he's a mismatch downfield for Yates to throw to.
  • Cedric O'Neal gets the reception on a swing pass, and shows toughness by running through about 3 defenders.
  • Jordan Johnson gets very little on the next play.
  • Castillo is getting in Mudge's face. Intense. Effective.
  • Henderson (OT), Karim Barton (OC) and Voytek (OT) are running with the threes.
  • Preston Brown yells a change in defensive alignment, but LeSean nets a lot of yards on a run outside the OT.
  • Lindsey, the Harvard guy, gets a would-be sack on Yates.
  • Peterman's pass to Streater looked like pass interference by Leonard Johnson, but there are refs for the first time today, and no call was made. The defense's big problem was offsides penalties with 3. Not PI.
  • Holmes was able to get separation against Darby.
  • Hyde returns to applause, teammates and coaches come over to give him hugs and high-fives.
  • Logan Thomas just decimates Shareece Wright. Major mismatch of size allowed Thomas to go up and get it.
  • Wright was out of the next play on a deke by J-Williams on a flare pass. Broke his ankles, figuratively speaking.

Thanks for reading these notes, Mr. Kirwan!

Many thanks again to Mike McD, who I hope I see tomorrow. These 68-yo eyes don't see numbers on the far side. His young eyes do.

Edited by Astrobot

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was out there today and a few things were concerning. They lack speed on the outside IMO. I don't like the design of the running game. The backup QBs are awful and Hyde got dinged.

A couple of things that I liked: Yarborough, Ragland organizing the d in the hurry up, Leonard Johnson had a nice practice, Powell's hands looked good and Sammy is great.

Wasn't watching as intently as Astro but overall I came out a little less optimistic. They just didn't look like a very good football team. The depth is scary. The dropoff in a lot of places is bigger than I anticipated.

Thanks, Astro.

I'm not setting high expectations, but Logan Thomas is intriguing. His size makes him a decent red zone option. Hopefully his blocking is adequate; Dennison likes to utilize multiple TEs. It would help a lot if Thomas is more than just a receiving threat, but I can see him being used a lot like Scott Chandler was (when he's on the field), with him running drag routes on bootleg passes between the 20s, and a tall target in the back of the end zone.

He's still very new to the position, and even though O'Leary is pretty average across the board (aside from toughness), I highly doubt Thomas can supplant him as the #2, and will likely just be a situational role player when both Clay and O'Leary are healthy.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

I was out there today and a few things were concerning. They lack speed on the outside IMO. I don't like the design of the running game. The backup QBs are awful and Hyde got dinged.

A couple of things that I liked: Yarborough, Ragland organizing the d in the hurry up, Leonard Johnson had a nice practice, Powell's hands looked good and Sammy is great.

Wasn't watching as intently as Astro but overall I came out a little less optimistic. They just didn't look like a very good football team. The depth is scary. The dropoff in a lot of places is bigger than I anticipated.

yeah - its early, and takes some time to come together for sure, but your concerns are certainly warranted.

Thanks, Astro.

I'm not setting high expectations, but Logan Thomas is intriguing. His size makes him a decent red zone option. Hopefully his blocking is adequate; Dennison likes to utilize multiple TEs. It would help a lot if Thomas is more than just a receiving threat, but I can see him being used a lot like Scott Chandler was, with him running drag routes on bootleg passes between the 20s, and a tall target in the back of the end zone.

He's still very new to the position, and even though O'Leary is pretty average across the board (aside from toughness), I highly doubt Thomas can supplant him as the #2, and will likely just be a situational role player when both Clay and O'Leary are healthy.

Felt he could be a Julius Thomas type Hybrid WR/TE. He'll never be as good a blocker because he's learning how to do it so late in the game. But you can't teach 6'6" 250

I just noticed the last portion you edited in, and it sounds like our camp is being run with the characteristics that we were expecting from McDermott: structured, detail oriented sessions, with little/no time being wasted. Solid foundation being laid, which should translate in-game. I fully expect to see less wasted time-outs and delay of game penalties due to poor communication from the sideline.

