Tyrod will not be handed starting Job

MAJBobby

Doesnt the ? say enough?

Sammy Watkins had a jones fracture last year.....and when he was playing he was taking himself out of games due to pain

Just because his name is in the lineup doesnt mean he was actually available to this team as a weapon last year. I would also mention that Robert Woods has played with a groin issue for the last TWO YEARS......were we getting a 100 percent player there?

We pulled Percy Harvin OFF THE COUCH....who promptly played 2 games and went on IR.....

Long story long.....we did NOT have a full compliment of receivers last year.

I never said we did.

You'd be hard pressed to find players who aren't battling some kind of nagging something every year. The Robert Woods groin smells like revisionist history.

• Replies 857
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry but...

aint.

gonna.

happen.

Wel if he doesn't, we have 2 first round picks next year to go grab whoever Beane and company see as a potential franchise QB.

This organization is in a great spot right now.

I never said we did.

You'd be hard pressed to find players who aren't battling some kind of nagging something every year. The Robert Woods groin smells like revisionist history.

So your saying the groin injury did not exist?

and you tell me a team that goes down to its 3rd receiver and is successful

Edited by John from Hemet

i am somewhat confused...McD saying TT would not be handed the starting job? At his presser, Beane said that it was obvious TT was the starter...i guess i can see now why Pegula wanted 1 person speaking for the organization when McD was hired...Perhaps McD just wants to push the younger guys by making them think they have a chance to start? who knows...guess we will see when the time comes.

Edited by JaCrispy

I've said it every few pages but it really blows my mind that anyone thinks this is an open competition in the coaches minds. I'm sure they will go where the play on the field takes them and all but it's got to be about as open as dareus, McCoy, Sammy, or clay losing their jobs in camp.

It's one of those "anything is possible" scenarios-- but if a top paid guy with a lot of game filmon the team that coaches chose to bring back and likewise chose not to bring in a viable alternative to switch to loses out in camp... well, i think it would take major injury ala romo or Bledsoe. I don't think this is like Seattle throwing all kinds of possibilities against the wall and Wilson coming out ahead (even as unlikely as that was- this would be exponentially more unlikely)

You're right.

You have to think back to your high school sports experience, if you have one. I have several. What did the coach do in tryouts? First, he put his presumptive starters on the field or court and ran some plays, then a second group, then a third group. And he watched. Base on his observations, some guys moved up, some guys moved down. Eventually he made cuts. Then it continued in practice. If the presumed starters are doing their jobs well, they keep they're jobs. If a guy isn't doing his job well enough, or if his backup is lighting up, the backup starts getting some reps, and the coach watches.

I can't imagine ti will be different for Taylor. It isn't good for the development of players to have a true open competition, sharing reps and all that. It's a new offense, Taylor's the presumed starter, he'll need all the reps he can get. If Yates, Jones or Peterman are really lighting it up through the spring and summer, sure, McDermott should look at the guy as a starter.

But on day one, Taylor will be the starter and he'll continue to be the starter unless he can't execute or someone is looking really special.

Like my original post said, there were barely any games that TT didn't have Sammy, Woods or Clay.

oh boy

Sammy.....jones fracture...not right all season....constantly had to come off the field due to pain

Woods......groin injury (you choose to believe they are lying)

Just because their names appear int he starting line up does not mean they were healthy enough to make difference

How is this so hard to understand?

i am somewhat confused...i haven't read the whole thread because it is 13 pages, but did McD say TT would not be handed the starting job? Because, at his presser, Beane said that it was obvious TT was the starter...i guess i can see now why Pegula wanted 1 person speaking for the organization when McD was hired.

You have to listen in context. McD clearly was saying that no one is guaranteed a job and no one is guaranteed a starting slot. You have to earn it. And QB is no different. He also was saying that competition is good and everyone will be competing for his job all the time.

But that doesn't mean that there are presumptive starters. When OTAs start, there has to be a first group, second group, third group. And the presumptive starters will be in the first group. Other guys, as they earn it, will work their way into first group reps. If they're good enough, they could take jobs from presumptive starters.

So Beane didn't say something that contradicted McDermott. Beane was talking about who would line up at QB until someone took his job. McDermott was saying everyone would compete for jobs. That's true.

Which one? The one no longer a Bill?

Having just one of them available at a time sucked, sorry that was poorly worded. To say we had ONE weapon, when the plan was a field full of weapons, says we were at a terrible disadvantage.

You have to listen in context. McD clearly was saying that no one is guaranteed a job and no one is guaranteed a starting slot. You have to earn it. And QB is no different. He also was saying that competition is good and everyone will be competing for his job all the time.

But that doesn't mean that there are presumptive starters. When OTAs start, there has to be a first group, second group, third group. And the presumptive starters will be in the first group. Other guys, as they earn it, will work their way into first group reps. If they're good enough, they could take jobs from presumptive starters.

So Beane didn't say something that contradicted McDermott. Beane was talking about who would line up at QB until someone took his job. McDermott was saying everyone would compete for jobs. That's true.

Cool, man. Thanks for the clarification. :thumbsup:

oh boy

Sammy.....jones fracture...not right all season....constantly had to come off the field due to pain

Woods......groin injury (you choose to believe they are lying)

Just because their names appear int he starting line up does not mean they were healthy enough to make difference

How is this so hard to understand?

If they couldn't make a difference, why were they out there?

If they couldn't make a difference, why were they out there?

Is this a joke? Watkins didn't play enough in 2016 to be a difference maker. Woods missed time. The WR corp was the worst in the NFL when those two were not on the field.