At what point did the 90's nostalgia wear off for you?

Never forget. Great teams, great players, great people, Saw much of it live. Lost my voice many times, My children and I shared this greatness. Many family pics from drive 2 . Had some great tailgating buddies, Met some great people. Shared some great memories.

How can that ever wear off.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what you mean by "nostalgia" somehow "wearing off". Maybe you mean the connection between current fans and those rapidly aging memories ... there's an entire generation of younger fans to whom names like Kelly, Thomas, Reed, and Smith are merely legends because they never saw them play except on YouTube clips. It's what happens as people move further away in time from any event important to them, whether it's the "Glory Years" of a football franchise or some important historical event (like the US entrance into WW I, which happened 100 years ago this year).

The 1990s teams will always be the benchmark that Buffalo Bills teams are measured against until such time as the franchise approaches or surpasses those teams. Unfortunately, that doesn't look likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

I don't think it has worn off but it really seems like a fictional tale that has grown through the years. If I wasn't there to live it I may not believe it happened at all.

It was fantastic.

Good take, I feel that way too sometimes

I'm not sure what you mean by "nostalgia" somehow "wearing off". Maybe you mean the connection between current fans and those rapidly aging memories ... there's an entire generation of younger fans to whom names like Kelly, Thomas, Reed, and Smith are merely legends because they never saw them play except on YouTube clips. It's what happens as people move further away in time from any event important to them, whether it's the "Glory Years" of a football franchise or some important historical event (like the US entrance into WW I, which happened 100 years ago this year).

The 1990s teams will always be the benchmark that Buffalo Bills teams are measured against until such time as the franchise approaches or surpasses those teams. Unfortunately, that doesn't look likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

I think my biggest gripe is that we haven't had any other good periods of Bills football since then. I'll always appreciate the past and nobody was more in love with that era than me but I also feel like as Bills fans we have collectively beaten that era to a dead horse since we haven't experienced any other joy since then.

I think some people are misinterpreting what I was meant in my OP. I never stopped watching the Bills or caring this whole time, i just can't keep living off the glory year memories, I need new ones!!! And I think the McDermott/Beane regime is just what we need to finally get over the hump

Funny, the same was said when Whaley got promoted. When Maroon was hired, and when Rex was hired some thought the end was in sight. Everyone wants the new regime too succeed. Just like this honeymoon period. The blowback was significant if anyone criticized the hot up and coming college coach name Marrone. Or the defensive genius that was hired to take us too the promised land.

Never mind the coach has never been a HC nor the GM was never a GM. Pegula gave them the keys. I wish them luck. If they fail it will he brutal for this still irrelevant franchise. The new staff is as green as they come. If they succeed which I think can definitely happen the new glory era will have begun. This will take 3 years minimum. The offense is aging and their star reciever is from what the rugby world is saying is on the trade block. LOL, not the greatest plan too build a contender.

For a good recent memory watch the play when Orton throws to Sammy (against the vikes) a TD pass in the end zone as the time runs out. the Bills were behind the entire game. It was awesome. This is what the kid can do. Best game I attended that season.

The third year was the beginning of the edge being lost as BIlls fans couldn't bother to sell out the playoff game against Houston, so it was a blackout on TV locally.

That would have been impossible for the Ickey Shuffle, Ronnie Harmon Drop and first 2 SB seasons.

And the rest of the NFL was sick of the Bills getting systematically torn to shreds at the SB as well.

Edited by row_33

1994-2008 I did not watch a single NFL game other than the super bowls.

Funny, I probably didn't watch the Super Bowl for 10 years or so around that same time frame.

I was still haunted by the Bills losses and didn't care to watch another SB.

I'm with ya, OP. The pre-Salary Cap era IS ancient history. No one can build a team like that today and keep it for 6+ seasons. Our 1st bite from Cap restrictions was Polian conniving Wolford away from us to Indy. He was on a HOF career trend at that time and Fina spelled fine (no French punctuation on my computer) for that team.

It all wore off for me at Kelly's resignation speech.

It is actually the only good stretch in this organization's history. That and a blip in the afl in the mid 60s. Its all they got.

Its historically a wretched organization. Hopefully beane and mcdermott can change the tides

Chuck Knox teams were very good. He should have been kept. Top coach in NFL at the time

When they fired Wade.

I was going to say when they hired Gregg Williams

For me post Wade/Flutie it died out knowing we needed (and still need) a franchise QB to be great again. or at least a perennial playoff team. Bledsoe gave me hopes slightly post Wade but I knew his statue ass was not the answer.

Here we are still needing the same and still not making the playoffs since.... :(

Imagine someday we do get back to the playoffs and win a home game? The fans will be ripping seats out of the stadium and selling goal post pieces on EBAY. I honestly have no idea how fans will react to a winning team. If we ever win the Super Bowl I'm sure the National Guard will have to come to WNY though.

Edited by Real McCoy

Nostalgia? Hasn't really worn off for me. I'm sure 90% of this board pines to live days like that again. Have you ever wondered how you'd feel if the Bills became annually successful? How your perspective would change?

The decisions made in the aftermath of the MCM is where I felt the Bills were no longer "the" Bills and you could feel a palatable shift in the franchise.