Beane hired as GM

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Terry gave McD and Beane a clean slate. Hope they bring back some key scouts that were let go. I would even have kept Doug as a scout , he's still being paid I would think.

I know it'd be a ****ty thing to have to accept, but I really wish he'd stick around as a pro personnel scout, Whaley brought in some studs, imo.

A very underrated aspect of this hire is he came into the league in media relations. Believe he got his degree in communications. This was one of the major thing Whaley struggled with and we could really use someone like this in the organization.

If the search was embarrassing the NFL made it that way. They had their guy, they knew they had their guy but the NFL forced them to dance around with a few other "candidates" when everybody and their mother knew what we were going to do all along.

A very underrated aspect of this hire is he came into the league in media relations. Believe he got his degree in communications. This was one of the major thing Whaley struggled with and we could really use someone like this in the organization.

I wouldn't expect him to address the media much. They will continue with the one voice approach through McDermott.

I think Terry gave McD and Beane a clean slate. Hope they bring back some key scouts that were let go. I would even have kept Doug as a scout , he's still being paid I would think.

Whaley,would never accept that. The bills would not offer it.

Like the fly on the wall said in the bar at the Whaley/ Murray bar summit.

"whats better than being hired by the Pegulas"

answer--- "Being fired by The Pegulas"

Whaley recently signed an extension he will be sitting on a crowded couch with ex Pegula employees still getting paid..Greg Roman gets first pick on that couch.

The Bills needed a complete reboot. And they did it. The GM pairing with McD with the two working in unison. And With all the trash out the door. This is something not seen in Bills nation for decades. It's McD's show now If he can flip this team in three years or less into relevancy. The Bills, the fans everyone will never second guess this.

Maybe some ex scouts could be brought back. Monos in particular if he falls into what the new staff envisions. But probably not.

In other AFCE news the Pats*** open the new season with wins at the over/under at 13.5. Pretty lofty.

press: who has final say ?

Beane: I control the 53

press: but who has final say ??

McD: one voice

press: but what if you disagree ???

Pegula: it"s gonna be a group effort. Just like everything else, just like most businesses do in their life. If someone feels more strongly, then maybe we lean in that direction.”

Edited by papazoid

I wouldn't expect him to address the media much. They will continue with the one voice approach through McDermott.

Probably but Beane can definetly help McDermott prepare for what to say and what questions to expect. Besides im sure Beane and Mcdermott will be on same page and will be one voice even with two people doing press conferences.

Why do things like bring Tyrod back then? That's not a rebuild move. That's a move to try to be a playoff team. I think that it's unlikely but that wasn't a tank decision. They are trying to change the culture without question but they are trying to win at the same time. The likely outcome is a similar record. We aren't doing what the Browns or Jets have done. In my opinion the best way to rebuild is after bottoming out.

I never said under a new staff that the Bills are going to tank. However, that doesn't mean that a lower scaled rebuild will not be taking place. McDermott kept Tyrod for the simple reason that it allows the team to be respectable. Why jettison him and then bring in another bridge caliber qb?

As you pointed out with TT the team will be in the same mid-tier zone as it is now. What it is also means that with a TT caliber of qb it is not going to climb out of that same wretched zone that we have been entrapped in for a generation. Do you think that McDermott and Beane took the job to remain stuck in the morass of mediocrity?

The mistake you are making at assessing the status of the Bills is that you are looking at it from an either/or spectrum when it is not that. It's more like adding an addition to one's house while still living in it. It's messy and sometimes chaotic but as long as the project is moving forward it is tolerable.

Are the Bills under the new coach going to continue to strive to win? Absolutely. But when you are not good enough--you are not good enough. My contention is the same as it has been since the hiring of McDermott: This is a rebuild on the fly and that it is going to take another few years before this team is rebuilt to be a contending team. I understand why many would disagree with that assessment but what is obvious to me may not be obvious to others.

Are the Bills under the new coach going to continue to strive to win? Absolutely. But when you are not good enough--you are not good enough. My contention is the same as it has been since the hiring of McDermott: This is a rebuild on the fly and that it is going to take another few years before this team is rebuilt to be a contending team. I understand why many would disagree with that assessment but what is obvious to me may not be obvious to others.

