Bills leaning toward not picking Sammys 5th year option.

MAJBobby

i won't name the poster since there is a reason it was PMd but at the end of last season I was told that he knew someone in the Clemson program who had talked to Shaq and Sammy. Both were unhappy with management and said Whaley used to play on his phone in important meetings signalling he didn't take things seriously.Then there was Sammy telling the media Rex's staff Didnt holding the team accountable, etc. I take those things to mean he welcomes a change. The response is TBD.

I remember after Rex was relieved of his duties, Sammy stated (paraphrasing here) that he wanted someone like Dabo Swinney, strict but fair. Even went on to say how the culture needs to change and expect to go into games to win and not to lose.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i won't name the poster since there is a reason it was PMd but at the end of last season I was told that he knew someone in the Clemson program who had talked to Shaq and Sammy. Both were unhappy with management and said Whaley used to play on his phone in important meetings signalling he didn't take things seriously.Then there was Sammy telling the media Rex's staff Didnt holding the team accountable, etc. I take those things to mean he welcomes a change. The response is TBD.

Interesting stuff. My guess is that Watkins wants to get the hell out of Buffalo ASAFP. This place has been chaos central ever since he arrived here. And I won't be surprised if he plays in protective mode this season given looming free agency and his injury history. He's not gonna take one for the team and play while hurt. And who can blame him? The Bills totally effed up his injury situation last season.

Edited by dave mcbride

I remember after Rex was relieved of his duties, Sammy stated (paraphrasing here) that he wanted someone like Dabo Swinney, strict but fair. Even went on to say how the culture needs to change and expect to go into games to win and not to lose.

A few wins early would do wonders for these young guys. The schedule makers may have done us a favor with an opening day romp over the Jets.

Good share Yolo. I hope the young guys respond to the new coach but I remain concerned. It's one thing to say we want accountability, then when a coach is all up your ass that attitude may change.

today is deadline day

i would pick up the option....hell, i'd try to sign him long term

have no idea which way McD will go

I would pick it up as well. We'll see. I don't feel too confident though. I think they are going to lose the player.

to me, the #1 reason sammy would want to leave is "targets"......he ain't getting enough of them here.

Sammy has no right to B word about targets until he can stay healthy enough to develop real chemistry with Tyrod.

Dude has talent for days, but the smart thing is decline his option and if he has a healthy, breakout year then tag him. Its a couple mill difference, not a cap buster

I would try to make my most talented player happy but maybe that's just me.

There's a difference between pandering and making the player happy. Rex was pandering, winning and overall accountability make players happy. Coddling them like rex did won't

There's a difference between pandering and making the player happy. Rex was pandering, winning and overall accountability make players happy. Coddling them like rex did won't

ESPN guys last week tried to get Shady to badmouth Rex for being a buffoon and Shady brushed them off and said "I love Rex." And you can't say Shady didn't give 100% and do everything he could to win.

If the Bills pay it. I strongly doubt that they will.

Unless he sucks there is no question that they will. And unless he is very hurt he will not suck. He's one of the better players in the league.

If the Bills pay it. I strongly doubt that they will.

If Sammy performs why *wouldn't* they tag him?

The only thing picking up the option does is gives us one more year to decide if we want to tag / or sign him long-term. Of course with that option if he were to get hurt this year, both this and next year's salary would be guaranteed.

Let him play the year out - if he makes it through relatively unscathed tag / sign him long term. Or that's how I'd approach it...

ESPN guys last week tried to get Shady to badmouth Rex for being a buffoon and Shady brushed them off and said "I love Rex." And you can't say Shady didn't give 100% and do everything he could to win.

Unless he sucks there is no question that they will. And unless he is very hurt he will not suck. He's one of the better players in the league.

How does that contradict my statement?

Interesting stuff. My guess is that Watkins wants to get the hell out of Buffalo ASAFP. This place has been chaos central ever since he arrived here. And I won't be surprised if he plays in protective mode this season given looming free agency and his injury history. He's not gonna take one for the team and play while hurt. And who can blame him? The Bills totally effed up his injury situation last season.

Ok that is why I say don't pick up the option and franchise his ass this offseason. No way in hell you just let him walk after surrendering an additional 1st and 4th for the guy

Not unless he can show it over an entire season. Sammys best bet is to stay healthy and put up outstanding numbers this year.

Ok that is why I say don't pick up the option and franchise his ass this offseason. No way in hell you just let him walk after surrendering an additional 1st and 4th for the guy

This regime didn't surrender that for him; the old regime did. That's not McDermott's problem, and it's a sunk cost anyway. I think Watkins wants out (why wouldn't he want out given the circumstances???), and I think McDermott wants guys who are "all in." I also think that the foot is a real wildcard here.

In any event, I don't expect the Bills to pony up $17 million for a one-year deal with a WR. I like Watkins a ton, so I hope I'm wrong. But we've been down this road before.

Not unless he can show it over an entire season. Sammys best bet is to stay healthy and put up outstanding numbers this year.

Sammy is going to be in 1-year deal Alshon/Pryor territory In the FA market soon if he has a 2017 like his 2016 - needs a consistent injury free year imo