TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

So if we draft 3 HOF, would this still hold true? Also, I disagree. The use of scheme can elevate a roster. For example, largely the same, if not, MORE talented group was much worse under Rex vs Schwartz.

https://youtu.be/IL8pUkcyiQA

This might be the best Doug Whaley interview/story of all time.

when is the last time 3 hofers were drafted by the same team in one year with seven picks?

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So they plan to fire Whaley in May, but he can foil their plan if he drafts a QB that "lights it up?" Like when? In OTAs?

i dont think they will fire him. Its contigent on this season and finding a qb.

when is the last time 3 hofers were drafted by the same team in one year with seven picks?

72 steelers. 85 bills i think

I think a couple other teams

Its because hes in check mate. Hes forced to take qb now at ten. Its the only way to save his job. Fo knows this and thats not a sound draft strategy. ( WHICH IS WHY TERRY YOU SHOULDVE FIRED HIM MONTHS AGO).

Its embarassing that our fo cannot think this stuff through

That doesn't make any sense. He's not forced to take a QB at 10. Why would he take a player at 10 that won't play? He needs the team to win. He's taking a player who can contribute if anything.

Since McD was hired I've gotten the impression that he's in total control of what's going on at OBD. It feels like Whaley is on borrowed time at this point and McD will fill his role with someone else. Just a matter of time and I look forward to that day.

He is??? Monday afternoon, all I heard was Whaley should go because he let the Patriots get TD Mike, etc. etc., even though McDermott was in the building when the 5th round tender was put on him. So i'm confused. Whaley is in charge when something happens fans don't like. But if it's something fans like then McDermott is in charge? Is that right?

I find it interesting that most here don't believe McDermot when he says him and Doug will make decisions together. I am sure ultimately you have somoene with final say but I can see where decisions would be made in harmony, i run a small business with someone that reports to me but we make 99% of decisions as a team after dicsussing them.

well , well ,well, another Timmy hatchet job . The Buffalo news reminds me a pack of lions who wait for one of its prey to separate from the flock then the pounce. They are more devious then animals however. I they pick the person , pound away in attempt to turn public opinion , usually with fake news. Then they attack and attack and attack. Look at the recent history. Marrone, the Ryan, now Whaley, it will be overdorf or Russ next. They also take shots at the Peluga's but temper their criticism knowing that if the Pegs get feed up and Bail the teams will leave Buffalo asap to the highest bidder

That doesn't make any sense. He's not forced to take a QB at 10. Why would he take a player at 10 that won't play? He needs the team to win. He's taking a player who can contribute if anything.

He is??? Monday afternoon, all I heard was Whaley should go because he let the Patriots get TD Mike, etc. etc., even though McDermott was in the building when the 5th round tender was put on him. So i'm confused. Whaley is in charge when something happens fans don't like. But if it's something fans like then McDermott is in charge? Is that right?

Of course it makes sense. Who said he wont play. Why do you think tt contract changed?? Whaley and everyone knows hes toast unless the team wins. Hes not winning with tt...

Whaley is in check mate. His only hope is getting a dak type qb...

If not hes fired. And if he doesnt even give himself a chance by not takin a qb. ( plus hes toast if he paases on these qbs and a couple become really good or worse they all becime good, the top 4

So not many times in ones life that three HOFers are selected out of seven draft picks ones draft but a poster here referenced that??

There were 12 rounds back then, the Bills had 16! picks in 1985, and picked 2 HOFers. For every Bruce and Andre, there were more Glenn Jones, Mike Hamby, Jimmy Teal, and Mark Traynowicz.

ha! great point!

If true more dysfunction for a dysfunctional organization. Let the rookie coach hire the GM :wacko:

+1

The local media has continued to drive the narrative (due to being shunned by the FO, imo) to incite "some" fans to want blood and someone has to pay...but change for the sake of the masses only exacerbates the dysfunction!

