TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

I know its not an Isles thread, but I can't let that last comment go without asking what Weight did wrong as interim coach?

Real quick,it's easy from the outside looking in and seeing our overall record improve under weight, but a lot of timings things happened. i.e. Ladd was playing hurt to start the year started to pick it up right when cappy gor fired. Same with Lee who had like 1 goal in hi first 18, then picked it up around when cappy was fired.

They also finally called up ho sang and played beauvillier. Recalled Halak and won a bunch in a row.

Yet, still had way to many blowouts against and way to many important games where we didn't show up or had no plan of attack to adjust to what the other team was throwing at us. He was the PP coach under cappy which was absolutely awful this year and didn't change one bit once he became the intrem.

You are trying to keep John Tavares, go out and get a coach with some experience. Some clout. No more guys learning on the job.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Whaley is getting fired how on earth is drafting a QB at 10 going to save him?

because you cant fire a gm who picks another dak or wilson or marino or kelly cough cough...

If they take Peterman rd to and he lights it up,he saves his job. Not taking a qb guarantees his demise. Unless cardale randomly becomes great

I'll continue to say that if his leash was this short you fire him in january. Either you commit to him or you don't. You don't let a guy you don't believe in run the coaching search, free agency and the draft before moving on him

Agreed. I think it's pure speculation that McD has been given the keys to the kingdom. It's entirely believable to me that they decided that Whaleys time behind the mike and camera should be limited after the week 16 press conference without thinking it's time to show him the door.

Agreed. I think it's pure speculation that McD has been given the keys to the kingdom. It's entirely believable to me that they decided that Whaleys time behind the mike and camera should be limited after the week 16 press conference without thinking it's time to show him the door.

Im normally decent at reading between the lines on these reports and I dismissed the Whaley comments for awhile but they sure have lingered. I'm starting to take the debate seriously and think that even if he stays there is a split in the decision.

Out of the frying pan into the fire. This is like when the Eagles let Chip Kelly act as GM. It is reckless.

Exactly right. Pegula looks gullible. He let Rex take over the organization in 2015, let Rex hire his brother so that the Ryan's were in complete control in 2016, you see in how the Bills drafted for two years, now we've fallen Head over heels for Carolina's DC, Sean the Wrestler.

I am not a Whaley fan, and think he is a Scout that does nothing else that the GM position demands, but at this point leadership is allowing him to be a holdover like Tom Modrak was all the way into 2010.

"Don't underestimate the impact Bills rookie coach Sean McDermott has already made on Terry Pegula.

When Buffalo's multi-franchise owner outlined concerns of discipline, structure and character he found lacking in his NHL's Sabres following last week's front-office house-cleaning, they're similar to the troubles Pegula believes he addressed in hiring McDermott."

Did Pegula say anything about, when he handpicked Rex Ryan, effectively removing the discipline, structure and character from the team Whaley had built?

Real quick,it's easy from the outside looking in and seeing our overall record improve under weight, but a lot of timings things happened. i.e. Ladd was playing hurt to start the year started to pick it up right when cappy gor fired. Same with Lee who had like 1 goal in hi first 18, then picked it up around when cappy was fired.

They also finally called up ho sang and played beauvillier. Recalled Halak and won a bunch in a row.

Yet, still had way to many blowouts against and way to many important games where we didn't show up or had no plan of attack to adjust to what the other team was throwing at us. He was the PP coach under cappy which was absolutely awful this year and didn't change one bit once he became the intrem.

You are trying to keep John Tavares, go out and get a coach with some experience. Some clout. No more guys learning on the job.

First off, apologies to all for Isles/hockey comments in a Bills/football forum.

You make some good points about the turn-around, not buying into all of them but this isn't the forum to discuss. Thanks for the feedback. Go Ottawa :)

Im normally decent at reading between the lines on these reports and I dismissed the Whaley comments for awhile but they sure have lingered. I'm starting to take the debate seriously and think that even if he stays there is a split in the decision.

