Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

We'll see...

I mean the distinction is very clear. We lose a year of him guaranteed playing for us. It's muddy as to what is going to transpire. I think he's going to be great, and we will eventually sign him to a monster deal. That's the prediction and my want. I think the move yesterday slightly lessened those chances, and surely lessened the chances that we have him for sure the next two years.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're missing a key distinction: if they pick up his option, he's under contract, whereas if they tag him, he doesn't have to sign it, and therefore would not be under contract

I know that. Thats why I stated that he wouldnt get paid.

I think it is a quite sound business decision to not pick up the option.

Hope he plays his A** off for us (Him) this year !!!!

Go Sammy Watkins :thumbsup:

If healthy, we may see amazing stuff, because he's got that in him. (Assuming he gets some accurate targets....and I'd like to think the new staff will make that happen.)

If healthy, we may see amazing stuff, because he's got that in him. (Assuming he gets some accurate targets....and I'd like to think the new staff will make that happen.)

I am also going to assume taylor will be "told" to throw it if he continues to hesitate.

Lets hope that aspect of his game is Coached up this offseason.

( Get me the Ball ) Sammy was able to make stupid catches with Tyrod just chucking it out there. Even in tight doubled coverage.

That damned foot us hurting us all : (

I am also going to assume taylor will be "told" to throw it if he continues to hesitate.

Lets hope that aspect of his game is Coached up this offseason.

( Get me the Ball ) Sammy was able to make stupid catches with Tyrod just chucking it out there. Even in tight doubled coverage.

That damned foot us hurting us all : (

that's the biggest concern that shouldn't be over looked. the injury could hamper his career?

that's the biggest concern that shouldn't be over looked. the injury could hamper his career?

My position changed on his long term health when he played injured. Then it was finally announced he needed a second surgery. Something did not feel right when the team was trying to explain it during the season. Felt like funny business and some BS going on. I am sure it was mostly shinola for other Defenses to keep worrying (?) when he got on the field.

Hope the Bills medical staff has been refreshed too !

Can they trade him please for 2 first round picks, ill feel better, been bitter

about that ever since.

The Bills can trade Sammy for two 1st round picks in the same way that The Angry Birds Movie can win the Best Picture Oscar.

My position changed on his long term health when he played injured. Then it was finally announced he needed a second surgery. Something did not feel right when the team was trying to explain it during the season. Felt like funny business and some BS going on. I am sure it was mostly shinola for other Defenses to keep worrying (?) when he got on the field.

Hope the Bills medical staff has been refreshed too !

another interesting situation to wait out. can not deny when on the field he can play lights out, just needs to remain healthy. declining his option would lead one to believe it's not about his skill set as much as it is how much will he be able to contribute worth any serious contract negotiation?

another interesting situation to wait out. can not deny when on the field he can play lights out, just needs to remain healthy. declining his option would lead one to believe it's not about his skill set as much as it is how much will he be able to contribute worth any serious contract negotiation?

agreed. he does need to prove, he is his foot is healthy ?

He obviously is a tough kid playing through other crap ( ribs).

and if his boo boo foot is fixed? I want Tyrod to throw it to him all day, except when he throws to Zay or Clay. : )

I would like to note, Zay can be moved around and knows the X Y and Z positions and trees. Time to get Sammy that YAC game going. ala Clemson.

Jeebus that would be fun !! :beer:

this really could turn out well for us : )

Edited by 3rdand12

I hope he plays ok and we pull a P Price move for a extra 1st. Then we would have 3 1st round picks, and plenty of ammo to move up and get our pick of qb.

Yea, let's take our 1rst round picks that turn into franchise players and trade them for 1rst round picks so we can gamble all over again. This is a degenerate mentality fairly prevalent with this team. Even when you win, you lose.

Whats wrong with everyone? Here Ill let you know. There is no if his foot is still injured. Hes not taking part of anything until late July at the earliest. His foot is clearly still a mitigating factor. There is no if. The only if is if it will heal.

We are talking past each other here so I'll just let it go by saying there are pros and cons to not picking up his option at this point and I'll let it go at that. He's an elite receiver and we need to find ways to keep those types of players on the team. And I fully understand the need for him to be in the lineup game in and game out to prove it, too.

Regarding the bold text, I'm confused. You emphatically state there is no "if" and in the very next sentence go on to say what the "if" is.

but you are basically blaming Watkins for not being good enough when the real issue is that he keeps getting hurt

It's the same thing IMO, not being able to stay on the field = not good enough.