Bills Decline 5th Year Option on Sammy Watkins

I think we all need to face facts, Whaley destroyed that draft, picked the wrong player after trading up (should have been Mack), and now the franchise is suffering for it. So many of us at the time berated the move as idiotic, especially in a deep WR draft. Trading up for Watkins to help out the previous draft's reach of a QB, it's so very plain to see why the Bills have sucked for so long...

Watkins will go down as another Buffalo Bills draft bust unfortunately.

I'm glad McNoggin has the guts to not pick up the option and to move on from the frail player that Watkins is.

I'd say staying put and taking Evans would have been the correct move, one could make the same argument for Odell. Hot take alert, Evans is on his way to becoming the most productive receiver for the foreseeable future. Edited by Commonsense

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say staying put and taking Evans would have been the correct move, one could make the same argument for Odell. Hot take alert, Evans is on his way to becoming the most productive receiver for the foreseeable future.

Evans was taken before the original Bills pick.

I'd say staying put and taking Evans would have been the correct move, one could make the same argument for Odell. Hot take alert, Evans is on his way to becoming the most productive receiver for the foreseeable future.

Evans was gone before the 9th pick.

Oh snap, guess I have been drinking too much celebrating Whaley's departure. Well I guess that makes the case for Odell and keeping the other first rounder.

Evans is going to surpass Julio and AB this season or next.

Can't see that at all.

Oh snap, guess I have been drinking too much celebrating Whaley's departure. Well I guess that makes the case for Odell and keeping the other first rounder.

Yes, but I hate draft analysis where you can use hindsight to find the best players. It makes every GM look bad. I think you can attack poor decision making but it needs to be within reason.

Can't see that at all.

That's why it's HOT!

Continued improvement from Evans and Winston will close the gap and the inevitable slowing of the other two will be when he passes them. Julio is always banged up, buisness can't always be Booming for AB.

Yes, but I hate draft analysis where you can use hindsight to find the best players. It makes every GM look bad. I think you can attack poor decision making but it needs to be within reason.

Right. Even as an LSU fan I didn't see Odell's game translating this well to the NFL. I don't think anyone did.

Most of the talk was Martin, Ebron, Evans if I remember correctly. I wasn't on this board then though, so I don't know what people around here thought.

I was just saying I would have preferred Odell over that trade up for Mack/Watkins etc.

That's why it's HOT!

Continued improvement from Evans and Winston will close the gap and the inevitable slowing of the other two will be when he passes them. Julio is always banged up, buisness can't always be Booming for AB.

With DJax and OJ Howard on board his production might actually be lower.

Yes, it appears so. Not that there's a problem with that.

Edited by stony

Vic Carucci "has doubts" Bills are motivated to extend contract-year WR Sammy Watkins, even after the season:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/05/vic-caruccis-bills-mailbag-watkins-adding-ownerships-voice-backfield-depth-questions/

Not buying his supposition that if he has a big year....say 1500yds and 10-12tds.....that he is not tagged or extended after the year.

Vic Carucci "has doubts" Bills are motivated to extend contract-year WR Sammy Watkins, even after the season:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/05/05/vic-caruccis-bills-mailbag-watkins-adding-ownerships-voice-backfield-depth-questions/

Well the way he has played he is barely worth 5m on a one year deal let alone 10-12m on a long term.

With DJax and OJ Howard on board his production might actually be lower.

Winston spreads it around to everyone else but it's clear Evans is his favorite. I would be surprised if Howard's production is better than Brate's was. He had 57 catches for 660 and 8 touchdowns. DJax's attempts should replace what Vjax would have been expected to do. Both of those guys are similar, they are always banged up. Edited by Commonsense

If the target trend continues, he will.

As I've said over and over on this board: the biggest predictor of WR production, by far, is quantity of targets.

That's fair.

Were you high on Evans in that draft? I wasn't, not at all! One of my bigger misses.

I agree with this, though it is within reason to say Sammy's year was regarded as a deep WR class.

If Sammy stays healthy and gets targets he will be among the best in the league this year.

If they don't pay him after that, McDermott will be setting himself up for failure as did the coaches and GMs before him throughout the drought.

You need good talent to be a good coach in this league.

Yep. No matter how good any scheme is you still need talented players to win. I hope McDermott isn't one of those guys who has no room for creative and talented people who might cast a bigger shadow than he does.