BILLS/OILERS WILDCARD GAME

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a looong game and will eat up time on your dvr. I recommend tuning in just after halftime..

Charlie Jones was a fine play by play guy, but Todd Christianson is impossible to listen to and it's obvious here why he didn't last long in the booth.

NFL films put out an excellent 90 minute show of the game -in their Greatest Games series, with some narration, radio calls (VAN!) and insight from many players and coaches. Far more worthy of dvr space than the actual telecast, IMO.

Then again. I saw the game live on a bootleg feed in Dansville. Most people didn't see it...

It's a looong game and will eat up time on your dvr. I recommend tuning in just after halftime..

Charlie Jones was a fine play by play guy, but Todd Christianson is impossible to listen to and it's obvious here why he didn't last long in the booth.

NFL films put out an excellent 90 minute show of the game -in their Greatest Games series, with some narration, radio calls (VAN!) and insight from many players and coaches. Far more worthy of dvr space than the actual telecast, IMO.

Then again. I saw the game live on a bootleg feed in Dansville. Most people didn't see it...

Christensen always was complaining like a 5 year old about everything

Over 234,000 people attended that game and the number goes up every year. And EVERYONE stayed until the end.

Not me. I was one of the losers listening on the radio. But I'll tell you, hearing that game with Van Miller making the calls was pretty great too.

I really miss those types of loooong games!

If they have the halftime show, make sure you get that too. Boomer Esaison ws on it and the other people were talking about yje Oilers playing the Steelers the next week. He warned them about not counting out Reich and told them about Frank's greatest college comeback when he was in when Boomer was hurt. They laughed at him. After the game they said " We'll never doubt you again."

Greatest game ever for me personally. My brother and I were about 8 and 10 years old, we were at my uncle's house with the entire family there for my sisters bday party. My step dad was a big gambler and a drinker, he took the Oilers and was feeling good. I remember my brother and I being like f this guy by the end of the first half.

Once the comeback got rolling we didn't have to say much, just a ton of high fives and that playoff feeling was in full effect. Watching the Oilers melt down and him losing that bet was a joyous day. A memory my brother and I will never forget.

Only other game that even comes close was the 2007 SB when we got to see the Giants ruin the Pats perfect season in a house full of Pats fans!

I remember the day that game was on...it was just a few months before my ex and I split up for good! One of the things she hated about me the most, was my love of the Bills...not the Bills specifically, but she hated how miserable I was when they lost...particularly a Super Bowl. I remember it was really warm that day (Austin, TX) and I was watching the game...she was in a really pissy mood. She always wanted to go hiking, and do outdoors stuff...I was all into it too...but not if the Bills were on...I just remember, she had gone to a "watch party" with the previous weekend to see the Bills get destroyed by the Oilers. She wasn't "born into it" as they say, so in her book, the Oilers were the much better team. She decided she was going to garden, while I "wasted another Sunday watching that damn team". She kept walking back and forth through the apartment, making lots of noise. The more lopsided the score got, the angrier she was getting with me. "I can't believe you are watching this, its' beautiful outside.."

When the 2nd half started, she moved on from gardening to washing the car, and doing laundry. I kept telling her "I'll do that when the game is over"! She yelled "the game is !@#$ing over...it's been over for 2 hours!" or something like that...I was miserable...I knew I was losing the love of my life, and the Bills were breaking my heart...again. But then, they started to comeback...she kept prancing back and forth, inside and outside..down by 17, she chuckled that I was starting to be hopeful...not my proudest moment..but I remember when they tied it up I just yelled, as she walked through again..."that's why I don't give up!" To her credit, she was happy for me...probably for the last time...

Edited by Buftex

look for me in the End zone seats lake side. screaming.

I lost my voice for two days

Not me. I was one of the losers listening on the radio. But I'll tell you, hearing that game with Van Miller making the calls was pretty great too.

; ))

I bet. what a game!!

They only take like 90 minutes in the re broadcast. But you are right why watch the first half and first minutes of the third qty when it is 35 3

You know what else watching that game? Virtually every starting position on that team for that year was a player better than what we have today. OK maybe not Kelso :D

I remember the day that game was on...it was just a few months before my ex and I split up for good! One of the things she hated about me the most, was my love of the Bills...not the Bills specifically, but she hated how miserable I was when they lost...particularly a Super Bowl. I remember it was really warm that day (Austin, TX) and I was watching the game...she was in a really pissy mood. She always wanted to go hiking, and do outdoors stuff...I was all into it too...but not if the Bills were on...I just remember, she had gone to a "watch party" with the previous weekend to see the Bills get destroyed by the Oilers. She wasn't "born into it" as they say, so in her book, the Oilers were the much better team. She decided she was going to garden, while I "wasted another Sunday watching that damn team". She kept walking back and forth through the apartment, making lots of noise. The more lopsided the score got, the angrier she was getting with me. "I can't believe you are watching this, its' beautiful outside.."

When the 2nd half started, she moved on from gardening to washing the car, and doing laundry. I kept telling her "I'll do that when the game is over"! She yelled "the game is !@#$ing over...it's been over for 2 hours!" or something like that...I was miserable...I knew I was losing the love of my life, and the Bills were breaking my heart...again. But then, they started to comeback...she kept prancing back and forth, inside and outside..down by 17, she chuckled that I was starting to be hopeful...not my proudest moment..but I remember when they tied it up I just yelled, as she walked through again..."that's why I don't give up!" To her credit, she was happy for me...probably for the last time...

Good story.

My ex wanted me to take her out shopping that day. She couldn't understand why I kept holding onto hope when the game was a rout. When the Bills were down 35-3, she asked me, "Has any team ever been down that much and ended up winning?" I said no "glumly" but added with very little enthusiasm, "but there's always a chance." Kelly was out. Thurman was out. The game was hopeless. But I couldn't tear myself from the TV.

At the time I was a bean counter, so working year end closing in the the office, fortunately there was a satellite dish in our office, and I was able to find an unscrambled link to the game. I was so bummed after the Q3 Pick 6 and then all was right with the world from then on, although the last minute Houston FG had me worried for a bit.

A few years later, when I was working in Nashville, I Happened to be in a Skybox at the game [with my son] when Home Run Throwback happened. As Jim McKay used to say on Wide World of Sports, "The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat." I think the NFL gods had the fix in for Bud Adams that day, they didn't want another Bills team in the SB.

I was in grade school at the time. Even at that age while I didn't think they were coming back, I still had his feeling they could win.

I miss them days

I don't miss those days... I am sick of hearing about those days... Beyond ready for this team to finally do something in the present.. I really think we have finally found the right coach and gm to do it right...