Agree 100%, and I'm fine with it.

And the joke continues.... The real problem I see now is the ownership....they are piece mealing everything. Thank goodness club section 231 row 1 seats 5-10 wasn't paid on. I will let my wallet do the talking that 12k will go on something else. Raptor seasons are starting to look nice, I will get to see Lebron James play.....

not a single person cares about this. just move on without the fan fare.

I never said under a new staff that the Bills are going to tank. However, that doesn't mean that a lower scaled rebuild will not be taking place. McDermott kept Tyrod for the simple reason that it allows the team to be respectable. Why jettison him and then bring in another bridge caliber qb?

As you pointed out with TT the team will be in the same mid-tier zone as it is now. What it is also means that with a TT caliber of qb it is not going to climb out of that same wretched zone that we have been entrapped in for a generation. Do you think that McDermott and Beane took the job to remain stuck in the morass of mediocrity?

The mistake you are making at assessing the status of the Bills is that you are looking at it from an either/or spectrum when it is not that. It's more like adding an addition to one's house while still living in it. It's messy and sometimes chaotic but as long as the project is moving forward it is tolerable.

I'm not confusing either/or I just don't agree that is the best way to rebuild. They could have let Taylor walk, saved the cap space and started a young guy. That young guy would either show signs of being the franchise guy or you will be bad enough to get a QB in a good QB draft early AND still have the KC pick. I don't believe that winning 7 games is great for a rebuild. To quote a certain former coach we are "half-pregnant."

I have no idea whether the McD/Beane team is going to be successful. I certainly have concerns about how this "collaborative" effort is going to work in lieu of a more traditional Owner>>>GM>>>HC reporting structure would be.

Here's hoping it is a rousing success.

PS I really hope they prepare whoever gets trotted out for the PC. You know there will be a ton of questions regarding separation of duties, who reports to who, etc....

I'm not confusing either/or I just don't agree that is the best way to rebuild. They could have let Taylor walk, saved the cap space and started a young guy. That young guy would either show signs of being the franchise guy or you will be bad enough to get a QB in a good QB draft early AND still have the KC pick. I don't believe that winning 7 games is great for a rebuild. To quote a certain former coach we are "half-pregnant."

I'm of the opposite view. This is a good opportunity for finally determining TT's fate. If he raises his game to the level of his last few outings in 2016, Bills should contend for the playoffs and Bills could have an answer at QB. If he flops, they'll be in a very good draft position to grab a QB. It's a win win for McD as he rebuilds the team.

It was widely reported that Whaley wanted to get rid of TT and it was reported that he also wanted to draft a qb, Mahomes, in this draft. I agreed with that strategy. The problem was Whaley lost his authority to act when McDermott was brought on.

I'm not an absolutist on the rebuild issue. I understand why McDermott preferred keeping TT and going on from there. It's difficult to instill a positive culture and the coach maintaining credibility when you are weekly being pummeled.

I'm of the opposite view. This is a good opportunity for finally determining TT's fate. If he raises his game to the level of his last few outings in 2016, Bills should contend for the playoffs and Bills could have an answer at QB. If he flops, they'll be in a very good draft position to grab a QB. It's a win win for McD as he rebuilds the team.

I just worry that we win between 7 and 8 games, the Chiefs make the playoffs, & we don't have enough to trade up to get a top qb & settle for the JP Losman of a great class.

I just worry that we win between 7 and 8 games, the Chiefs make the playoffs, & we don't have enough to trade up to get a top qb & settle for the JP Losman of a great class.

7 win season gives them a top 10 pick, which can be packaged with #27 to move into the top 5. Plus, if TT starts looking bad at midpoint, I have no doubt that McD pulls him for the line up to see what Jones & Peterman can do.

Edited by GG

7 win season gives them a top 10 pick, which can be packaged with #27 to move into the top 5. Plus, if TT starts looking bad at midpoint, I have no doubt that McD pulls him for the line up to see what Jones & Peterman can do.

If that is the case, we better hope that there are top 5 teams that don't need a qb.

And SM strikes me as a "every game is super important and it's not about evaluating young players" guy.