I just noticed the last portion you edited in, and it sounds like our camp is being run with the characteristics that we were expecting from McDermott: structured, detail oriented sessions, with little/no time being wasted. Solid foundation being laid, which should translate in-game. I fully expect to see less wasted time-outs and delay of game penalties due to poor communication from the sideline.

Hopefully we actually play in the preseason games. Use this as a chance to prepare for the season - coaching staff included. Dennison as far as i know has never called a game before so I'd like to see him do a good job there.

We came out so flat against Baltimore last year and it looked like we weren't prepared at all, plays barely getting in on time, and just players who were all sat during camp/preseason for fear of injury. I don't think our O-line even played much in the preseason games.

Felt he could be a Julius Thomas type Hybrid WR/TE. He'll never be as good a blocker because he's learning how to do it so late in the game. But you can't teach 6'6" 250

I just hope he isn't a total liability as a blocker, but I'm afraid he'll struggle against quicker edge rushers, and smaller guys that should get underneath him with ease, due to his height and lack of experience. If he can show to be at least a decent blocker (for the standard that I expect from him), it will help to not tip the hand of the play call, as a pass, when he's subbed in.

I just hope he isn't a total liability as a blocker, but I'm afraid he'll struggle against quicker edge rushers, and smaller guys that should get underneath him with ease, due to his height and lack of experience. If he can show to be at least a decent blocker (for the standard that I expect from him), it will help to not tip the hand of the play call, as a pass, when he's subbed in.

Yeah - but on a team with limited WR options outside of the top 2 or 3, he's at least an intriguing red zone option.

Run blockings usually easier too, so if they think pass we can still run.

Edited by dneveu

Hopefully we actually play in the preseason games. Use this as a chance to prepare for the season - coaching staff included. Dennison as far as i know has never called a game before so I'd like to see him do a good job there.

We came out so flat against Baltimore last year and it looked like we weren't prepared at all, plays barely getting in on time, and just players who were all sat during camp/preseason for fear of injury. I don't think our O-line even played much in the preseason games.

I was just thinking about that the other day. How teams look in preseason can be extremely misleading, and there were times last year where they looked "good to go", especially against the Giants.

It was a gaff by Rex. Go back to the 2015 preseason. McCoy is obviously a well established player, but he was being left on the field much, much longer than he should have, and was continuously getting pummeled, ultimately leading to an injury before week 1 that lingered all year. Defenses typically dominate in camp/preseason, and I think a lot of that is due to the lack of gelling of offensive lines.

Exceptions should be made for certain, established veterans, pertaining to playing time in preseason, but you cannot sacrifice cohesion for the fear of losing players to injury. I think Rex realized the mistake he made with McCoy in 2015, and applied a different strategy in the 2016 preseason, but to the entire starting offense, which was a mistake.

I was just thinking about that the other day. How teams look in preseason can be extremely misleading, and there were times last year where they looked "good to go", especially against the Giants.

It was a gaff by Rex. Go back to the 2015 preseason. McCoy is obviously a well established player, but he was being left on the field much, much longer than he should have, and was continuously getting pummeled, ultimately leading to an injury before week 1 that lingered all year. Defenses typically dominate in camp/preseason, and I think a lot of that is due to the lack of gelling of offensive lines.

Exceptions should be made for certain, established veterans, pertaining to playing time in preseason, but you cannot sacrifice cohesion for the fear of losing players to injury. I think Rex realized the mistake he made with McCoy in 2015, and applied a different strategy in the 2016 preseason, but to the entire starting offense, which was a mistake.

Yeah - i think he felt like, i got my guy at QB so he limited reps there after really doubling down on QB work in 2015. We just looked totally unprepared in that baltimore game. I think part of it might have been roman taking the lazy rex approach in the preseason too.

Is it not the same running game design used by Dennison/Kubiak in both Denver/ Houston to great success? Speed at Running Back or Wide Receiver?

Not really a surprise.

Like I said yesterday, the Bills are masters of !@#$ing up what previous regimes did well. Hope that's not the case with the run game.

If so, the decision to once again let the coach who ran the strong unit go (Lynn, and before that Schwartz) is going to look really really bad. Our defense is good, let the DC go. Our offense is good, let the OC go. This has been a concern of mine all along.

