Could Derek Barnett wind up being the sleeper pick of them a

njbuff

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Barnett is what we wish Lawson would become, I'm afraid the pick would be to redundant for GM on a slippery slope.

I could see it now as the main staple in the argument against the pick. Going from selecting 1st round CB every few years to DE/OLB every few years.

I could see it now as the main staple in the argument against the pick. Going from selecting 1st round CB every few years to DE/OLB every few years.

I can't speak for an entire fanbase but I certainly wouldn't be upset with it. I could see why they wouldn't do it though.

Drafting a WR with the 10th overall pick is also an admission of failure...and once again I wouldn't hate it. If it's Corey Davis.

Whaley and company have failed but if they are here to stay I'm ok with accepting that and moving forward and not doing stupid things just because they screwed them up previously.

I can't speak for an entire fanbase but I certainly wouldn't be upset with it. I could see why they wouldn't do it though.

Drafting a WR with the 10th overall pick is also an admission of failure...and once again I wouldn't hate it. If it's Corey Davis.

Whaley and company have failed but if they are here to stay I'm ok with accepting that and moving forward and not doing stupid things just because they screwed them up previously.

I do not see it as an admission of failure. Can go several ways with the pick being a WR at 10. Do you think the GM of the Texans feels selecting Will Fuller in the first round while having DeAndre Hopkins is a form of admission to failing?

I just see it as adding more ammo for Tyrod or whomever the QB is going forward in the future, which would mean no excuses. Replacing Robert Woods with a Corey Davis, Zay Jones(late 1st if we trade back into the late 20s or 2nd round), or Mike Williams isn't a failure, won't know for sure until the season starts but it isn't a bad idea.

Edited by Captain Murica

I do not see it as an admission of failure. Can go several ways with the pick being a WR at 10. Do you think the GM of the Texans feels selecting Will Fuller in the first round while having DeAndre Hopkins is a form of admission to failing?

I just think that's a different situation entirely. They didn't trade up for Hopkins. He was drafted much later than our scheduled first round pick, he was taken 27th. The Bills invested a ton in Sammy Watkins.

The Texans also boast a playoff caliber defense and a team largely limited solely by their QB. I would argue the Bills are one of the five worst teams talent/cap wise heading into 17'.

Edited by Commonsense

In a day in age where teams are spreading the ball all over the field with spread formations- you think adding another elite weapon would be a failure?

I mean off the top of my head,

Boldin- Still drafted Fitz

Jackson- Still drafted Maclin

White- Still drafted Julio

Harrison- Still drafted Wayne

I mean, let's not act like we would be the first team to add a first round WR whIle having a top flight guy already at the position.

It's not a bad idea because Sammy has been injured one way or another for the majority of his career. Sure, he has suited up on Sunday's but how many full weeks of practice

has he had?

If the value is there at 10 it would be tempting to select a

WR and have an alternate plan.

In a day in age where teams are spreading the ball all over the field with spread formations- you think adding another elite weapon would be a failure?

I mean off the top of my head,

Boldin- Still drafted Fitz

Jackson- Still drafted Maclin

White- Still drafted Julio

Harrison- Still drafted Wayne

I mean, let's not act like we would be the first team to add a first round WR whIle having a top flight guy already at the position.

It would be 3 out of the last 4 1st round picks going to the WR position. That is going to get Lions mentions. Sure those guys sucked but if the Bills go WR at 10 that means Watkins wasn't able to produce as expected.

A WR as good as Sammy should only need complimentary

pieces in the passing game. Another first round WR and the highest paid guaranteed contract to a TE? How bad

does TT suck? Or is it Watkins injury history?

It's not a bad idea because Sammy has been injured one way or another for the majority of his career. Sure, he has suited up on Sunday's but how many full weeks of practice

has he had?

If the value is there at 10 it would be tempting to select a

WR and have an alternate plan.

It would be 3 out of the last 4 1st round picks going to the WR position. That is going to get Lions mentions. Sure those guys sucked but if the Bills go WR at 10 that means Watkins wasn't able to produce as expected.

A WR as good as Sammy should only need complimentary

pieces in the passing game. Another first round WR and the highest paid guaranteed contract to a TE? How bad

does TT suck? Or is it Watkins injury history?

I understand the line of thinking because we traded an additional first while swapping first round picks with the Browns. However, that isn't the same as taking WR year after year.

Especially considering we lost a former second rounder to a handsome payday from the Rams.

Pointing out Sammy injury history lends it self even more towards possibly needing another legit passing option.

Not for nothing, surrounding your team with BPA will always workout more than drafting for need, especially when you can have multiple of that position on the field at once.

That's why it would be justified taking another edge despite taking Shaq last year. You have multiple fronts we can utilize and you can never have enough guys getting after the QB.

More or less, you have to take BPA.

