Sabres & NHL 2017-18 - Entry Draft on June 22

He looks as if he has no clue how to play shooters.BTW, the Sabres' suck at scoring in shootouts.

No doubt we can’t score very well, but until our shooting percentage in shootouts matches Lehner’s Blutarski-like 0.000 save percentage in shootouts, he is the bigger liability. By far.

It is a shame because you can see the rest of the roster being viable while growing. Having no confidence in the sack of potatoes clogging the net means the overall growth of the team will come in fits and starts. He is not going to improve and they need to make another plan.

Look, every team will lose some shootouts but Lehner clearly hasn't worked on his issues. It's one thing to lose but he looked like boozy Bob Kraft stumbling around in the crease? A professional never looks like that but Lehner does it in every shootout.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Not complaining that Pens getting smoked. But, NHL is so Bush League scheduling a home opener then an away game 24 hours later to a team that is having their home opener. This isn't the middle of the season... What did they think was going to happen? Pens gotta be extremely tired and it is showing.

Who's scheduling?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Shootouts are more important than you might think; you can pick up a bunch of garbage points from them over the course of an entire season.

It doesn't help that Lehner is horrid at stopping them and the rest of the roster seems terrible at scoring on them.

The replacement of Bylsma is an immediate improvement but the team still has a way to go.

Not sure we are a playoff team this year, yet again. Long way to go though.

Very disappointing outcome last night. There were positives -- more offense, tons of shots. Pominville showed why he is a perfect winger for Eichel. Last year that pass gets effed up by somebody else. But the two goals given up were terrible. First an awful turnover by ROR, and then to give up a shorty when you're up one in the 3rd period is unforgivable.

And of course, Lehner was terrible in the shootout.

A point is a point, but that left a bad taste.

At least Pominville is on a 164-goal pace. That's cool.

Very disappointing outcome last night. There were positives -- more offense, tons of shots. Pominville showed why he is a perfect winger for Eichel. Last year that pass gets effed up by somebody else. But the two goals given up were terrible. First an awful turnover by ROR, and then to give up a shorty when you're up one in the 3rd period is unforgivable.

And of course, Lehner was terrible in the shootout.

A point is a point, but that left a bad taste.

At least Pominville is on a 164-goal pace. That's cool.

I was not as disappointed. ROR rarely makes that bad of a play As you mentioned, tons of shots, more aggressive in every zone. Price was Price last night.

Lehner was good I thought, but his shootout thing , I would think, would start to get to his overall game as well. But I am in the camp of where the hell is Jack or ROR or Kane, all of your top paid forwards. Also might help Lehner if the Sabres were not a perfect O-fer at the other end.

Edited by plenzmd1

I cant get worked up about the goalie after a 1-0 loss in a shootout. It doesnt matter what he does if they cant score (DVR cut out before the last attempt so I dont know if it was equally weak). The key for the year is going to be getting those regulation wins. Im good with an OT loss as long as that regular loss column stays low.

I liked the quicker pace out there. They really do transition quickly so far. Ill be very curious to see what the offense can do when they face a goalie who isnt all world and once they get a little more acclimated.

Edit: Someone needs to teach some jersey etiquette to Mcoy. Your own name and number on a jersey? Not good, shady. Not good.

Edited by shrader

Would've liked to get the second point, but it wasn't to be (two bad mistakes) I think they played pretty well for the most part.

I liked the way Scandella and Nolan played.

Yes, they are nice additions. I thought Josfeson was great as a forth line center but I really liked Beaulieu. We seriously got him for a 3rd rounder? Wow! He is a puck moving, offensively skilled player. Very hard to get players like that. All the additions from the off season have made us better. They looked good last night

I cant get worked up about the goalie after a 1-0 loss in a shootout. It doesnt matter what he does if they cant score (DVR cut out before the last attempt so I dont know if it was equally weak). The key for the year is going to be getting those regulation wins. Im good with an OT loss as long as that regular loss column stays low.

I liked the quicker pace out there. They really do transition quickly so far. Ill be very curious to see what the offense can do when they face a goalie who isnt all world and once they get a little more acclimated.