Yeah - i think he felt like, i got my guy at QB so he limited reps there after really doubling down on QB work in 2015. We just looked totally unprepared in that baltimore game. I think part of it might have been roman taking the lazy rex approach in the preseason too.

I don't know if what you say about Roman is true or not, but Rex was the HC, and you tend to follow the leader, whether by instruction or not. And I don't know if I would call it "lazy", it just seemed like a foolish strategy to me.

Regarding the QB position: I get that there was a true battle in 2015, so a change in approach the following year was expected. Perhaps part of the problem was the perceived expectations and improvements after a year in the system, but I think a major factor in his reasoning was the lack of depth across the board. Giving extra reps/experience to 2nd and 3rd stringers, many of whom were new to the team, may have seemed like a good idea, but when injuries occur to important starters, you're kind of doomed anyways, and expecting those extra reps to translate to vastly improved play from those depth players when called upon is wishful thinking, IMO. I know it's easy to say in retrospect, and narrowing down your roster is no easy task, especially when those fringe players aren't getting the extra reps, but it sure seemed to backfire once the season started. The Bills looked dynamic on offense against the Giants, and the Giants looked like hot garbage. The Giants looked much better in the regular season, and Rex was fired before season's end.

I didn't mean to derail the thread with things from the past, even though it may be a somewhat relative sub-topic. I just thought it was worth mentioning that, from the looks of things, we have a staff in place that is doing things differently...the right way. We'll see when preseason starts, and how it translates to meaningful games.

you mean offensively (receivers) or defensively (Hughes/Lawson)?

If so, the decision to once again let the coach who ran the strong unit go (Lynn, and before that Schwartz) is going to look really really bad. Our defense is good, let the DC go. Our offense is good, let the OC go. This has been a concern of mine all along.

I trust Dennison, our passing game should improve. Our run game might suffer a bit due to regression from Miller (he's not a good fit for the scheme), but Shady is a FANTASTIC ZBS runner. He'll be fine.

Is it not the same running game design used by Dennison/Kubiak in both Denver/ Houston to great success? Speed at Running Back or Wide Receiver?

It's similar but with these big mauling OL. Shady didn't practice much today but it wasn't working. We will see.

The speed at WR was concerning. Sammy has speed but it'd be nice to have someone else to open things up for him. He looked good.

you mean offensively (receivers) or defensively (Hughes/Lawson)?

Offensively, the defensive line looked good.

I was wondering this the other day. With Goodwin gone who are our deep threats? Sammy and that's it.

Yep. I think that, aside from the occasional 1st read 9 route by Watkins on single coverage, the Bills will send players deep as more of a decoy to open up underneath and sideline throws. They brought in guys like Holmes and Streeter (who I believe makes the final cut), who possess very good size, but lack 4.3 speed. Same with Thomas. These are more "possession" type receivers, and with one of the knocks on Taylor being his pin-point accuracy, these guys have a much larger catch radius and hypothetically can help mitigate that issue. Guys like Goodwin need the ball to be placed in the perfect spot for him to have a chance, whereas these taller guys don't necessarily need that type of ball placement. Justin Hunter was quite helpful to Taylor last year (and I was surprised when he wasn't retained), especially in the red zone. Windows are much tighter inside the 20, but a taller receiver makes that window just a bit larger. I know McDermott prefers CBs with a wider wingspan, so maybe he feels the same way about his WRs, and without an Aaron Rogers as your QB, it makes sense to help your QB any way you can.

Yep. I think that, aside from the occasional 1st read 9 route by Watkins on single coverage, the Bills will send players deep as more of a decoy to open up underneath and sideline throws. They brought in guys like Holmes and Streeter (who I believe makes the final cut), who possess very good size, but lack 4.3 speed. Same with Thomas. These are more "possession" type receivers, and with one of the knocks on Taylor being his pin-point accuracy, these guys have a much larger catch radius and hypothetically can help mitigate that issue. Guys like Goodwin need the ball to be placed in the perfect spot for him to have a chance, whereas these taller guys don't necessarily need that type of ball placement. Justin Hunter was quite helpful to Taylor last year (and I was surprised when he wasn't retained), especially in the red zone. Windows are much tighter inside the 20, but a taller receiver makes that window just a bit larger. I know McDermott prefers CBs with a wider wingspan, so maybe he feels the same way about his WRs, and without an Aaron Rogers as your QB, it makes sense to help your QB any way you can.

