Bills leaning toward not picking Sammys 5th year option.

MAJBobby

Sammy may be happy they don't pick it up. He's going to go from a 13m one year deal to a 17m one year deal.

He won't sign it . Esp if he has a good season and no further injuries. He'll be done with this team. Hold out and pull a Josh Norman, with the team eventually letting him go.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This regime didn't surrender that for him; the old regime did. That's not McDermott's problem, and it's a sunk cost anyway. I think Watkins wants out (why wouldn't he want out given the circumstances???), and I think McDermott wants guys who are "all in." I also think that the foot is a real wildcard here.

In any event, I don't expect the Bills to pony up $17 million for a one-year deal with a WR. I like Watkins a ton, so I hope I'm wrong. But we've been down this road before.

Ummm... because you cannot win more than one game in the NFL with Zay Jones as your best receiver? Sammy is frustrated for sure, but I would bet anything more about not being able to play to his ability than anything the organization did to him. I'm sure he wants the ball more but most players like playing in Buffalo unless they are prima donnas. And he is not one.

This

Me too.

Ummm... because you cannot win more than one game in the NFL with Zay Jones as your best receiver? Sammy is frustrated for sure, but I would bet anything more about not being able to play to his ability than anything the organization did to him. I'm sure he wants the ball more but most players like playing in Buffalo unless they are prima donnas. And he is not one.

I think you are deluded, my friend. He's going to want out, and the Bills aren't going to want a player who absolutely doesn't want to be here. He'd be foolish not to be very protective of his health this season too.

It looks like the Bills won't be picking up Watkins' option. I think that's a mistake. The only way we come out of this looking "good" is if Sammy gets hurt or wildly disappoints next year, in which case we look even dumber for trading up for him in the first place. If he has a good year then is franchised or walks, it'll be the latest in a long line of laughingstock moments for the Bills.

And for the record, I hated the trade up, and wasn't a big fan of Watkins coming out of college. Mike Evans was my guy. I was way off on Beckham and Benjamin, though, so it's not like I'm some elite WR scout.

It looks like the Bills won't be picking up Watkins' option. I think that's a mistake. The only way we come out of this looking "good" is if Sammy gets hurt or wildly disappoints next year, in which case we look even dumber for trading up for him in the first place. If he has a good year then is franchised or walks, it'll be the latest in a long line of laughingstock moments for the Bills.

And for the record, I hated the trade up, and wasn't a big fan of Watkins coming out of college. Mike Evans was my guy. I was way off on Beckham and Benjamin, though, so it's not like I'm some elite WR scout.

as far as the trade, no one is left who was involved with it, so no one looks dumb.

The Bills should not be worried about looking good. They would rather he perform and stay healthy than get hurt and they "look good" for not picking it up. No one knows the future they can only make the best decision for the team based on what they know now about his foot. If they think there is a decent chance 13 mill could be sitting on IR next year they should not pick it up just to add a year of control. Imo

Edited by YoloinOhio

He won't sign it . Esp if he has a good season and no further injuries. He'll be done with this team. Hold out and pull a Josh Norman, with the team eventually letting him go.

It's possible. I would doubt it though. None of us have any real idea what health he is going to have, what kind of productive offense we are going to have, what kind of season we are going to have, what McD and Dennison are going to do to get the ball in Sammy's hands, what kind of numbers he is going to put up if healthy, etc. it's all a clean slate for one year. If they don't get him the ball like the last crew, then yes I think he'll want out as quick as he can. But they can't be that dumb, can they? ;)

Me too.

I think you are deluded, my friend. He's going to want out, and the Bills aren't going to want a player who absolutely doesn't want to be here. He'd be foolish not to be very protective of his health this season too.

See above, about what we don't know.

It's possible. I would doubt it though. None of us have any real idea what health he is going to have, what kind of productive offense we are going to have, what kind of season we are going to have, what McD and Dennison are going to do to get the ball in Sammy's hands, what kind of numbers he is going to put up if healthy, etc. it's all a clean slate for one year. If they don't get him the ball like the last crew, then yes I think he'll want out as quick as he can. But they can't be that dumb, can they? ;)

Oh no, you didn't !

