Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Tyrod the person, great guy, high character, very athletic, exciting, even dynamic at times, just because he is that doesn't mean he is a very good QB.

New coaches, new players, more game film on him, new system, that he struggles with the basics of, doesn't exactly spell a recipe for success.

We shall see.

Why do we think that he struggles with it? Kubiak & co offered him more money to come to Denver than he took to come to the Bills. They surely think that he can execute the system or they wouldn't have done that, no?

I'm not expecting him to suddenly be great but I'm not expecting him to suddenly fall of the cliff either. I expect him to be the exact same guy that he's been.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Why do we think that he struggles with it? Kubiak & co offered him more money to come to Denver than he took to come to the Bills. They surely think that he can execute the system or they wouldn't have done that, no?

I'm not expecting him to suddenly be great but I'm not expecting him to suddenly fall of the cliff either. I expect him to be the exact same guy that he's been.

Kaep fell off a cliff.

Then there's this:

"The Buffalo Bills have no idea what they're doing at Quaterback"

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/buffalo-bills-tyrod-taylor-brandon-beane-sean-mcdermott-quarterback-comments-quotes-051517

"The Bills are a complete mess, and the disconnect between McDermott and Beane has proved exactly that. After just a week together, they don’t seem to know who will be the team’s starter for years to come, let alone in Week 1."

I guess he *doesn't* like the idea of an open competition? Some people can't help but read into every word... :D

Wow, I thought he was just joking around and trying to be funny when I read that quote you posted. But he was dead serious... lmao.

What an absolutely horrible article. I mean, seriously... wow.

...and Gannon became a star. What is your point?

Fwiw, I wouldn't say that Kaep gel off the cliff. He had a decent year last year. RG3 fell off a cliff.

Kaep has been bad to mediocre since his 2015 TT esque emergence.

My point is that Tyrod shares some very similar qualities to Kaep. Moreso than Gannon.

Kaep has been bad to mediocre since his 2015 TT esque emergence.

My point is that Tyrod shares some very similar qualities to Kaep. Moreso than Gannon.

Kaep was in the Super Bowl in 2012. He had a solid year in 2016. I don't know how we project QBs with like qualities? TT is also like Randall Cunningham whose best football was played at the end of his career.

It is not a prudent approach to expect anything other than what we've seen. We don't know if he will be Kaep, Cunningham, RG3 or Russell Wilson (running out of black QBs that I am allowed to compare him to). We shouldn't expect him to be different.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Yup, they wanted him to come there and backup Peyton Manning.

Regressed from 2015 to 2016, so if you think he will perform similarly, he'll regress again right? You just said it, exact same guy, that guy regressed, so he'll regress again and why wouldn't he.

Yup, they wanted him to come there and backup Peyton Manning.

Regressed from 2015 to 2016, so if you think he will perform similarly, he'll regress again right? You just said it, exact same guy, that guy regressed, so he'll regress again and why wouldn't he.

The numbers earlier are all 29 games. I guess that you make a fair point but he played with TRASH receivers when Sammy was out. 2016 was more of a function of that than regression. IMO, Zay Jones is better than Woods and, in theory, Sammy is healthy. I don't expect regression with improved playmakers.

This offense is seeming to be a short pass, quick hitter, get the ball in a place for run after catch and get the ball into versitle playmakers hands underneath...that might not be the strength of Tyrod. But it might be the strength of some other Bills QBs. Obviously we will adapt to the players we have, I just picture something different then what Tyrod seems to want to do. I guess we will see what happens once the pads come on.

Kaep was in the Super Bowl in 2012. He had a solid year in 2016. I don't know we project QBs with like qualities? TT is also like Randall Cunningham whose best football was played at the end of his career.

It is not a prudent approach to expect anything other than what we've seen. We don't know if he will be Kaep, Cunningham, RG3 or Russell Wilson (running out of black QBs that I am allowed to compare him to). We shouldn't expect him to be different.

Kaep had a mediocre to bad 2014 and 2015 because teams had figured him out and took more and more of his game away.

Weak making this a black thing. If you don't see the similarities in Kaep and TT"s ball control, low TO, overreliance on mobility, and inability to consistently make plays from the pocket, you're just blinding yourself. It doesn't matter if they're purple.

