Trapasso: Is Preston Brown Good or Not?

Ragland will surprise some people. he's more athletic than people give him credit for. he's not an ideal fit but he's a better player than Preston Brown that's for sure

Ragland undoubtedly is the better athlete. Both will see playing time obviously. To what extent scheme will play, who knows? Football is football, you can either play or you can't. I do believe Ragland will have an easier time adjusting to a 4-3 than Brown did fitting into a 3-4. Preston is rather slow, but smart.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) he wasn't a rookie

2). LBs are most often a product of their d line. Most LBs aren't great at taking on oline. So if your d line is getting killed at the point of attack and o linemen are locking on LBs, you're going to get gashed.

Blaming LBs for that awful game is oversimplification.

The d line got bitched. Unless Ragland was The greatest LB ever, it would have made no difference.

Also, Ragland played his whole career behind a d line that was far superior to every team they played against. We're not sure how good he really is because he got to constantly play free.

You dont think that it also could have been a situation of linebacker's making the DL look good?

It could have worked that way as well.

You dont think that it also could have been a situation of linebacker's making the DL look good?

It could have worked that way as well.

Are you talking about in 2014? We had the best d line in the NFL.

LBs are rbs of the defense. They are dependent on the line in from of them. Ray Lewis is possibly the greatest LB ever. If he had John McCargo in front of him instead of Fat Tony S eating up 2 or 3 blockers, he's not the same player.

LBs are rbs of the defense. They are dependent on the line in from of them. Ray Lewis is possibly the greatest LB ever. If he had John McCargo in front of him instead of Fat Tony S eating up 2 or 3 blockers, he's not the same player.

Actually I was talking about Ragland and the DL playing in front of him at Alabama

They were good....but you dont think Ragland also made him look good with his ability to shed, run stop, be a rock in the middle of that Alabama DL?

I am a big fan of Ragland...he looks like a instinctive knock the snot out of of you linebacker who is very underrated in zone coverage

Preston was a stud in Schwartz' system and may have had an overall better rookie season than Kiko. He is just another player whose Rex's system murdered.

Brown and Bradham paired well together in that scheme. The 4 studs unleashed up front wreaked havoc and brown and Bradham were there on mop up duty as needed.

WHOA:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2017/2016-defeats

We like to think that our readers are the smartest, most well-informed group of football fans out there, but odds are a lot of you are scratching your heads right now and asking "Who on earth is '52-P.Brown?'" That would be Buffalo linebacker Preston Brown, who has quietly started 46 of 48 games for the Bills since he was drafted in the third round in 2014. Brown hardly fits the profile of a big-play defender, with only three interceptions and one sack in his career. But Brown did a little bit of everything in 2016:

• Twelve run tackles for loss.
  • Nine run tackles for stops on third or fourth down, including four with 1 or 2 yards to go.
  • Seven tackles on completed passes for third-down stops.
  • One tackle for a loss on a completed pass.
  • One sack.
  • One forced fumble.

Brown and Bradham paired well together in that scheme. The 4 studs unleashed up front wreaked havoc and brown and Bradham were there on mop up duty as needed.

I agree. Brown seemed a lot better with Schwartz because the D-Line was so productive it freed him to make open plays. Last year, when he had to shed more blocks in Ryan's defense, it definitely showed a weakness. He also seems to find himself in the wrong spot more often than not. I bet Ragland gets the Mike job, he looked dynamite in Training Camp last year before the injury hopefully he still does (I live in Rochester).

And I don't think Brown is great. He is average. But when your d line is good, like it was in 2014, average is good. When your schemes suck and your d line sucks, your LBs look bad. Luke Kuechly would have struggled last year for us.

Luke Kuechly doesn't ever struggle! No matter what. In fact he's the only player who can cover Gronk.

Kuechly is the exception.

Ragland struggles in man, but was a fine zone defender in college. He has some edge, and hits hard. Attacks run gaps, doesn't get caught up. Better pass rusher than brown too.

Brown has three NFL years.....Ragland zero. I am thinking you have projected Ragland's college play to the NFL. That is a LONG extrapolation.....and just as likely wrong as correct.

brown may be better moved to strong side linebacker in this 43. i'll be quick as i have work to do while the sun is out (beehives)

hodges or humber is set at will linebacker

lorax is likely the strongside linebacker

ragland gets the nod over brown

in my system i'd use them in rotation of shifting

hodges would be a 3rd down package back over humber - at least until i see more.

on 1st and 2nd and run downs lorax gets the first dibs. but i'd be quick to move ragland there on a run heavy team and bench lorax

i'd put brown in the middle with ragland if the defensive line is not 2016 rex ryan - rex ryan actually meaning the word feces. as in, when i sit on the toilet i dispense rex ryans in the bowl.

i have so many more questions about the defensive line than i do anything and what i actually see as a lack of depth so much so that i'd consider giving lorax reps at defensive end. as well as hodges. washington makes me shrug that we could have developmental issues in a sophomore slump situation. kyle williams is always a concern but always proves us wrong despite me never being his yugest fan. dareus keeps getting pegged as a man out of the system - which is terrifically mind bottling. good players always play good - dareus is one of the best in the league. jerry hughes is the player i think that will have the worst 2017 by fans accounts. shaq lawson is pro bowl bound.