McD is the shiny new toy with all the fan filled excitement, how long will it last? I'll try to enjoy it...It won't be long before he is perceived as the egotistical forced that can't work with anyone and becomes the next man up for the slaughter! #groundhogday :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

If the Buffalo media who never break a Bills story report it, it must be true.

lmao . it is so true. They are going rouge again

Is that when Whaley is supposed to be fired?

according the Buffalo news he will be fired immediately the draft before udfa action starts, or at the end of 2017, or , or , or

Other sources are claiming the same thing. Mcdermott is a fresh, new hire who may work out well. whaley's act is stale and he needs to be dismissed of his GM duties, whatever they are now.

Ok so a first-time head coach who has not even had a training camp much less won a single game in the NFL is running the draft, hiring the next GM, and basically made everyone else in the organization expendable. Not to mention his great posture in his office chair or something caused Pegula to shred the 4-year extension that Whaley just signed in January. How good of a talker do you have to be to accomplish all that in what two months? Even if it was possible that that was true, McDermott would be completely set up for failure because he is automatically the new target and fall guy for all the whiners to point their finger at if it's not a perfect draft perfect season or close, and whomever he suggest to be the next GM is not noticeably better than Whaley day one. Who is the source that's what I want to know? WNY media has known absolutely nothing for like 2 years now all of a sudden they have all this exclusive info? Guess who would have even more pressure than Mcdermott if any of this is true, Pegula! You just fired the Sabres GM after another failed year and then you fire Whaley to make room for your rookie head coach to be the most powerful person in the franchise before he has even won 1 single game. It better go absolutely perfect or it's one of the biggest disasters in Buffalo sports history. I see no reason whatsoever anyone involved would want to take those type of risks right now. Doesn't pass the smell test for me.

the ignorance at that paper is amazing. Pegs fires a Gm after 4 years and the team is regressing plus the star player is not happy. which to them translate into plus you have to fire Whaley . what ????????

;

Monday afternoon, all I heard was Whaley should go because he let the Patriots get TD Mike, etc. etc., even though McDermott was in the building when the 5th round tender was put on him. So i'm confused. Whaley is in charge when something happens fans don't like. But if it's something fans like then McDermott is in charge? Is that right?

FWIW.......last season would have been a good time to get MG extended.

This is all coming from TGs article on Russ

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 10h10 hours ago

Old Russ: Involved in football decisions more than you knew. Current Russ: Not as involved as you think.

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 54m54 minutes ago

And things have changed/are changing. Once Whaley is gone, Brandon's last link to what happens on the field will be, too.

peep show @BuffaloWins

I don't think Russ is picking players anymore, but hard to convince me he's not a sounding board for Pegula w/ hiring GMs and coaches

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 25m25 minutes ago

McDermott essentially will hire the next GM

Brad Smith @Bsmithizzle

Is it a foregone conclusion Whaley is gone after the draft? Feels like it

Tim GrahamVerified account @ByTimGraham 14m14 minutes ago

I'd been hearing he'd get the 2017 season, but abrupt Sabres moves have changed the mood. I wouldn't be surprised either way

Edit:

John WawrowVerified account @john_wawrow 2m2 minutes ago

And to add to ongoing discussion regarding Whaley's diminishing power, this moved on The AP wire a few hours ago.

http://pro32.ap.org/article/rookie-coach-mcdermotts-voice-gains-prominence-bills

"Don't underestimate the impact Bills rookie coach Sean McDermott has already made on Terry Pegula.

When Buffalo's multi-franchise owner outlined concerns of discipline, structure and character he found lacking in his NHL's Sabres following last week's front-office house-cleaning, they're similar to the troubles Pegula believes he addressed in hiring McDermott."

so Pegs likes what McDermott brings to the table , great. anything inferred from them is highly speculative . starting to wonder what Whaley did to the Buffalo media this is a crusade

so Pegs likes what McDermott brings to the table , great. anything inferred from them is highly speculative . starting to wonder what Whaley did to the Buffalo media this is a crusade

He doesn't make himself available enough to media. For that he must pay.

Its because hes in check mate. Hes forced to take qb now at ten. Its the only way to save his job. Fo knows this and thats not a sound draft strategy. ( WHICH IS WHY TERRY YOU SHOULDVE FIRED HIM MONTHS AGO).

