Bills leaning toward not picking Sammys 5th year option.

MAJBobby

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recievers often take time to develop. You don't make that crazy trade if you're not going to commit to him four years later.

So you thought the trade was a bad one to begin with? We could have already had our steak if we didn't make the Sammy trade. We made the trade because we thought we were getting a premium cut. You don't find that everyday. Elite recievers don't grow on trees.

It was a great draft for WRs. They could've just stuck with the 1st round pick they had and taken Odell Beckham.

@JoeBuscaglia

In offseason full of solid roster moves, #Bills decision on Watkins is the first one I disagree with. Full thoughts: https://t.co/gTV6o33DK1

You know, for years we went thru the "Ralph is Cheap" mantra. Who is keeping the purse strings tight now? The way they've handled the restricted free agent tenders and stringing out these contract decisions on Tyrod and Sammy does not look good.

pick up his fifth year option and pray that he has a good year this year, then your option expand. you might have a really good receiver, or you might trade him for yet another first round pick. three firsts in next years draft would basically guarantee we get the QB we want.

Then you still lose a year of leverage. They have no good players to pay, the Sammy trade sucked but this is a stupid decision. Just tag him and hope for the best.

Otherwise they are going to be over paying FA's with that same money.

nah, they'll just draft a WR next year.. it's the "lose and draft" Bills we have here... would be a shame if Watkins turns out to be an injury bust. now that is some real Bills bad luck

2018 Walter Football (yeah, I know) NFL mock draft has Buffalo taking a WR next year.

Sounds about right. Bills draft to fill needs and to recycle lost players from previous years.

Don't most teams? That's the whole point of the draft. Get players you need to improve the team

Sammy's going to have a big year in a different and way more beneficial to him scheme. Can he stay healthy? Yes? Offered long term contract. No? Adios amigo or tag him for one year.

My sentiments exactly. Prob the way the front office is thinking as well.

Playing basketball coming off another foot surgery was irresponsible to say the least.

I would still pick up his 5th year option and trade him if he does not want to stay here.

#1) if he gets hurt again next year, 5th year becomes guaranteed at $13M.Yep lots of takers for an injured $13M WR

#2) if he does not get hurt, he still is $13M with only a year left to UFA..no one picking that up either

pick up his fifth year option and pray that he has a good year this year, then your option expand. you might have a really good receiver, or you might trade him for yet another first round pick. three firsts in next years draft would basically guarantee we get the QB we want.

see above...no one is trading for a $13M receiver with one year left on his deal

Kills me on here.... everyone and their brother praises the Pats( as do I) but when the Bills start to make decisions like the Pats where the good of the team is valued over the feelings of a player or the appearance of a bad pick , they get blasted as being cheap.

This is a smart, smart, move. I am not worried bout the $2M ...that will be spread over several years with a new long-term contract. Sammy aint playing under no tag in 18, they will get a long-term deal done.

Don't most teams? That's the whole point of the draft. Get players you need to improve the team

Yes and no. What I was speaking to was the Bills have shorter time horizons than many of the best teams.

I would say Green Bay has a strong GM who is running the show. Green Bay took Kevin King shortly after we took Tre White. Tre White is better now. Kevin King is an athletic freak that Green bay is banking on in 2-3 years. But Green Bay drafts for upside and Buffalo this year wants plug and play.

I got a text that said Buffalo is having a coach draft, not a GM draft.

Sammy's going to have a big year in a different and way more beneficial to him scheme. Can he stay healthy? Yes? Offered long term contract. No? Adios amigo or tag him for one year.

i think that's pretty much it. I don't think they are going to let the trade for him dictate what they do here, need to be smart. I don't think it has anything to do with how they perceive his ability and everything to do with his availability and durability.

Wow, this is really stupid.

The franchise idea doesn't sound AWFUL but I feel like there's a downside I'm missing. Maybe it's just the $2m or so and inability to franchise anyone else though. If so it's not the worst

I'd probably gamble at do the 5th year option though. Even if this year is rocky with injury I really struggle to see them just letting him walk

Lee Evans. This guy is funny.

Lee Evans, first 3 seasons: 178 catches, 2878 yards, 24 TDs, started 41 games,

Sammy, first 3 seasons: 153 catches, 2459 yards, 17 TDs, started 37 games

And while Evans had 1 season of Bledsoe, he also had 1.5 seasons of Losman and half a season of Kelly Holcomb.

Seems pretty spot on to me ....

ya i agree comparing lee evans to watkins is pretty funny

Again, why? Is it because Evans was essentially done by the time he was 28 years old? Do we know Watkins - who's had a more (not less) troubling injury history than Evans in his first 3 years - will outlast that? Besides, if I'm Bills management, why would I care what Watkins is doing when he's 28? He's no longer cost controlled. The Bills could just go out and sign any other free agent WR instead of Sammy.