If you look back at the last couple years and you pay attention to who is being interviewed now and how things are being worded - It seems to me that the picture is very clear. I think McDermott is in charge of this draft. Rex was in charge of the last 2. Whaley has been and is even more so now - simply a high level advisor to Rex and McDermott.

I think Pegula had placed Rex in charge when he was here. I think McDermott is even more so in charge now than Rex even was. And that is the way Pegula intends to run things going forward indefinitely unless he changes his mind for some reason.

Watch McDermott speak and watch him choose his words. He is in charge. Pegula's mindset must be that the coach is more important than the GM.

It makes perfect sense of what has happened over the last couple years with personnel. It makes perfect sense with what we were told about the Rex firing. Whaley was never in charge of Rex in any way. And Whaley is in no way in charge of McDermott. In fact, Whaley serves McDermott. It all fits into place.

Edited by PolishDave

The Bills (with Brandon in the organization) have shown a tendency to become enamored with guys and never having a plan.

See extending Jauron after 4-0 in 2008

Falling head over heels with Syracuse's Coach and allowing a $4M buyout.

Russ telling Pegula don't let him leave and likes wine.

Now we're the buttoned down Buffalo Bills.

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

If you look back at the last couple years and you pay attention to who is being interviewed now and how things are being worded - It seems to me that the picture is very clear. I think McDermott is in charge of this draft. Rex was in charge of the last 2. Whaley has been and is even more so now - simply a high level advisor to Rex and McDermott.

I think Pegula had placed Rex in charge when he was here. I think McDermott is even more so in charge now than Rex even was. And that is the way Pegula intends to run things going forward indefinitely unless he changes his mind for some reason.

Watch McDermott speak and watch him choose his words. He is in charge. Pegula's mindset must be that the coach is more important than the GM.

It makes perfect sense of what has happened over the last couple years with personnel. It makes perfect sense with what we were told about the Rex firing. Whaley was never in charge of Rex in any way. And Whaley is in no way in charge of McDermott. In fact, Whaley serves McDermott. It all fits into place.

What makes perfect sense is that this team is going to suck for a very, very long time. Ugh.

What makes perfect sense is that this team is going to suck for a very, very long time. Ugh.

Perhaps. But we are battle hardened veterans in that regard.

March. March, March. March.

Think Memorial Day parade. We still have our pride.

In fact. We're talkin proud!

because you cant fire a gm who picks another dak or wilson or marino or kelly cough cough...

If they take Peterman rd to and he lights it up,he saves his job. Not taking a qb guarantees his demise. Unless cardale randomly becomes great

So they plan to fire Whaley in May, but he can foil their plan if he drafts a QB that "lights it up?" Like when? In OTAs?

I'll continue to say that if his leash was this short you fire him in january. Either you commit to him or you don't. You don't let a guy you don't believe in run the coaching search, free agency and the draft before moving on him

Only point I was trying to add to your original comments is that I don't think McD's time in front of the camera in lieu of Whaley says anything about a power struggle.

With that said, it would be a weird dynamic to bring in a new GM before the guy he didn't hire as a coach actually coached his first game. My guess is Whaley lasts past game 1.

I can't see Whaley getting fired in between the draft and the season. Pegula would get blasted by the media, and rightfully. Makes no sense to give him the draft right before you fire him. Sounds like journalists stirring the pot to me.

They did that with Modrak in 2011 (fired after draft) and Nix in 2013 (stepped down after the draft).

Which is kind of a conundrum, if you think about it - will they fix the franchise by repeating a pattern that might make no sense?

The roster is worse right now then when the season ended.

So if we draft 3 HOF, would this still hold true? Also, I disagree. The use of scheme can elevate a roster. For example, largely the same, if not, MORE talented group was much worse under Rex vs Schwartz.

https://youtu.be/IL8pUkcyiQA

This might be the best Doug Whaley interview/story of all time.