TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet teams almost always fire their GMs right after the season if they're gonna do it, or before the season even ends. You have to admit this would be very very unusual and questions would fly about Pegula's willingness to stick with a plan. He's already catching flak for firing Tim Murray and now he's going to fire his GM months after it should have already happened? I pray this doesn't happen and I don't think it will. Not even a big Whaley fan but that ship has sailed, he should finish this season.

Our last GM was gone right after his last draft.

Nobody inside or outside the organization denied this. Both the coach & GM reported to the owner. Whaley is not Rex's & McD's boss. And since that's the case, the only rationale for firing Whaley is that the organization no longer trusts his personnel acumen.

As I've said before, analyzing a scout's performance is easy - compare his draft board from last three years to what the players accomplished. There may be many circumstances on why a team didn't get the guy it wanted, but you also know what player the personnel director was pounding the table for.

what does both report to the owner??? Tp is drafting players??? 😯

i am not sure i really am ready to hang whaley yet.

he was handcuffed to rex ryan. the whaley we see did not seem like someone who was on board the ryan train. i think he just agreed to not go against the grain if he agreed at all.

he was stuck with a roster that wasn't great and lacked a lot of talented positions. he got in over his head in a few places thanks to personnel issues created by rex but all in all, he's not sucked. he's just had a difficult time.

There is no doubt that Rex was an albatross and weighed Whaley down. That's unfortunate but the owner gave him half a rope and kept him on the job after firing the clown coach because he knew that he handcuffed the franchise with his weird hiring.

But regarding the highlighted segment of your comments you in essence fairly described the overview of his tenure. There is little to distinguish it. The Bills overall roster is mediocre at best. DW has been subjected to a lot of staff churning that wasn't his fault that forced him to reset his roster. But what is his fault is that his body of work is a reflection of where the team is i.e. stuck in the middle of the pack with no quick solutions to breaking out of that morass of mediocrity.

It's apparent to me that the owner has shifted the power balance in the organization. The HC now has more authority than the GM. The GM has lost influence not because of any bias against him. He lost influence with the owner because his work in general lacked the production that would have enhanced his influence.

The owner doesn't possess much guile. He is plain spoken and his verbiage isn't flowery. His comments at the press conference he gave for the Sabres describing why he fired staff also apply to the football operation. To put it mildly Whaley is in a precarious position.

I just look for that ray of sunshine through the dark clouds, no right or wrong. just willing to allow some time pass before bringing out the pitchforks and torches.

lets hope we all will be celebrating, even those who have been highly adamant in their negative views.

bit-thumbsup.gif

I appreciate that attitude. Reach for the light.

If a Lombardi goes to WNY I'm scrambling up there for the parade and hold me to this please, drinks are on me my dude!

Its HIGHLY likely hes not in charge of anything except scouting.

Which I heard Whaley said is what he wants. I thought it was weird when he said that before last season. Whaley doesn't like everything that goes with being a GM.

It's possible he falls into the role of head scout. On the other hand Jim Monos is a guy IMO would be a great GM. Has a bright future. Hopefully he sticks around if a new GM is brought in. I doubt they would make Monos GM, although he deserves it.

you obviously know that you have no 4th round pick. why would you not have tendered mg a 4th? i don't get it.

The lack of forward thinking by the gm sometimes baffles me.

Maybe the fact that there is no such thing as a 4th round tender baffles you as well? The choices are 1st, 2nd or original draft. (MG was drafted in the 5th.) Edited by PromoTheRobot

Our last GM was gone right after his last draft.

But can you name a GM fired after the draft? Modrak in 2011 is the only one I can think of and the 2011 Bills weren't exactly leading the way on best practices. I get it if you don't like Whaley, I really do. But firing him right after the draft would be as dysfunctional as anything the Bills have done during the drought. IMO he should have been gone with Rex but it's too late for that now.