Kaep had a mediocre to bad 2014 and 2015 because teams had figured him out and took more and more of his game away.

Weak making this a black thing. If you don't see the similarities in Kaep and TT"s ball control, low TO, overreliance on mobility, and inability to consistently make plays from the pocket, you're just blinding yourself. It doesn't matter if they're purple.

I wasn't making it a black thing. It's a running joke on here that all black QBs are compared to Vick and white receivers to Wes Welker even if they are nothing alike.

I think that Tyrod certainly has some similarities to Kaep but projecting trajectory is a VERY slippery slope. Kurt Warner bagged groceries and then went to the HOF. You are making assumptions that he will get worse because Kaep did. Other guys with similar skill sets (like Cunningham) got better. Assuming anything different than what he is doesn't really work. We shouldn't expect him to regress because Kaep did just like we shouldn't expect him to improve because Randall did.

That's like all our wins in Rex's time here, it has nothing to do with McCoy. And either way it's still true that the Bills would have won more than 2 games without McCoy so his point was still ridiculous. It's possible to dislike Tyrod without going overboard in the other direction.

2 wins na thats extreme but i do think McCoy is more valuable to the OLD offense than Tyrod was.

The numbers earlier are all 29 games. I guess that you make a fair point but he played with TRASH receivers when Sammy was out. 2016 was more of a function of that than regression. IMO, Zay Jones is better than Woods and, in theory, Sammy is healthy. I don't expect regression with improved playmakers.

I don't disagree with this but I don't know if he will be better this year. May take a year or two for it to actually happen.

Again those trash WR were open a lot.

I don't disagree with this but I don't know if he will be better this year. May take a year or two for it to actually happen.

Woods only averaged 51 receptions for 613 yards and 3 TDs in his 4 years in Buffalo.

Again those trash WR were open a lot.

I think that's fair. I expect Jones to produce more this year but it's still fair. Edited by Kirby Jackson

No, I got that. I'm saying that public confidence is, and will be perceived by most as a ruse, since people know that TT is not in their long-term plans at quarterback.

In the lineup of qbs that they've assembled I find it a far bigger ruse to pretend it's not solidly his job for 2017.

In the lineup of qbs that they've assembled I find it a far bigger ruse to pretend it's not solidly his job for 2017.

It probably will be. That doesn't mean you come out and say it's his for the season before you see anyone else in the new offense.

It probably will be. That doesn't mean you come out and say it's his for the season before you see anyone else in the new offense.

I'm not losing sleep over it... but it would be completely commonplace to have Tyrod referred to as the starter at this crossroad. I'd venture if we look back over multi year starters with a 5th round rookie being the biggest challenger-- not calling that guy the starter is the major outlier in how to handle it. It's not like they can't change it later if someone lights it up.... but you rally around your guy when it's this obvious who your guy is.

Here's hoping Jones can match that this year.

If he starts, there's no reason to believe he can't. Those aren't exactly stellar numbers.

I'm not losing sleep over it... but it would be completely commonplace to have Tyrod referred to as the starter at this crossroad. I'd venture if we look back over multi year starters with a 5th round rookie being the biggest challenger-- not calling that guy the starter is the major outlier in how to handle it. It's not like they can't change it later if someone lights it up.... but you rally around your guy when it's this obvious who your guy is.

We'll agree to disagree. Again TT isn't a long-term answer and they'll likely draft his replacement next year if one of the other guys doesn't outplay him, so I just don't see how naming him the starter for the season right now does anything to help the Bills. The players will all still work as hard as they were going to work, thinking he's going to be the starter, but if they see someone else outplaying him, they probably won't have a problem with that person being named starter and will rally around him.

You are the one expecting different results. Everything that I have said is at the EXACT same level of play as his 1st 29 games. Why do you expect change (besides for your dislike for Taylor)?

You're expecting him to throw the ball significantly more than we've ever seen him throw the ball. I consider that conjecture seeing as how Taylor has a habit of dropping back and not throwing the ball more than most QBs. We will see if Dennison and company can coax a more aggressive passing style out of him.

Yeah, McDermott really sounds like Tyrod just isn't his guy...

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-nfl-peter-king

MMQB: Is Buffalos quarterback of the future on the roster now?

