RIP Tom Modrak

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I enjoyed his pressers come draft time. Always seemed knowledgable and unlike Whaley I thought he had really good communication skills. Must've been from western PA, too, if I had to guess. He Had that twang/accent when he spoke, similar to Tom Donahoe.

RIP brother

At one time he was an extraordinary personnel man.....one of the league's best GM's......but his job in Buffalo was basically a high paying part-time gig for him.

Donahoe cushioned his fall when Modrak unexpectedly lost a power struggle, and his GM job, in Philly.

Then he got Ralph to up the ante the following offseason saying that Ralph needed to pay Modrak more so he wouldn't take another GM job.

Other NFL scouts criticized him and mocked the organization because Modrak was seen by some as a lazy scout who never went out and scouted talent in person.

He fueled such talk even further when he turned the Bills GM job down so that he wouldn't have to be bothered to leave Jacksonville.

One of Buddy's first acts as GM was to hurl Modrak under the bus a fast as possible for drafting Maybin.

All-in-all his drafting wasn't half bad though.......it's just hard to get better when you are a mediocre team and you are letting your best players leave in free agency or via trade every offseason and then trying to replace them with your early picks.

At one time he was an extraordinary personnel man.....one of the league's best GM's......but his job in Buffalo was basically a high paying part-time gig for him.

Donahoe cushioned his fall when Modrak unexpectedly lost a power struggle, and his GM job, in Philly.

Then he got Ralph to up the ante the following offseason saying that Ralph needed to pay Modrak more so he wouldn't take another GM job.

Other NFL scouts criticized him and mocked the organization because Modrak was seen by some as a lazy scout who never went out and scouted talent in person.

He fueled such talk even further when he turned the Bills GM job down so that he wouldn't have to be bothered to leave Jacksonville.

One of Buddy's first acts as GM was to hurl Modrak under the bus a fast as possible for drafting Maybin.

All-in-all his drafting wasn't half bad though.......it's just hard to get better when you are a mediocre team and you are letting your best players leave in free agency or via trade every offseason and then trying to replace them with your early picks.

Mike Williams, JP Losman, Aaron Maybin, Donte Whitner, John McCargo, CJ Spiller, Torell Troup, Leodis McKelvin, James Hardy, Chris Kelsay, Josh Reed, Ryan Denney.

Woof. Just awful 1st and 2nd round picks. No wonder we've sucked for so long. Even the ones that were "good" were extremely questionable.

Sad news to hear, regardless.

I totally disagree but whatever. RIP Tom

I disagree with that too. To me Modrak was at the end of a long successful career when he came here. He openly admitted that he did not want to put the time in to be a fulltime GM at this stage of his career. I don't even believe he lived here. I agree with Rico, a lot of successful men have walked thru One Bills Drive over the last 2 decades, & have left with there reputations in ruins & never experienced the success they had elsewhere here. I come up with one conclusion from that. Ralph & Rusty were/are the real problem.

RIP Tom.

Edited by Gordio