Bills GM Candidates

wppete

Idc what way anyone spins this, buffalo is doin their due diligence. They could have just hired Beane and been done with it.

However, they have in fact looked at other candidates and qualified ones at that.

I like them digging into the Green Bay pool.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if the rumours are true Brandon Beane is a potential replacement for Whaley? Here is just one link I found:

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2017/04/buffalo_bills_fire_gm_doug_whaley_brandon_beane_potential_replacement.html

If this is true The Bills are in the Hands of a First Time HC at the age of 43. And a First Time GM at the age of 39.

Hope the Pegulas know what they are doing. Their track record on hiring HCs and GMs is not great. Anyone seriously concerned here?

People worry too much about the age thing. The new President of France is 39. Teddy Roosevelt was 42. JFK was 43. Mike Tomlin was 36 when hired. Madden was 32 when hired. Cower 34.

Idc what way anyone spins this, buffalo is doin their due diligence. They could have just hired Beane and been done with it.

However, they have in fact looked at other candidates and qualified ones at that.

I like them digging into the Green Bay pool.

same here. Like that they are taking their time. I think they get it right this time. I think Whaley must have had a personnel issues (hard to work with).

Also Brian Gukenust was born in Raleigh NC.

So like I have been saying on Twitter, let me strawman here and say that's the connection to McDermott lol

How young is this guy??? McD was only in Carolina for a few years! :D

How young is this guy??? McD was only in Carolina for a few years! :D

Lmao, I think he's old enough to order a beer at a bar, but not old enough to utilize that AARP card at a restaurant lol.

Listen, full disclosure, I my self have nitpicked silly things in order to make my case.

I was a member of BBMB since October of 2004, I have had my share of very silly stances and arguments.

However, this age one is becoming extremely out of context and making little sense for those who are so concerned with it.

McVay in LA was 30 upon being hired and many thought it was a great hire.

Even if they know Beane is the guy, I think they also want to pick the brains of these personnel guys and their team building strategies. An interview process is a great way to dig into successful FOs and how they do things, a really good learning opportunity.

seems like a good strategy to me

Lmao, I think he's old enough to order a beer at a bar, but not old enough to utilize that AARP card at a restaurant lol.

Listen, full disclosure, I my self have nitpicked silly things in order to make my case.

I was a member of BBMB since October of 2004, I have had my share of very silly stances and arguments.

However, this age one is becoming extremely out of context and making little sense for those who are so concerned with it.

McVay in LA was 30 upon being hired and many thought it was a great hire.

I heard a Mcvay interview on the radio while driving. Very impressed.

I really dont care about the age of the successful candidate

I care that they (HC and GM) share the same vision of the direction of the team and HOW TO BIULD A TEAM together.....

I hate seeing people lose their jobs....but the supposid backfighting on players just wore a little thin with Whaley......he seemed to always be at odds with the coaches (which he didnt need to be even if he didnt hire them)

Just get some guys that know football and can work together and lets roll

LMAO Obstructed? How about a man with a clear vision, no BS and wants to get it done right? I am sick of this 5 different people making decisions BS. Where has that got us? McDermott has a clear vision, has two damn good systems with two good coaches running them.

He finally cleared out the swap that was our scouting department and letting a guy who is ready to do the job, take it over and fill it. One guy, one vision, ownership has bought in, the GM will support the vision and get us the players that fit the vision and the systems.

This is a GREAT time in Buffalo Bills history imho and WAY over due.

I fully support our coach and it's been nothing but positive from him so far. I guess my view was the generalized concept of how a GM is there before the coach in most cases. For certain candidates, they would want to pick their own coach.

That said, I'm glad we're going further and looking into more candidates. I jumped the gun thinking "second interview" all but concluded our gm search.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/e39af689-a87c-36c3-b0c7-ab9cc727ecd3/ss_bills-invite-panthers.html

The early favorite for the Buffalo Bills general manager job appears to be one step closer to landing the gig. Carolina Panthers assistant GM Brandon Beane will have a second interview this week in Buffalo, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports on Monday

The biggest issue with Whaley was that he was never on the same page with his coaches. Whoever they hire better share the same vision.

Actually I think the big issue with Whaley was that he didn't play well with the local media (and possibly some Bills FO insiders), got on the media schittlist, and so got all these stories about arguments, fights, "going rogue" etc etc.

Other issues that may or may not have been Whaley's fault but that def. impacted the team's growth and perception of Whaley:

1) contract details. not enough protections for the team on some of the big contracts such as Dareus; too much guaranteed money on injury-risk players like OL Chris Williams; kind of weird optional TT extension last year that had to be re-done this spring. How much of this on Overdorf/lawyers and how much on Whaley, dunno but the buck gotta stop somewhere

2) player injuries. players drafted or picked up by Bills who either didn't play at all or saw limited action. How much on the medical staff who vetted them and how much on Whaley, again, buck gotta stop somewhere

3) player violations. Dareus drag racing/substance abuse; Henderson substance abuse; Karlos Williams substance abuse/weight gain; Kouandjio partially clothed in a field (!!!). Not Whaley's fault per se but again - buck gotta stop somewhere for chosing guys who can't stay straight and giving them (in some cases) big contracts.

Actually I think the big issue with Whaley was that he didn't play well with the local media (and possibly some Bills FO insiders), got on the media schittlist, and so got all these stories about arguments, fights, "going rogue" etc etc.

Other issues that may or may not have been Whaley's fault but that def. impacted the team's growth and perception of Whaley:

1) contract details. not enough protections for the team on some of the big contracts such as Dareus; too much guaranteed money on injury-risk players like OL Chris Williams; kind of weird optional TT extension last year that had to be re-done this spring. How much of this on Overdorf/lawyers and how much on Whaley, dunno but the buck gotta stop somewhere

2) player injuries. players drafted or picked up by Bills who either didn't play at all or saw limited action. How much on the medical staff who vetted them and how much on Whaley, again, buck gotta stop somewhere

3) player violations. Dareus drag racing/substance abuse; Henderson substance abuse; Karlos Williams substance abuse/weight gain; Kouandjio partially clothed in a field (!!!). Not Whaley's fault per se but again - buck gotta stop somewhere for chosing guys who can't stay straight and giving them (in some cases) big contracts.

Probably a combination of all those things. To me, Whaley never played well in public. He'd stammer in radio interviews, get flustered sometimes and could not think quickly on his feet when questioning went sideways. He didn't present like a real confident guy. From everything i saw and read, he never seemed like a leader.... He seemed much better suited in his behind-the-scenes roles as scouting director, pro personnel, etc,,,

Right off the bat, you hear people that know Beane describe him as a leader and very smart. So that's probably what the Pegulas want...along with someone who shares the same vision with McDermott.

It seems like both teams are going the young, up and coming, super smart route.

I like it.

If it works out and these guys live up to all the accolades and praise they get "around the league" then we could be set for a lot of fun for quite a while!