TG on Whaley & McD sounds to be in charge update

I actually think we are only 2 great drafts from being competitive. That's why I spend so much energy discussing this. This draft is critical (yes, I know people always say that). But I really believe this could set us up for playoffs or send us down in to a worse place than where we are.

This place should be fun in 48 hours.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that Bylsma was a worse hockey coach than Rex was a football coach. That's pretty bad.

I want Sheldon Keefe coaching the Sabres. Young, smart. Will run and gun. You can go to games and not fall asleep!

I honestly think Travis Green would have been a very good hire for you guys. However, pesky canucks snagged him.

Hey, could be better than having Doug Weight and Garth Snow like I do.

I honestly think Travis Green would have been a very good hire for you guys. However, pesky canucks snagged him.

Sounds like Pegulas have Toronto envy. They now want to hire a GM who is "progressive". I like that idea let's see what that entails.

Unless last year's draft pays off handsomely.

And if they draft well this year.

Don't you guys take that into consideration?

The roster is looking a bit bare (we are weaker than last year) and it ages each year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

We have 7 picks this year and that isn't much. We did have a small window with the D when Marrone was here and through Rexy. That window is pretty darn small right now...

I actually think we are only 2 great drafts from being competitive. That's why I spend so much energy discussing this. This draft is critical (yes, I know people always say that). But I really believe this could set us up for playoffs or send us down in to a worse place than where we are.

We need a QB, to fill a few current holes and replace the aging vets. We would also have to be really strong in FA and how we set up contracts as well. I am only confident in Doug's(and our teams) ability to find FAs...

Well, Sal M last night said on the radio that he has a hunch Whaley will be gone. Could be something to all this.

That's right too; I forgot about that...

it is asinine to fire him after the draft...

Monos has been pretty involved this offseason and was on the Philly staff with McD. Possibly a promotion from within?

I like him and I think he might be a good GM one day, but I would rather get another outsider in this place...

Overdorff needs to go to.

Edited by Reed83HOF

The roster is looking a bit bare (we are weaker than last year) and it ages each year.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/2018/

We have 7 picks this year and that isn't much. We did have a small window with the D when Marrone was here and through Rexy. That window is pretty darn small right now...

We need a QB, to fill a few current holes and replace the aging vets. We would also have to be really strong in FA and how we set up contracts as well. I am only confident in Doug's(and our teams) ability to find FAs...

I think Nix and Whaley moved this team from punching bag to near playoffs. But the window for the D they built has closed and we need to replenish. We won't know what Whaley was doing recently but I suspect Rex had too much power in the draft room and that's why we are on the way down.

I know its not an Isles thread, but I can't let that last comment go without asking what Weight did wrong as interim coach?

I'll continue to say that if his leash was this short you fire him in january. Either you commit to him or you don't. You don't let a guy you don't believe in run the coaching search, free agency and the draft before moving on him

Actually if you do plan to fire your GM, you do it after the draft. May is the start of a GMs year. The draft is the culmination of the year. Firing Whaley now, two days before the draft, would be the dumbest, Billsiest act ever. Whaley would just take our draft board and share it with every team in the NFL.

But what do I know? I'm just a Bills apologist.

I'll continue to say that if his leash was this short you fire him in january. Either you commit to him or you don't. You don't let a guy you don't believe in run the coaching search, free agency and the draft before moving on him

Wouldnt they essentially have to hire someone to scout and be a gm then? And if so isnt there clauses in scouts and gms contracts that deny them employment opportunities by other clubs when they are working on the draft/draftboards for their current team? And if those two answers are yes, who would be left? Promote from within or higher someone thats fired, or a relative unknown as new owners? Edited by Bill_with_it

Actually if you do plan to fire your GM, you do it after the draft. May is the start of a GMs year. The draft is the culmination of the year. Firing Whaley now, two days before the draft, would be the dumbest, Billsiest act ever. Whaley would just take our draft board and share it with every team in the NFL.

But what do I know? I'm just a Bills apologist.

No you fire him in December/january with Rex and bring in a new team.

Firing him today would obviously be essentially impossible but if your already there you probably should've done it months ago

Wouldnt they essentially have to hire someone to scout and be a gm then?

And if so isnt there clauses in scouts and gms contracts that deny them employment opportunities by other clubs when they are working on the draft/draftboards for their current team? And if those two answers are yes, who would be left? Promote from within or higher someon thats fired, or a relative unknown as new owners?

Yea, if you fire the GM you'd have to hire a new GM... and that guy would probably keep many scouts through spring while bringing some of his own but the guy would then own the offseason decisions instead of inheriting a team already built by a guy you are firing for not being able to build a team.

with this organization nothing suprises me.

They fired polian dude. Like wtf

actually thts true. Only makes sense to keep him head of scouting. Honestly why cant we just get a clear hierarchy on personnel decisions. This isnt the cia

no, they didn't fire Polian. RIP the man who did, but he hasn't run the team for a long time. The others are Jerry Richardson and Jim Irsay.