RD 5, Pick 171: Nathan Peterman (QB) - Pitt

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Nathan Peterman = Frank Reich and Cardale Jones = Jim Kelly? Is that the thinking? TT just a one to two year stop gap?

At the end of preseason, if Peterman shows promise & Cardale comes along ``we have to cut someone as few keep three let alone 4 QBs who gets cut first? Yates? Tyrod?

Could be ugly.

If what you say happens (Peterman shows promise, Cardale comes along) then Yates will be cut, obviously. Unless they keep four QB's.

Do you have their combine stats to prove that.

The statement from others is that QBs increase their Arm strength in the NFL. Did they start out around Peterman and get a bit stronger.

What was Brady's combine velocity - I can not find it, but his velocity was very bad early on in his career.

What are your numbers that prove that. Coming out of the combine his arm strength and velocity I do not believe was any better than Peterman at all.

I just finished reading a book called "The Arm" by Jeff Passan (highly recommended, by the way.) It's a baseball book focused on Tommy John surgery and guys blowing out their arms more and more frequently at younger ages. But there's also a chapter in there about guys who significantly increased velocity through training programs (no, not steroids, although that certainly worked too), including guys who came back from TJ surgery throwing harder than they ever did before. By the way, in baseball it's not unusual even without newfangled training programs for pitchers to hit peak velocity in their mid-20s. Peterman will be 23 next week, so it's not out of the question that he could pick up a few ticks on his "fastball" over the next couple years of sitting and waiting.

"Can make the necessary throws. His arm is strong enough. Can be a solid starting quarterback". Mel Kiper

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/video/clip?id=19086850

"A capable thrower on the run. Arm strength is good enough on out routes." Mike Mayock

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article136524153.html

"Peterman had a strong Senior Bowl week, and in my study of his film I've seen accuracy, poise, instincts and a good enough arm to make pro-level throws across the field. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694599-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-nathan-peterman-this-years-dak-prescott/

"Despite lacking top tier arm strength, Peterman can still throw the ball down field and completes many of his passes at a high percentage."

http://nflmocks.com/2016/11/16/underrated-2017-nfl-draft/

Edited by BullBuchanan

"Can make the necessary throws. His arm is strong enough. Can be a solid starting quarterback". Mel Kiper

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/video/clip?id=19086850

"A capable thrower on the run. Arm strength is good enough on out routes." Mike Mayock

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article136524153.html

"Peterman had a strong Senior Bowl week, and in my study of his film I've seen accuracy, poise, instincts and a good enough arm to make pro-level throws across the field. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2694599-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-is-nathan-peterman-this-years-dak-prescott/

"Despite lacking top tier arm strength, Peterman can still throw the ball down field and completes many of his passes at a high percentage."

http://nflmocks.com/2016/11/16/underrated-2017-nfl-draft/

That's reasonably encouraging. Although the only one there I put any stock in is Mayock, and just saying he can throw out routes means it's really not strong enough for deep outs and long balls, which is the real decider. If it's strong enough for out routes he's very limited. "Can still throw the ball downfield" means nothing. On clips you can see him do that. Kiper does nothing. Matt Miller usually knows what he is talking about, or often enough.

That's reasonably encouraging. Although the only one there I put any stock in is Mayock, and just saying he can throw out routes means it's really not strong enough for deep outs and long balls, which is the real decider. If it's strong enough for out routes he's very limited. "Can still throw the ball downfield" means nothing. On clips you can see him do that. Kiper does nothing. Matt Miller usually knows what he is talking about, or often enough.

Well, the out route and comebacks are the two hardest throws in football. Every player on an NFL roster can throw a deep ball. It just depends if that deep ball is a normal 30-40 yarder or some JaMarcus Russel 70 yarder from one knee. I really dont think that ever matters except for hail mary plays. Feel free to bring in Cardale on those.

