Astro-Notes: 8-2-17 Sixth Practice

Astrobot

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was out there today and a few things were concerning. They lack speed on the outside IMO. I don't like the design of the running game. The backup QBs are awful and Hyde got dinged.

A couple of things that I liked: Yarborough, Ragland organizing the d in the hurry up, Leonard Johnson had a nice practice, Powell's hands looked good and Sammy is great.

Wasn't watching as intently as Astro but overall I came out a little less optimistic. They just didn't look like a very good football team. The depth is scary. The dropoff in a lot of places is bigger than I anticipated.

you mean offensively (receivers) or defensively (Hughes/Lawson)?

If so, the decision to once again let the coach who ran the strong unit go (Lynn, and before that Schwartz) is going to look really really bad. Our defense is good, let the DC go. Our offense is good, let the OC go. This has been a concern of mine all along.

I trust Dennison, our passing game should improve. Our run game might suffer a bit due to regression from Miller (he's not a good fit for the scheme), but Shady is a FANTASTIC ZBS runner. He'll be fine.

Is it not the same running game design used by Dennison/Kubiak in both Denver/ Houston to great success? Speed at Running Back or Wide Receiver?

It's similar but with these big mauling OL. Shady didn't practice much today but it wasn't working. We will see.

The speed at WR was concerning. Sammy has speed but it'd be nice to have someone else to open things up for him. He looked good.

you mean offensively (receivers) or defensively (Hughes/Lawson)?

Offensively, the defensive line looked good.

I was wondering this the other day. With Goodwin gone who are our deep threats? Sammy and that's it.

Yep. I think that, aside from the occasional 1st read 9 route by Watkins on single coverage, the Bills will send players deep as more of a decoy to open up underneath and sideline throws. They brought in guys like Holmes and Streeter (who I believe makes the final cut), who possess very good size, but lack 4.3 speed. Same with Thomas. These are more "possession" type receivers, and with one of the knocks on Taylor being his pin-point accuracy, these guys have a much larger catch radius and hypothetically can help mitigate that issue. Guys like Goodwin need the ball to be placed in the perfect spot for him to have a chance, whereas these taller guys don't necessarily need that type of ball placement. Justin Hunter was quite helpful to Taylor last year (and I was surprised when he wasn't retained), especially in the red zone. Windows are much tighter inside the 20, but a taller receiver makes that window just a bit larger. I know McDermott prefers CBs with a wider wingspan, so maybe he feels the same way about his WRs, and without an Aaron Rogers as your QB, it makes sense to help your QB any way you can.

Yep. I think that, aside from the occasional 1st read 9 route by Watkins on single coverage, the Bills will send players deep as more of a decoy to open up underneath and sideline throws. They brought in guys like Holmes and Streeter (who I believe makes the final cut), who possess very good size, but lack 4.3 speed. Same with Thomas. These are more "possession" type receivers, and with one of the knocks on Taylor being his pin-point accuracy, these guys have a much larger catch radius and hypothetically can help mitigate that issue. Guys like Goodwin need the ball to be placed in the perfect spot for him to have a chance, whereas these taller guys don't necessarily need that type of ball placement. Justin Hunter was quite helpful to Taylor last year (and I was surprised when he wasn't retained), especially in the red zone. Windows are much tighter inside the 20, but a taller receiver makes that window just a bit larger. I know McDermott prefers CBs with a wider wingspan, so maybe he feels the same way about his WRs, and without an Aaron Rogers as your QB, it makes sense to help your QB any way you can.

Reports out of Pittsburgh say that Hunter is having a monster training camp and may be jockeying to push out Coates for a starter role...

Reports out of Pittsburgh say that Hunter is having a monster training camp and may be jockeying to push out Coates for a starter role...

I don't know that he really had interest in staying here.

It's similar but with these big mauling OL. Shady didn't practice much today but it wasn't working. We will see.

The speed at WR was concerning. Sammy has speed but it'd be nice to have someone else to open things up for him. He looked good.

Offensively, the defensive line looked good.

I think with an offense predicated on play action and timing, they were looking to add guys with good hands or good wingspan.

Also - zay ran a 4.45 at the combine. I know that isn't play speed by any means but he seems to have some speed.

Edited by dneveu

I don't know that he really had interest in staying here.

I think with an offense predicated on play action and timing, they were looking to add guys with good hands or good wingspan.

Also - zay ran a 4.45 at the combine. I know that isn't play speed by any means but he seems to have some speed.

Yeah, it may not be an issue but the Bills have been able to run the ball and throw deep. I guess the point is that I think both of those regress. Will the improvements elsewhere be enough to offset it? That remains to be seen. It'd be nice if they could improve elsewhere but not at the expense of what they do well.

Yeah, it may not be an issue but the Bills have been able to run the ball and throw deep. I guess the point is that I think both of those regress. Will the improvements elsewhere be enough to offset it? That remains to be seen. It'd be nice if they could improve elsewhere but not at the expense of what they do well.

I suspect they'll improve on special teams significantly, which may be enough to steal an extra 1-3 wins. I also expect they'll be better at stopping the run and assembling 11 men on defense for every play.

That all said, I still think 9 wins is the ceiling.

Hunter had always been a guy that hadn't lived up to the hype, or his potential, since entering the league. He really started to show last year; I assume he really matured after bouncing around teams (and when you have to settle for Buffalo, your eyes really open up when it comes to your future in the league). I think he finally "gets it", that he cannot get by off of hype. Having Big Ben at QB will really accelerate his development.

I'd prefer Hunter over Streeter, but so far, he's looked good in camp.

Edited by Drunken Pygmy Goat

Ranks Rastro!

Kirby, not so much. ;)

Ha ha, I hate being negative. It was just a little concerning. The level of talent in the 1st 22 or so isn't noticeably different. As we step back from there it was a little eye opening IMO. Maybe they will stay healthy all year? There are just certain guys that will change the course of the season and Sammy is one of them.

I suspect they'll improve on special teams significantly, which may be enough to steal an extra 1-3 wins. I also expect they'll be better at stopping the run and assembling 11 men on defense for every play.

That all said, I still think 9 wins is the ceiling.

I'll buy this too. Hauschka is a big step up from Carpenter.

Ha ha, I hate being negative. It was just a little concerning. The level of talent in the 1st 22 or so isn't noticeably different. As we step back from there it was a little eye opening IMO. Maybe they will stay healthy all year? There are just certain guys that will change the course of the season and Sammy is one of them.

I'll buy this too. Hauschka is a big step up from Carpenter.

How was the back end of the D? I haven't heard much about Poyer.

How was the back end of the D? I haven't heard much about Poyer.

Think that the corners are alright. Leonard Johnson was getting some looks with the 1st unit in the slot. I didn't even notice Poyer though. That might be because there is so much going on or it might be because he didn't do much. He didn't stand out in any way though.

The pass rush was good too. They will help the back. The pass defense will be okay. The run defense I will need to see to trust after last year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Think that the corners are alright. Leonard Johnson was getting some looks with the 1st unit in the slot. I didn't even notice Poyer though. That might be because there is so much going on or it might be because he didn't do much. He didn't stand out in any way though.

The pass rush was good too. They will help the back. The pass defense will be okay. The run defense I will need to see to trust after last year.

I think they brought in johnson to play some nickel.