Edited by BillsFan17

I understand the line of thinking because we traded an additional first while swapping first round picks with the Browns. However, that isn't the same as taking WR year after year.

Especially considering we lost a former second rounder to a handsome payday from the Rams.

Pointing out Sammy injury history lends it self even more towards possibly needing another legit passing option.

Not for nothing, surrounding your team with BPA will always workout more than drafting for need, especially when you can have multiple of that position on the field at once.

That's fine, but I have a hard time believing a GM who tells me Lawson/Ragland were 1 and 2 on his wish list.

What Woods got from the Rams is in line with what teams are willing to pay for WR2 in FA. See Sanu etc. I don't like that price tag and a team like the Bills can find good value in the draft. I was begging for Boyd in the second last year and mentioned many times that Woods wouldn't get paid here.

This draft isn't even as important to me, the Bills are transitioning again and they have to many holes to fill.

I hope they swing for the fences with an early QB. Whaley doesn't have enough wiggle room to draft true BPA and have a long term approach. Which is why I wanted him gone.

Edited by Commonsense

Its not a sleeper pick. He could be the most talented pure passrusher along with reddick.

You can never have enough big time pass rushers.

The 07 giants were a ball control team tht had a devastating front four as far as a pass rush.

In theory if u dont have a franchise qb, get after the qb then...

That's fine, but I have a hard time believing a GM who tells me Lawson/Ragland were 1 and 2 on his wish list.

What Woods got from the Rams is in line with what teams are willing to pay for WR2 in FA. See Sanu etc. I don't like that price tag and a team like the Bills can find good value in the draft. I was begging for Boyd in the second last year and mentioned many times that Woods wouldn't get paid here.

This draft isn't even as important to me, the Bills are transitioning again and they have to many holes to fill.

I hope they swing for the fences with an early QB. Whaley doesn't have enough wiggle room to draft true BPA and have a long term approach. Which is why I wanted him gone.

You hate Whaley. Whatever we do, you will have a problem with because Whaley had Lawson and Ragland 1-2 on his wish list. End of story. No reasons for you to comment on any draft until Whaley is fired. Anything we do must suck because Whaley told us he had Lawson and Ragland 1-2 on his wish list. We get it. Go sulk in the corner until Whaley is fired

You don't think Barnett is top 10 talent? He outplayed Garrett this year and had 10 or more sacks every year he played.

This pass rush class is Myles Garrett and a bunch of other dudes. I wouldn't touch another edge guy after Myles until the 20's at the earliest and wouldn't touch Barnett/Watt/McKinley/Lawson/Taco until the 2nd.

Shaq would be DE2 in this class.

Barnett is the 9th best player on my board. I really like him. Think he will be a productive pass rusher in the NFL. His all round game can still improve but I love his pass rush ability. I would not be at all sad if the Bills picked him at #10, though going by Leroi's list he is not one of their targets.

This pass rush class is Myles Garrett and a bunch of other dudes. I wouldn't touch another edge guy after Myles until the 20's at the earliest and wouldn't touch Barnett/Watt/McKinley/Lawson/Taco until the 2nd.

Shaq would be DE2 in this class.

i have no clue what tape you're watching

You absolutely can never have enough guys to get to the QB. This is exactly how the Giants were able to beat the Pats twice in the SB.

great point. Tommy really doesn't like to get roughed up .

You hate Whaley. Whatever we do, you will have a problem with because Whaley had Lawson and Ragland 1-2 on his wish list. End of story. No reasons for you to comment on any draft until Whaley is fired. Anything we do must suck because Whaley told us he had Lawson and Ragland 1-2 on his wish list. We get it. Go sulk in the corner until Whaley is fired

yes

Wow - after reading more about him - he could make sense for us.

He was pumped up in this link too:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/draft-10-prospects-were-higher-on-than-most/

Dallas really wants him so could see us trading down with them but if we keep him as one of Coach's shiny new toys - its good with me.

i have no clue what tape you're watching

lol I was thinking the same exact thing.

He might have him confused with another player.

As Kirby said, Barnett doesn't have the requisite physical attributes associated with being a top-flight pass rusher. Only guy outside of Garrett that possesses enough athletic traits while having the technical proficiency to be worthy of a 1st round selection is Solomon Thomas.

Edited by Blokestradamus

As Kirby said, Barnett doesn't have the requisite physical attributes associated with being a top-flight pass rusher. Only guy outside of Garnett that possesses enough athletic traits while having the technical proficiency to be worthy of a 1st round selection is Solomon Thomas.

Thomas could fall to 10 and make the Bills think hard. I continue to believe that SF has been smokescreening and likes Trubinsky (he's a Cousins clone). If SF passes on Thomas he could fall to us. He's not a position of glaring need but how do you pass up a player like him (or Allen for that matter)? You can't have too many impact defensive linemen IMO.