Well, the out route and comebacks are the two hardest throws in football. Every player on an NFL roster can throw a deep ball. It just depends if that deep ball is a normal 30-40 yarder or some JaMarcus Russel 70 yarder from one knee. I really dont think that ever matters except for hail mary plays. Feel free to bring in Cardale on those.

The deep out is the hardest throw. Not the out.

I've watched a lot of tape and like someone said, definitely kinda Brees-esque in setting up for throws. Navigates the pocket well. Pretty accurate. Doesn't have a howitzer for an arm, but that can be worked on. More importantly, he all there up stairs so we may have a chance at a diamond in the rough

If he earns it hopefully soon :-) noone expected russell wilson to win the starters role in his first camp but pete carroll had a true open competition.. if he earns it he deserves it :-) go bils!

That's kind of what I mean. Kirk Cousins, according to scouts and draft pundits, has enough arm strength.

Nate Peterman, according to scouts and draft experts, does not have a strong arm.

I just don't think you can compare the two and say, "Well hey look Kirk Cousins is doing ok".

I've read more than a couple scouts say he has enough arm strength to be an NFL starter. Nolan Nawrocki says he has enough. He's no guru, but is respected. Watching him in college I'd say he has enough. He's a pretty savvy qb. Reminds me of a stronger Fitz with accuracy. That's sounds a lot worse than it is. I think he's, at worst, a pretty good backup long term.

I've read more than a couple scouts say he has enough arm strength to be an NFL starter. Nolan Nawrocki says he has enough. He's no guru, but is respected. Watching him in college I'd say he has enough. He's a pretty savvy qb. Reminds me of a stronger Fitz with accuracy. That's sounds a lot worse than it is. I think he's, at worst, a pretty good backup long term.

A stronger armed, more accurate Fitz would be one hell of a QB!

1. Pennington is the only one to even be good since Montana. 2. Pennington only went so far and never really won anything. He wasn't a top ten QB.

In one respect or another he lead his team to 4 playoff appearances while he basically only played 7 seasons...when was the last time a Bills QB did that? Oh yea, Kelly...additionally, he went through two rounds of the playoffs the first two times and the first year he started, in 2002, two years after he was Drafted 18th overall, he took the 1-4 Jets to a 9-7 season and eventually an AFC Championship game. Again, when was the last time that happened for the Bills? Yeah, JK....arm strength in the NFL and by fans mostly, is significantly overrated...does the QB have to have better arm strength than your average Joe, well duh?! But to say he has to have a rocket is just false...look at Peterman's tape and tell me he can't make all the necessary throws for the Bills....if you truly believe that, then fine...we just disagree. Otherwise, while he will never be Favre, he absolutely could be a good to great WCO style QB. Pennington's numbers were very good, especially since it occurred before a defender couldn't even breathe on a receiver without getting a flag, and surprise, surprise the Offense that was geared toward Pennington....you guessed it, more of a WCO style of offense. I say this just to say, the narrative about a powerful arm in the NFL doesn't fit the reality. We could go all day about big armed QBs that never produce in the NFL....poise, accuracy, anticipation, intelligence, command of the offense, reading a Defense, making smart audibles and changing plays based on coverage...things that really matter much more than arm strength.

A stronger armed, more accurate Fitz would be one hell of a QB!

and even though Fitz was book smart, he wasn't smart on the field a lot of the time. I think NP appears to have a higher football IQ based on what I've seen so far. I have no idea how NP will do but the offense scheme fit is worth watching. Edited by YoloinOhio

Holcomb, Shitzpatrick and other qbs lacking arm strength,like Peterman. What makes him different or better?

the Bills drafted him so obviously he is an allstar.

He's a 5th rd pick, I expect little to nothing from this kid. Anything beyond that is a surprise.

K. Don't know how you wanna put this together, but I'll give you those odds if you're really going to put money down that a healthy Tyrod Taylor is on the bench Week 1 because he lost his job to Yates, Jones or Peterman.

I'm a little amazed how out of your minds some of you folks are.

Is there an online escrow service for making bets like these?