Bills leaning toward not picking Sammys 5th year option.

MAJBobby

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passing on Sammy's option is the right move. IMO, the only thing to be accomplished by picking it up is ensuring that he gets paid no matter what. If he produces in 2017, it's doubtful he'd actually play out the option year without the Bills giving him a long term deal for big money anyway. If he doesn't, they have the options of either negotiating a deal commensurate with his production, or letting him go. Worst case scenario = they have to pay a few million $ more to tag him. If you remove emotion from the equation, it's pretty clear.

@fieldyates

Per @FieldYates, Patriots have exercised their 5th-year option on WR Brandin Cooks. Locks him in through 2018. This was expected.

Sigh...

Why sigh? Is it cost effective to sign a player that has a lingering injury guaranteed against injury? From the looks of things something is fishy. He was out playing basketball but his footbisnt healed yet to do glorified stretching?

Me thinks more will come out about this in the future that will solidify the stance the Bills are taking on this.

No you don't. It's bad business to consider sunk cost in decision making. The only thing that matters is what he's worth right now. And I think a guaranteed franchise tag level payday for the season after the upcoming one, is not yet warranted.

What he's worth hasn't changed though. The trade was made because he was considered a rare talent with the potential to be elite. He still has the same ability. You don't find guys like that everyday. What has changed? He's going into his forth season. Receivers often take time to develop. I didn't like the trade to begin with, but it doesn't make sense to give up on him now.

What he's worth hasn't changed though. The trade was made because he was considered a rare talent with the potential to be elite. He still has the same ability. You don't find guys like that everyday. What has changed? He's going into his forth season. Receivers often take time to develop. I didn't like the trade to begin with, but it doesn't make sense to give up on him now.

i don't think it has anything to do with his development as a WR, and I also don't think they are "giving up" ... it's the structure of the option year and how it relates to his injuries that are in play Edited by YoloinOhio

i don't think it has anything to do with his development as a WR, and I also don't think they are "giving up" ... it's the structure of the option year and how it relates to his injuries that are in play

I can understand that side of it. However, in many ways you're giving him an incentive to get "hurt" now. For all we know he might give up on this season so he can go play with a real QB. Pick up the option and you are giving him a reason to be all in. It's hard to tell where his head will be at this season. He might be extra motivated to have a great season so he can cash in. On the other hand he might phone it in to go elsewhere. None of us actually know how badly he wants to be here.

Per

@Viccarucci

Hearing #Bills unlikely to pick up 5th-year option on Sammy Watkins by May 2 deadline. Not while he's still recovering from foot surgery.

That's what I was thinking. Let's see if Sammy can go all of 2017 w/o missing multiple games because of his foot.

Play to get paid.

There seems to be a belief here that Sammy's injuries are faked because he doesn't want to play in Buffalo.

Same was said about J. Byrd. In Sammy's case IMO not giving him the 5 th year unless the thought is to extend him this season. Can backfire. The Bills were his childhood team he rooted for. It is not his fault (injuries aside) that for the most part he has had sub par QB's in Buffalo. Some may think it will motivate him since it will be a contract year. Tag aside. I think if the team moved up, Paid a big price then shuts down year five. It will have an opposite effect than motivation. He just may say trade me this season Your faith in me apparently is zero. I want to play for a contending team that values my skills. The dude wants touches. Personally if they eff up Sammy's career in Buffalo it would suck.

As far as him playing pick up basketball. If anyone doubts the doctors, trainers, and OBD did not clear that too happen. I don't know what too say.

Edited by Best Player Available

Same was said about J. Byrd. In Sammy's case IMO not giving him the 5 th year unless the thought is to extend him this season. Can backfire. The Bills were his childhood team he rooted for. It is not his fault (injuries aside) that for the most part he has had sub par QB's in Buffalo. Some may think it will motivate him since it will be a contract year. Tag aside. I think if the team moved up, Paid a big price then shuts down year five. It will have an opposite effect than motivation. He just may say trade me this season Your faith in me apparently is zero. I want to play for a contending team that values my skills. The dude wants touches. Personally if they eff up Sammy's career in Buffalo it would suck.

As far as him playing pick up basketball. If anyone doubts the doctors, trainers, and OBD did not clear that too happen. I don't know what too say.

I didn't like the Sammy trade, but now we have him. You can't take the trade back now. Due to that I feel the same as you. Very well said. You aren't giving him much motivational incentive. Why wouldn't he want to go play with a better QB?

I didn't like the Sammy trade, but now we have him. You can't take the trade back now. Due to that I feel the same as you. Very well said. You aren't giving him much motivational incentive. Why wouldn't he want to go play with a better QB?

Motivational incentive are you serious? Hes getting paid to perform. Thats his job. He dont like it too bad sit on the bench. Otherwise perform. I cant believe what I just read.