TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

There is a reason why head coaches don't have complete control in the NFL and that is head coaches base there decisions on the next two seasons, only there time as head coach, sadly for them head coaches most likely have a short term. A GM most times gets a few staffs to prove they are good at there jobs, they have to look past the current staff and looks to hire a staff to use his players so if it dont work out the next staff comes in. Good luck finding a GM that wants to be told how to do his job. A GM that is a yes man to the HC will most of the time become a total fail in the NFL.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a reason why head coaches don't have complete control in the NFL and that is head coaches base there decisions on the next two seasons, only there time as head coach, sadly for them head coaches most likely have a short term. A GM most times gets a few staffs to prove they are good at there jobs, they have to look past the current staff and looks to hire a staff to use his players so if it dont work out the next staff comes in. Good luck finding a GM that wants to be told how to do his job. A GM that is a yes man to the HC will most of the time become a total fail in the NFL.

Correct. The next GM will not be a real GM but just another errand boy playing fetch with Sean.

I agree about having a strong GM. But many here are enamoredwith Parcells from years back. Remember wanting to buy the groceries if you're the cook?

You need a front office and GM in synchrony.

I agree about having a strong GM. But many here are enamoredwith Parcells from years back. Remember wanting to buy the groceries if you're the cook?

And McDermott hasn't earned the right to be a Parcells.

Front office and HC, I meant.

And McDermott hasn't earned the right to be a Parcells.

And Parcells two SB titles were with a strong GM in George Young

Who cares? You're arguing hypotheticals.

i mean, its not that out there that they would differ in opinion. If not discussing things like what happens when a GM and coach disagree on a few topics, i dont know what this board should be for.

When have other teams ever fired their GM right after the draft? We did it in 2011 with Modrak. I can't think of other times it's happened, definitely not in recent memory.

He was not GM; he was VP of College Scouting #fakenews

A yes man for a rookie head coach. SMH at the Pegs if this happens.

The word is that the Bills coaching and mgmt believes this is a playoff team, a contender. That's why they plan on passing on QB's. They are hitching their careers to TT.

Edited by jeffismagic

The word is that the Bills coaching and mgmt believes this is a playoff team, a contender. That's why they plan on passing on QB's. They are hitching their careers to TT.

The team who has folded year in and year out when it comes time for a playoff push. This is exactly why it will be a rinse an repeat 3 years from now, an aging roster with mostly mediocre talent. With no long term plan to build a contender. Create holes & fill those holes; it would be nice to draft BPA and get better players in positions that aren't gaping holes in our roster (upgrades vs. oh crap we don't have enough WRs, CBs, LBs)...

Edited by Reed83HOF

The word is that the Bills coaching and mgmt believes this is a playoff team, a contender. That's why they plan on passing on QB's. They are hitching their fates to TT.

SMH, win now mode doesn't work it's why this team continues its streak.

2017 better be fabulous or 2018 they all will be dead man walking. Fans will jump ship fast on this staff with this long playoffless drought. Its a tough schedule they want it all on one season shows a rookie head coach is about to get a rude awakening, tough to win in the NFL.

Maybe it's a good thing, if they fail hard they can start from scratch in 2019 the new GM will build this team with a staff looking past one season while knowing it's a QB driven league. Good GMs know a team won't drive far with another teams backup QB leading the way. Sadly when I seen Tyrod resigned I knew it was going to be a long tough 2 seasons, back to the Chan days of a hard headed head coach in love with a backup QB. Sadly this playoffless streak could be another 5-6 years.

There is no doubt that Rex was an albatross and weighed Whaley down. That's unfortunate but the owner gave him half a rope and kept him on the job after firing the clown coach because he knew that he handcuffed the franchise with his weird hiring.

But regarding the highlighted segment of your comments you in essence fairly described the overview of his tenure. There is little to distinguish it. The Bills overall roster is mediocre at best. DW has been subjected to a lot of staff churning that wasn't his fault that forced him to reset his roster. But what is his fault is that his body of work is a reflection of where the team is i.e. stuck in the middle of the pack with no quick solutions to breaking out of that morass of mediocrity.

It's apparent to me that the owner has shifted the power balance in the organization. The HC now has more authority than the GM. The GM has lost influence not because of any bias against him. He lost influence with the owner because his work in general lacked the production that would have enhanced his influence.

The owner doesn't possess much guile. He is plain spoken and his verbiage isn't flowery. His comments at the press conference he gave for the Sabres describing why he fired staff also apply to the football operation. To put it mildly Whaley is in a precarious position.

yes. Agree fully. And in any other world if this was us we would be looking for a new job

Very true. Firing Whaley right after the draft would be unprecedented and shocking.

I don't know about shocking this team has been a joke for a long time but yes giving a first year head coach that much power is unprecedent.

In my opinion they need to let Whaley be a GM with this staff, if things dont start to look better these next two seasons then start from scratch in 2019 with a top GM hired that brings in his guys, it's how a very good team is built. Team needs structure you can't have the workers telling the bosses what to do. Its anarchy

Edited by xRUSHx

To be fair to Doug , someone is finding good players outside the draft.

He drafted players to fit Rex 3-4 D

He will draft players to fit McD 4-3 D

Finding a franchise QB out of college spread offense is very difficult to say the least.

Trading up for Sammy was a dumb move imo

The only really sad thing about Whaley going would be that he would actually be an excellent director of pro player personnel. The only guy who is completely devoid of talent is Overdorf; PLEASE can we fire that clown, PLEASE.

Very true. Firing Whaley right after the draft would be unprecedented and shocking.

I was just playing around btw - not being pissy :thumbsup:

GMs who leave after the draft generally resign/retire. A team owner canning a GM right after the draft is a bit unprecedented; it usually happens December - January. It would also cast another dark mark on this franchise and we would be crucified as having owners that were indecisive and make poor decision after poor decision. Whaley is here until the end of the season imo...