Reports out of Pittsburgh say that Hunter is having a monster training camp and may be jockeying to push out Coates for a starter role...

Reports out of Pittsburgh say that Hunter is having a monster training camp and may be jockeying to push out Coates for a starter role...

I don't know that he really had interest in staying here.

It's similar but with these big mauling OL. Shady didn't practice much today but it wasn't working. We will see.

The speed at WR was concerning. Sammy has speed but it'd be nice to have someone else to open things up for him. He looked good.

Offensively, the defensive line looked good.

I think with an offense predicated on play action and timing, they were looking to add guys with good hands or good wingspan.

Also - zay ran a 4.45 at the combine. I know that isn't play speed by any means but he seems to have some speed.

Edited by dneveu

I don't know that he really had interest in staying here.

I think with an offense predicated on play action and timing, they were looking to add guys with good hands or good wingspan.

Also - zay ran a 4.45 at the combine. I know that isn't play speed by any means but he seems to have some speed.

Yeah, it may not be an issue but the Bills have been able to run the ball and throw deep. I guess the point is that I think both of those regress. Will the improvements elsewhere be enough to offset it? That remains to be seen. It'd be nice if they could improve elsewhere but not at the expense of what they do well.

Yeah, it may not be an issue but the Bills have been able to run the ball and throw deep. I guess the point is that I think both of those regress. Will the improvements elsewhere be enough to offset it? That remains to be seen. It'd be nice if they could improve elsewhere but not at the expense of what they do well.

I suspect they'll improve on special teams significantly, which may be enough to steal an extra 1-3 wins. I also expect they'll be better at stopping the run and assembling 11 men on defense for every play.

That all said, I still think 9 wins is the ceiling.

Hunter had always been a guy that hadn't lived up to the hype, or his potential, since entering the league. He really started to show last year; I assume he really matured after bouncing around teams (and when you have to settle for Buffalo, your eyes really open up when it comes to your future in the league). I think he finally "gets it", that he cannot get by off of hype. Having Big Ben at QB will really accelerate his development.

I'd prefer Hunter over Streeter, but so far, he's looked good in camp.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Ranks Rastro!

Kirby, not so much. ;)

Ha ha, I hate being negative. It was just a little concerning. The level of talent in the 1st 22 or so isn't noticeably different. As we step back from there it was a little eye opening IMO. Maybe they will stay healthy all year? There are just certain guys that will change the course of the season and Sammy is one of them.

I suspect they'll improve on special teams significantly, which may be enough to steal an extra 1-3 wins. I also expect they'll be better at stopping the run and assembling 11 men on defense for every play.

That all said, I still think 9 wins is the ceiling.

I'll buy this too. Hauschka is a big step up from Carpenter.

Ha ha, I hate being negative. It was just a little concerning. The level of talent in the 1st 22 or so isn't noticeably different. As we step back from there it was a little eye opening IMO. Maybe they will stay healthy all year? There are just certain guys that will change the course of the season and Sammy is one of them.

I'll buy this too. Hauschka is a big step up from Carpenter.

How was the back end of the D? I haven't heard much about Poyer.

How was the back end of the D? I haven't heard much about Poyer.

Think that the corners are alright. Leonard Johnson was getting some looks with the 1st unit in the slot. I didn't even notice Poyer though. That might be because there is so much going on or it might be because he didn't do much. He didn't stand out in any way though.

The pass rush was good too. They will help the back. The pass defense will be okay. The run defense I will need to see to trust after last year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Think that the corners are alright. Leonard Johnson was getting some looks with the 1st unit in the slot. I didn't even notice Poyer though. That might be because there is so much going on or it might be because he didn't do much. He didn't stand out in any way though.

The pass rush was good too. They will help the back. The pass defense will be okay. The run defense I will need to see to trust after last year.

I think they brought in johnson to play some nickel.