McDermott: He is, in Tyrod Taylor. And then when you look at the competition we have behind him. Weve drafted Nathan Peterman, weve added T.J. Yates, and then Cardale Jones in the draft a year ago. Im not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position. So we feel good about that. Were anxious to see how Tyrod develops in his third year as a starter in a new system, a system that he has some familiarity with in terms of [new Buffalo offensive coordinator] Rick Dennisons system in Baltimore a few years back with Gary Kubiak.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

Yeah, McDermott really sounds like Tyrod just isn't his guy...http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/05/15/buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-brandon-beane-nfl-peter-kingMMQB: Is Buffalos quarterback of the future on the roster now?McDermott: He is, in Tyrod Taylor. And then when you look at the competition we have behind him. Weve drafted Nathan Peterman, weve added T.J. Yates, and then Cardale Jones in the draft a year ago. Im not sure there is a team out there that has the depth that we do at the quarterback position. So we feel good about that. Were anxious to see how Tyrod develops in his third year as a starter in a new system, a system that he has some familiarity with in terms of [new Buffalo offensive coordinator] Rick Dennisons system in Baltimore a few years back with Gary Kubiak.

To be fair though, he also said that the Bills has their #2 wide receiver on the roster before the draft. Then they traded up to get Zay Jones.

Tyrod may be his guy, or it may just be that pretty common "coach speak".

I think it will really be up to Tyrod, and what he does on the field this year. As well as what Peterman/Cardale do behind him.

Plus where we pick in the draft, which QBs are available to us and how much McDermott/Beane (etc) like those QBs will also play a part, unless a QB on the roster really take a strangle hold on the starting job and leave little doubt that they are our franchise guy. Like Beane said today, they will continue turning over every rock for a QB if there is any doubt as to whether or not they have their franchise guy.

And I still think TT is closer to a faster Alex Smith than any black quarterback.

To be fair though, he also said that the Bills has their #2 wide receiver on the roster before the draft. Then they traded up to get Zay Jones.

Tyrod may be his guy, or it may just be that pretty common "coach speak".

I think it will really be up to Tyrod, and what he does on the field this year. As well as what Peterman/Cardale do behind him.

Plus where we pick in the draft, which QBs are available to us and how much McDermott/Beane (etc) like those QBs will also play a part, unless a QB on the roster really take a strangle hold on the starting job and leave little doubt that they are our franchise guy. Like Beane said today, they will continue turning over every rock for a QB if there is any doubt as to whether or not they have their franchise guy.

Doesn't seem like coach speak to me... if anything it seems like Beane almost made him walk back his enthusiasm right after that response and McDermott's response right after that was the diplomatic one.

Sure seemed like genuine enthusiasm as his initial response.

But to each his own.

I absolutely do not think McDermott will hesitate moving on from Taylor if he's disappointed in his 2017 season. But it sure doesn't seem like this is the open competition some believed was being advertised.

Doesn't seem like coach speak to me... if anything it seems like Beane almost made him walk back his enthusiasm right after that response and McDermott's response right after that was the diplomatic one.

But to each his own.

I absolutely do not think McDermott will hesitate moving on from Taylor if he's disappointed in his 2017 season. But it sure doesn't seem like this is the open competition some believed was being advertised.

Personally, I think TT's needs to improve on his 2015 form for us to not acquire a QB next year. But I also think he's basically the unquestioned starter for 2017.

I am not sure why this is even a thing. McDermott made the decision on Taylor back in March. HC and Whaley were at odds over this issue and McDermott won out. Nothing that has happened in the past 2 months would have changed McDermott's mind on Taylor. He will be our starter this year barring injury.

But to each his own.

Of course things aren't what they seem to be when it fits you're narrative.

If McD would have gave a halfhearted endorsement though, you would have claimed it meant nothing and was just talk to promote competition and to bring out the best in Tyrod.

You view things in the light that supports what you believe. This is undeniable.

Edited by Crusher

Doesn't seem like coach speak to me... if anything it seems like Beane almost made him walk back his enthusiasm right after that response and McDermott's response right after that was the diplomatic one

But to each his own.

Of course you believe this.

I think Taylor is penciled in as the starter...penciled. He can lose this job if he's not producing in camp.

I agree with you.

Have no idea why some of you want to see this happen.

Why are you putting words in his mouth? What he said is perfectly reasonable.