Trapasso: Is Preston Brown Good or Not?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every player on every team in every scheme cannot be a Pro Bowler. Brown was a solid starter and regular contributor in the Schwartz system and was not a good fit in the Ryan scheme. I am of the mindset that he will be a solid contributor in the new defense. Brown's skill set would seem to be a better fit to the current system, but Ragland hasn't played a down in the NFL, so we don't know at this point who will be the better player this year. I hope that they both play well and one is a quality starter while the other is a regular contributor off the bench. That's assuming Frazier doesn't configure the defense in such a way that they are both starters and one of the other projected starters is the backup. I have not seen enough of Hodges or Humber in any scheme, or Lorax in the current scheme, to know where all the pieces will fit. I will wait and see what training camp and the pre-season brings.

I believe the quote was more along these lines:

He's having a very similar season to Kiko Alanzo's rookie year in which he was obviously in the conversation for rookie of the year.

He was the defensive player of the week for that sick Miami game too.

I'm sure we can all agree he's a better fit for what Schwartz asked him to do that what Rex asked him to do.

No. Kiko came in second. Brown was an honorable mention.

Preston was a stud in Schwartz' system and may have had an overall better rookie season than Kiko. He is just another player whose Rex's system murdered.

totally agree with this. I think he and Raggland will be great this year. I expect a defensive renaissance with Fraizer as DC.

Brown had a better overall rookie year than Kiko. He just didn't have the big plays, which Kiko did in his first 5 games.

Brown isn't a great LB. but he can be productive in the right system and every defensive player gets a pass from the last 2 years.

the legend of kiko still grows. But this is accurate IMO

Is take brown in most defenses over Alonso

But Alonso might be the more valuable player because his skillset is so rarely found. The guy is a linebacker who can play safety essentially. Usually it is safety playing linebacker. - bryan Scott anyone?

he's terrible and i can't wait for Ragland to take over. Preston makes some good plays where casual fans like him but most of the time he's getting blocked out of a play, overpursuing, or isn't fast enough to get the edge. he has zero athleticism. he is a very meh player

in case you couldn't tell, he is my least favorite player on the whole team

Every word is perfectly accurate.

Every player on every team in every scheme cannot be a Pro Bowler. Brown was a solid starter and regular contributor in the Schwartz system and was not a good fit in the Ryan scheme. I am of the mindset that he will be a solid contributor in the new defense. Brown's skill set would seem to be a better fit to the current system, but Ragland hasn't played a down in the NFL, so we don't know at this point who will be the better player this year. I hope that they both play well and one is a quality starter while the other is a regular contributor off the bench. That's assuming Frazier doesn't configure the defense in such a way that they are both starters and one of the other projected starters is the backup. I have not seen enough of Hodges or Humber in any scheme, or Lorax in the current scheme, to know where all the pieces will fit. I will wait and see what training camp and the pre-season brings.

This

Brown had a better overall rookie year than Kiko. He just didn't have the big plays, which Kiko did in his first 5 games.

Brown isn't a great LB. but he can be productive in the right system and every defensive player gets a pass from the last 2 years.

I agree about the 2 year pass and am rooting for Brown because Ragland is a pipe dream, but how dumb do you have to be for REX to call you dumb? I'm sure a lot of players aren't too bright but the only other guy I remember Rex calling dumb was butt fumble.

• 3 weeks later...

I think we all hope Ragland will be the Bills run stopping MLB for years and year and years

That being said until that occurs, or if that occurs, Brown is a decent asset

For both in case of injury to Ragland, and as a backup OLB, and a 3rd down MLB vs the pass

In these days of nickel and dime D's I see a role for Brown and one in this scheme he might excel in

I'm just not sure he is an NFL 3 down starter

jc

• 1 month later...

Sal C was on WGR this morning and he's said that Brown has been one of the best defensive players in camp.

He played last year at 255 lbs....he's around 240 lbs now and looks much faster.

He said don't be surprised if we start talking extension with Brown soon.

There is some good news.

Cuz Rex Sux turned out to be possibly the truest thing ever typed on this board but boy at the time it was not the most popular opinion. Greggo Marrone? Same thing. You'll not that I'm still generally optimistic for the new guy despite his clear disdain for Sammy from the beginning...another thing I was told was false. Losing Sammy was a giant blunder but even the best coaches make blunders.

@BuffRumblings

@ChrisTrapassos deep dive: Is #Bills linebacker Preston Brown good or not?

https://t.co/yKOffAC8b2

He'll never live up to the legend...of kiko lasagna.

But seriously I like Preston, he's a solid contributor. Not a stud but someone you can rely on. I wouldn't complain if we upgraded the position though.

Edited by CDogg20