Because you said winning will make a player happy, and coddling them will not make them happy. Shady was happy and coddled, and wasn't held accountable by Rex, and yet still worked his ass off and succeeded.

Different degrees of happiness I guess. If you are a McD type player, accountability and winning are your path to happiness.What type of player would you rather work with? Based on the last two seasons, the Shady and Kyle Williams types (players with pride and who hold themselves accountable) were the exception not the rule.

Perhaps my statement was too broad, but as an athlete who played sports my whole life, I have witnessed the difference. Players need accountability and fairness. Coddling creates an unfair environment, jealousy and slacking. You can't win with that.

Different degrees of happiness I guess. If you are a McD type player, accountability and winning are your path to happiness.What type of player would you rather work with? Based on the last two seasons, the Shady and Kyle Williams types (players with pride and who hold themselves accountable) were the exception not the rule.

Perhaps my statement was too broad, but as an athlete who played sports my whole life, I have witnessed the difference. Players need accountability and fairness. Coddling creates an unfair environment, jealousy and slacking. You can't win with that.

I agree with that for the most part. Cheers.

Sammy is soft. He's soft physically and he's soft mentally. There is nothing that I've seen from him in 3 years that would indicate he is a team-first type of player who will take anything less than an outlandish contract to re-sign. He is Gilmore, but on Offense. He will play under the tag if need be, but complain about it and then head to a team with a good QB. It takes a certain mindset to re-sign for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 17 years and Sammy does not have that mindset; he is not interested in sticking around to build a winner, he wants to go to a winner and I don't really blame him for it.

Not picking up Watkins 5th year option is smart. It's nice to sit here as fans and assume that somehow, his injuries of two years ago are somehow magically behind him. Of particular note is that he's STILL dealing with them. The guy has played 16, 13 and then just 8 games last year. While I'm reminded of a similar start to his career in Julio Jones that played 13, 15 and 5 games in his first three seasons, I'm also reminded that Matt Ryan is throwing for 4,500+ yards a season versus Tyrod's 3,000. While it's possible for Tyrod to be more productive, I tend to be realistic in terms of his ceiling as a passer, which also puts a ceiling on what Watkins will be able to achieve. Putting it all together, why would any team that's marginal in terms of their passing offense, pay big bucks to their supposed #1 WR that hasn't even proven that he can stay on the field? At the end of the day, if he knocks it out of the park this season, he's getting tagged or he's getting a new deal. If he's on and off the field again with whatever injury bug that decides to plague him this year, and Zay Jones steps up, he's as good as gone and should be.

No. He doesn't have much of a choice as it is a team option. He agreed to it when he signed his rookie deal. There's literally nothing new for him to sign. He could hold out, but wouldn't have any leverage and could lose a lot of money.

Sammy is soft. He's soft physically and he's soft mentally. There is nothing that I've seen from him in 3 years that would indicate he is a team-first type of player who will take anything less than an outlandish contract to re-sign. He is Gilmore, but on Offense. He will play under the tag if need be, but complain about it and then head to a team with a good QB. It takes a certain mindset to re-sign for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in 17 years and Sammy does not have that mindset; he is not interested in sticking around to build a winner, he wants to go to a winner and I don't really blame him for it.

Soft? He tore up the NFL on a broken foot in 2015.

The worse news here isn't the option, it's his foot. The report was that they were going to pick it up as long as they were comfortable with the assessment from the medical team. Apparently that's not the case.

Yes, this is the real issue behind everything.

Amazing how fans want to run anyone with talent out of Buffalo. I remember this with Marshawn Lynch.

As Yolo mentions above, the foot is probably the biggest issue here. There's a lot that we don't know.

The worse news here isn't the option, it's his foot. The report was that they were going to pick it up as long as they were comfortable with the assessment from the medical team. Apparently that's not the case.

Speaking of that foot, I have to think Watkins and his people (agent etc) are pissed at the Bills for pushing him back on the field in early 2016. He shouldn't have been playing, and playing made the situation worse.