TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

Whaley is the current "whipping boy". He is being blamed for everything that is wrong or any perceived wrongs. Has he been perfect? No, but name one GM that has not made mistakes. The biggest mistake Whaley made was probably trading up for Watkins. And had Watkins stayed healthy he would be a star in the league and this would not be considered much of a mistake. He has drafted reasonably well and his free agent signings have been fantastic. He was not allowed to hire the last head coach (Ryan) who was a complete disaster. Had we hired a better coach we probably would have been in the playoffs with the talent we had on the roster. Give SM more power in seeing the big picture and setting organizational goals, I am good with that. But let Whaley and his staff continue to find the players.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter whether Whaley stays or goes if he's not in charge either way.

When has a first-time head coach controlling an organization without an empowered GM resulted in a Superbowl title? I find this concerning.

My prediction is in 3-4 years McDermott is shown the door, not because I don't believe in him but because I feel the Pegulas have set him up to fail. They have a lot of learning to do yet.

Edited by 2018 Our Year For Sure

I think it's the opposite. You don't fire the GM before the draft because of all the scouting work and getting the board ready. After the draft is actually the best time to make the change.

Gut feeling is that Whaley is out the door next week.

Yet teams almost always fire their GMs right after the season if they're gonna do it, or before the season even ends. You have to admit this would be very very unusual and questions would fly about Pegula's willingness to stick with a plan. He's already catching flak for firing Tim Murray and now he's going to fire his GM months after it should have already happened? I pray this doesn't happen and I don't think it will. Not even a big Whaley fan but that ship has sailed, he should finish this season. Edited by HappyDays

It doesn't matter whether Whaley stays or goes if he's not in charge either way.

When has a first-time head coach controlling an organization without an empowered GM resulted in a Superbowl title? I find this concerning.

My prediction is in 3-4 years McDermott is shown the door, not because I don't believe in him but because I feel the Pegulas have set him up to fail. They have a lot of learning to do yet.

Can you explain how, just 3 months into his tenure, McDermott is set up to fail?

So "the media" would blast Pegula for firing Whaley after the draft, yet "journalists" are "stirring the pot" by suggesting Pegula will fire Whaley after the draft.

This perfectly sums up the mentality of the posters who endlessly bash the local and national press.

Local media and national media are very different. And yeah local journalists would do both. This isn't new. Sullivan has been calling for Whaley to be fired, but you can still guarantee he will blast Pegula if he fires Whaley next week. I mean do you really not agree with that? Do you think next week he'd write an article praising the Pegulas for a decisive move? Come on man...

Yet teams almost always fire their GMs right after the season if they're gonna do it, or before the season even ends. You have to admit this would be very very unusual and questions would fly about Pegula's willingness to stick with a plan. He's already catching flak for firing Tim Murray and now he's going to fire his GM months after it should have already happened? I pray this doesn't happen and I don't think it will. Not even a big Whaley fan but that ship has sailed, he should finish this season.

The two best times to make a change at GM are immediately after the season, or right after the draft so the new GM can get his scouting staff together for the upcoming college season.

Who here thinks Jim Monos might be the next guy they tap?

The two best times to make a change at GM are immediately after the season, or right after the draft so the new GM can get his scouting staff together for the upcoming college season.

IF they moved on from Whaley, it should certainly be Monos. Unless McD has someone in mind from his time with previous organizations.

Monos would be the next guy inline if we hire from within no doubt. Yet have a feeling if Whaley's let go they'll go completely new.

It's my take that he's been given too much control for a rookie coach. You think otherwise, good for you, with all my heart I hope you're right.

You do realize that the narrative that McDermott has all this control comes from people here thinking that is the case? Officially, McDermott and Whaley work as a team, but that's too boring to believe.

McD says specifically that he and Whaley are working well together. But that's a lie to some.

McD is in charge according to some, but when the decision is made to not match on MG that is Whaley's fault.

I understand fan is short for fanatic, but some sense of rational and logical thought would be welcome here.

And they will completely ignore this and anything else that seems like logic because it doesn't fit their agenda. Like some weird law of attraction thing where if they just wish it hard enough and ignore all logic it's going to happen. McDermott clearly said he and Whaley work well together and Whaley is in charge of the 53 but somehow these people have taken that very simple statement to mean the complete opposite. What's changed since Whaley just got a new contract and most likely a raise and led the coaching search? If somewhere inside of your head you feel like everything Pegula and McDermott says is a lie but what Sal and Tim Graham says is true, you just may have WOD Whaley Obsession Disorder. I've been hearing Whaley is about to get fired just about every day since he got hired and he's still here as he should be.

Edited by Madd Charlie

To put this in perspective, if Pegula was to fire Whaley after the Draft at some point, but before the start of training camp (such as May some time), it wouldn't be completely far-fetched. Pegula obviously DEPENDS on a GM to make football decisions and all of the scouting and prepping and putting together the board has occurred from August of last year up to this point. So, while Monos could probably do the job, I would assume Pegula feels more comfortable giving the reins to Whaley to allow him to make the actual decisions on whom to Draft with McD in the room and having a say as well. It's essentially the safest way to insure the Draft doesn't completely go awry after all the hard work, time, and money put into selecting the future players for their team.

That said, I'm indifferent to the idea of Whaley staying or going....I think he's done enough to earn the benefit of this entire Off-season and let the first quarter to half of the season play out before making the final decision to either axe him or keep him for next season. However, if Pegulas keep him into next season, he needs to go before the end of the first half of the season so that the Draft board and FA targets can be done accordingly.

I can't imagine why his getting fired between the draft and the season wouldn't make complete sense.

The Pegulas might catch some fire for it, but not all that much. Whaley isn't especially popular. And they're not giving him the draft. The guy in power right now is clearly McDermott. Whaley is essentially the chief scout.

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

I don't think the bolded is true at all. McDermott is clearly the voice of the Bills right now and they haven't hidden from that. All that other crap about how McDermott is secretly running the show and has convinced Pegula that Whaley needs to go, is just rumors spread by local media. And frankly I don't believe these rumors. You saw it after Murray was fired, local journalists were even trying to connect that move to the McDermott hire. I personally think it's just media people connecting dots that don't exist, to create stories at a slow time of year. Pegula reads the news and must know there is a perception of him as a shoot first kind of owner. He knows that firing Whaley would put the Bills in the crosshairs of NFL media for the entire month of May when nothing else is going on. Maybe Pegula just doesn't care about that stuff but I think he does, and I find it hard to believe he's radically changed his mind in just a couple months.

You do realize that the narrative that McDermott has all this control comes from people here thinking that is the case? Officially, McDermott and Whaley work as a team, but that's too boring to believe.

Inevitably there will be disagreement. I've seen Pegula discuss the process of making the 1st round pick with my own eyes, I don't need anyone else's narrative. Go ahead and disagree, I'd expect nothing less of you brother.

When have other teams ever fired their GM right after the draft? We did it in 2011 with Modrak. I can't think of other times it's happened, definitely not in recent memory.

Inevitably there will be disagreement. I've seen Pegula discuss the process of making the 1st round pick with my own eyes, I don't need anyone else's narrative. Go ahead and disagree, I'd expect nothing less of you brother.

:doh: (Don't bring facts into this discussion. I've made my mind up.)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Sorry, but the Pegulas would make themselves out as fools if they fire Whaley after the draft. Proper protocol is to fire the GM after the season, and then fire the scouts the Monday after the draft. What you don't do, is let your GM lead a head coaching search, and then fire them a few months later. Any serious GM candidate is going to resent not being able to hire their own guy.

Firing Whaley now is broadcasting to the rest of the NFL that you are ****ty owners.