Edit: Someone needs to teach some jersey etiquette to Mcoy. Your own name and number on a jersey? Not good, shady. Not good.

The Bills arranged that for him and other players they they all wore in a video to wish the Sabres good luck this season.

DLdJkoTW4AAtO-Y.jpg

Lehner still looks lost on opponents shootout attempts.

@Buccigross

World class play by Jack Eichel last night. One on one 50/50 strength to break free and then a 35 Foot dime to Pominville. #buffalosauce

NiftyVelvetyAndeancondor-size_restricted

Why does Eichel not take a shot in the shootout? Is there some rule as to who's on the ice at the end of the OT period?

Housley went with the numbers of who has had the best shootout success instead of the best players.

A good way to get two points in reg is for the goalie to not give up crap goals that force OT.

He's awful.

The Bills arranged that for him and other players they they all wore in a video to wish the Sabres good luck this season.

DLdJkoTW4AAtO-Y.jpg

Lehner still looks lost on opponents shootout attempts.

Once that big fella commits his body to one side, he can't get back over quick enough. And that short handed goal (which lost us the game in regulation) was a weak attempt at getting over to the side of the net. Most college players can cover that side quickly. Lehner doesn't impress me in the least.

A good way to get two points in reg is for the goalie to not give up crap goals that force OT.

He's awful.

and this

@amymoritz

Robin Lehner continues to struggle in shootouts. "It's not easy, mentally to go in right now and do it."

http://buffalonews.com/2017/10/05/sabres-notebook-team-opts-leadership-committee/

Robin Lehner knew the question was coming. He cut it off at the mention of the word "shootout." It's been the glaring weakness in his game. Last season, Lehner didn't make one stop in a shootout, letting in eight goals on eight shots.

He had the opportunity to turn the page, make a fresh a start, exorcise his shootout demons on Thursday night.

But Lehner dove right on an amazing move by Jonathan Drouin, who then pulled back to the other side and roofed the puck to give the Montreal Canadiens a 3-2 win in the season opener in KeyBank Center.

It was the second shot that Lehner faced after he stopped Paul Byron.

"I didn't stop it. It hit the post," Lehner immediately corrected. "You know it's no secret. I struggled last year with it. I'm trying to move forward. It takes some guts to get out of this hole in the shootouts but you know what, I can't pout about it. I'm working on it and obviously it's not working yet, but hopefully it will come.

It's going to be just like last year where if things don't end well, it won't be the goaltending that's the primary issue. I look at that game yesterday and it's the 4% shooting percentage that I focus on. Now maybe the new system is going to add a lot of low probability shots, but they're going to need to score at a better rate than that if they're going to go anywhere this year.

It's going to be just like last year where if things don't end well, it won't be the goaltending that's the primary issue. I look at that game yesterday and it's the 4% shooting percentage that I focus on. Now maybe the new system is going to add a lot of low probability shots, but they're going to need to score at a better rate than that if they're going to go anywhere this year.

We're going to see lower shooting percentages with the amount of shooting PH wants to see but against many NHL goalies we should see an enormous amount of rebound chances.

I was VERY pleased at the number of successful pinches we saw last night and the positive offensive zone puck possession through two periods. There are certainly things to work on (2 man advantage PP, 3-on-3 OT at both ends, etc) but if last night is an indication, this is going to be a fun team to watch.

We're going to see lower shooting percentages with the amount of shooting PH wants to see but against many NHL goalies we should see an enormous amount of rebound chances.

I was VERY pleased at the number of successful pinches we saw last night and the positive offensive zone puck possession through two periods. There are certainly things to work on (2 man advantage PP, 3-on-3 OT at both ends, etc) but if last night is an indication, this is going to be a fun team to watch.

Thanks for the take. You and Shrader are two fellas who I listen to for informed opinions.

Any chance Lehner gets better at shootouts? It's depressing, but the minute we go to SO, I just assume it is a loss.

I'd almost like to put Ocho CInco in for the SO, regardless.

A high volume of low quality shots doesn't get you very far against a G like Price.