Its embarassing that our fo cannot think this stuff through

He's forced to take a QB at 10 now...?

Funny, that's not what I got out of it.

Thursday will be interesting...

The concern is that Terry Pegula is gullible wrt his sporting hires. Doesn't have a grasp on what he should be looking for and takes people far too much at face value in a fake-it-til-you-make-it business. The McDermott hire has the feel of just settling quickly on a certain, contrasting personality type to the one that he mistakenly hired last time. Not sure McDermott has the chops as a coach......he's not the first of his kind here......see Jauron, Dick.

The concern is that Terry Pegula is gullible wrt his sporting hires. Doesn't have a grasp on what he should be looking for and takes people far too much at face value in a fake-it-til-you-make-it business. The McDermott hire has the feel of just settling quickly on a certain, contrasting personality type to the one that he mistakenly hired last time. Not sure McDermott has the chops as a coach......he's not the first of his kind here......see Jauron, Dick.

This is very well said...

You could also say the pendulum of personalities swung dramatically from Dougie to Rex and now to McDermott. Right now McDermott has a benefit of the doubt from most of the fan base since he is unknown. We will quickly see how he is...

Not cleaning house on black Monday was a big swing and miss for us...

Edited by Reed83HOF

I can't see Whaley getting fired in between the draft and the season. Pegula would get blasted by the media, and rightfully. Makes no sense to give him the draft right before you fire him. Sounds like journalists stirring the pot to me.

I can't imagine why his getting fired between the draft and the season wouldn't make complete sense.

The Pegulas might catch some fire for it, but not all that much. Whaley isn't especially popular. And they're not giving him the draft. The guy in power right now is clearly McDermott. Whaley is essentially the chief scout.

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest.

Agreed that we're waiting to see about McDermott. It'd be that way with anyone, though, really. He's got to prove himself.

The word seems to be that he's doing a good job setting the tone over there, working like a dog, and organizing things well backstage. That's a great start, but yeah, still got a ton to prove.

He doesn't make himself available enough to media. For that he must pay.

That's not the problem. The problem is being unsuccessful and not making himself available to explain.

If he'd produced good teams people wouldn't mind that he isn't speaking.

the ignorance at that paper is amazing. Pegs fires a Gm after 4 years and the team is regressing plus the star player is not happy. which to them translate into plus you have to fire Whaley . what ????????

Yeah, that's what makes those dang reporters think that Whaley should maybe be gone. Some stuff on the hockey team and some other stuff.

Not hiring Rex and before him, Dougie. Not producing teams that have produced gradually worse records as his players have filled the roster. No, no, it's the other stuff. Dang those journalists.

If the paper had actually said that the problem with Whaley was that Pegs had fired some Sabres and that the star player is not happy (What? Who? What are you talking about?), you'd really have something to complain about. But that's not what they said.

Edited by Thurman#1

For Rico:

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/25/jerry-sullivan-yet-another-critical-draft-bills/

McDermott acts like a man who expects to win right away, to impose his football genius on an unsuspecting NFL. He's counting on his discipline and preparation to overcome a thin, depleted roster, same as old Gregg Williams did before going 3-13 in his debut in 2001.

The NFL is a harsh business. It can bring the eager and naive to their knees very quickly. McDermott will find out soon enough what it's like to inherit a team in decline. But his ego tells him he can make a run. That's why he decided to keep Tyrod Taylor as his starting quarterback.

That would be a dangerous play, typical of the short-sighted, inconsistent thinking that has plagued Pegula's franchises. If the Bills were honest about their plight, they would have moved on from Taylor, acknowledged they weren't a contender, and given a full commitment to getting a QB

Sure, good ones fall through the draft. The Bills have sat and watched several slide right by them. They're the last team I would trust to identify the next Russell Wilson or Dak Prescott. These are the same people who saw Manuel as a franchise guy and picked Cardale Jones last year.

McDermott might have other ideas. Despite his contention that the picks will be made by consensus, it looks like he'll have the final say. They won't let Whaley and his scouts talk, so what does that tell you?