BILLS/OILERS WILDCARD GAME

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Call me a liar if you want, but I was there and did stay the entire game.

Though I was not at this particular game, I have been to a little over 100 games...some really bad ones. I have only left two games early. The first was a 1984 game against the Browns in cascading rain. My girlfriend was miserable...we left about halfway through the 3rd qtr..it was a terrible game, Bills lost. The second was a 2010 Patriots game the day after Christmas. Bills got their asses handed to them, and it was frigid cold. I went with my sister, who at the age of 45, had never been to a game. She was a sport, but I could tell she was really struggling with the cold. Both times, because of extreme crappy weather (my companions choice, not mine), never because the game sucked.

Christensen always was complaining like a 5 year old about everything

Yeah, the ridiculous one was him complaining about the linesman looking right at it but not making the call of Don Beebe stepping out of bounds and then coming back in to make the catch.

...it would have been so much better if they weren't showing the replay of the linesman...just plain not even looking in the same direction.

Unless he had wall eye vision that call wasn't going to happen.

BTW, whenever anyone says I didn't stay for the entire game, my answer is quite simple: I was in a box.

...I had peanuts, pizza, wings, drinks...I wasn't going anywhere.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I was in my early teens and remember having to drive to my aunt's house to watch it because she had a satellite dish as the game was blacked out locally. How the hell could a Bills home playoff game be blacked out and how did we get it on satellite? Winning in Pittsburgh the next week and then in Miami was icing on the cake.

A friend called at half time to see if I was watching? We wound up talking until the second half started, so I decided to see if there was any hope left. I had already changed to go work out but said what the heck? Houston comes out and scores again to start the half but being a masochist I couldn't leave the train wreck. Needless to say the sweats I wore for the second half eventually lost their mojo but......

That game is by far the most fun I have ever had at a sporting event.

I spoke about this game at my dad's memorial service; that's how much it meant to me to have been there and watched the entire thing with him.

Same here (the being there with my dad part), I was even interviewed with my dad which made it in the movie Almost A Dynasty

Edited by BuffaloBaumer

I watched it at a bar. The place was packed and there was no place to sit, so we suffered the first half standing.

At half time, many people left, so we grabbed a nice seat. Even after the second half started with another Oilers touchdown, we stayed put.

Our logic was that if we went home, our spouses would have things for us to do, and we would probably turn on the radio anyway (addiction is a B word).

So we stayed where the chairs were comfortable and the beer was cold, and watched the comeback!

The bar had a legal occupation capacity they were pushing to the limit and we smiled as people lined up outside, trying to get back in.

In my opinion, this game is best appreciated when watched from start to overtime finish. It better illustrates how Buffalo had to go from their lowest to their best, as Houston fans sat there in total disbelief.

Edited by rockpile

All time great game.

I'll never forget seeing the looks on the players' faces on the Houston sideline, especially Bruce Matthews, as the game slipped away from them.

I saw those same looks on the Bills sideline in Oakland last year, under similar circumstances. That was when I really started to wonder if Rex was losing the locker room.

Remember watching it live. Never seen anything like that before. The NE comeback in the SB is the closest since. :thumbsup:

The Pats were lucky enough to have the two point conversion option so that makes our comeback even more impressive. I still can't believe they won that Superbowl. Having two Pats fans at the party made it 10x worse.

The Pats were lucky enough to have the two point conversion option so that makes our comeback even more impressive. I still can't believe they won that Superbowl. Having two Pats fans at the party made it 10x worse.

How were those Pats fans doing the half hour before it all fell into place for them?

Yes and he is still a jerk. He was a Regional VP for a pretty well known company and was recently laid off. Karma?

I have a lot more pennies now haha.

Every year I would send him a birthday card with a penny taped to it with message "save your pennies".

I watched the entire game at Greevey's (now closed), a locally famous sports bar which showed Bills game but I could only get a seat outside and it was miserable out that day. At second half seats opened up inside and I got one at bar and after Oiler's TD in 3rd table opened up. Once 4th quarter was on the bar was at over capacity (number of people told to go outside with arguments on how they reserved a table every week, yes they were ones who left). The staff had caught the comeback fever and were having drink specials and such which they rarely held in 2nd half. At end of game there was effectively a tailgate in parking lot and cops showed up. He told the partiers to continue but end after half hour and they would be there to arrest anyone out of control.

How were those Pats fans doing the half hour before it all fell into place for them?

Sitting there with a stunned look on their face when the Falcons went up 28-3 and me in pure jubilance. An hour or so later I'm asking god how much punishment can us Bills fans can take.

I was there and stayed until then end. We talked about leaving right after the oilers scored early in the 3rd quarter. I did see Mayor Jimmy Griffin leaving the stadium (walking up an exit ramp) at halftime. He was not alone. Those ramps were busy then.

I was at the game and went with my Mom. After the 3Q pick I said to her "Let's get the F out of here". She said no and we stayed. Two things stick out in my head about the game. 1) Why did the Oilers keep passing? 2) The hundreds of fans trying to scale the fence to get back in. I was in the nosebleeds and could see them all trying. I also spoke of that game at my Mom's memorial service. I will never forget it as long as I am alive and have my marbles. RIP Mom.