A Look Back at Football - 1939

Since many posts of the posts in the "Tom Brady, best ever" thread seem to get into the comparison of players across eras, figured I'd post this one up.

This is very high quality video. It's pretty cool to see the game even before Sid Luckman & Otto Graham started making themselves known. The immediate takeaway is how unique the option game was back then.

Enjoy!

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

As I think I suggested on the Brady thread, most QBs from long-ago wouldn't be successful in today's game. Then again, many of today's QBs would not have been successful back then. So how do you make a fair comparison?

I don't think Brady would have been successful running the offenses we see in the video. But I think TT would have have been.

Very cool - the quality of that is amazing

I always wondered what the game looked like prior to the modern rule changes in the early 1900s when people were actually getting killed playing the game

Very cool - the quality of that is amazing

I always wondered what the game looked like prior to the modern rule changes in the early 1900s when people were actually getting killed playing the game

The flying wedge of Princeton, a mankiller, must have been something to see.

Do we have footage of Jim Thorpe leg-whip tackling a runner after chasing him down for 30 yards?

Professional baseball historically outpaced pro football in terms of popularity. Unfortunately this means that many of us know very little about the early years of football. It's always great to see footage of those early years. It's striking how the game has changed so much over the years. It's basically a different sport now. I'm still sure some would argue that the Bills offense has a lot in common in with an offense of 1939 though.

Brady would have absolutely demolished these defenses. They would have absolutely no idea what to do.

Any modern offense would demolish those defenses, just like any modern defense would shut down those offenses. That's like saying an F-16 would totally destroy the Red Baron in WWI.

I didn't see a single QB death or "decapitation". I was sure there going to be several.

4 guys being run over as they lay there unconscious from getting clubbed to the head on every play.

Brady would have absolutely demolished these defenses. They would have absolutely no idea what to do.

Sure he would. If he was playing with the 2016 Pats. Modern NFL offenses would demolish 1930s defenses that were designed to stop something different.

But the rules and schemes were different back then. Could Brady have operated a 1930s style option offense better than the QBs back then? I don't think so.

He's a near perfect QB for today's game but I don't think his skill set fits the 1930s game.

Edited by hondo in seattle

He's a near perfect QB for today's game but I don't think his skill set fits the 1930s game.

I looked at the all NFL offense of the 1940s. Interesting that most HBs and QBs were 170-180 lbs, 5'10" - 6'0.

Brady at 6'4", 225 lbs would have been fine as a thrower and runner. He's not very athletic for our era, but back then, we would been fine.

Sure he would. If he was playing with the 2016 Pats. Modern NFL offenses would demolish 1930s defenses that were designed to stop something different.

But the rules and schemes were different back then. Could Brady have operated a 1930s style option offense better than the QBs back then? I don't think so.

I think Brady would feel right at home surrounded by 10 other white guys.

I looked at the all NFL offense of the 1940s. Interesting that most HBs and QBs were 170-180 lbs, 5'10" - 6'0.

Brady at 6'4", 225 lbs would have been fine as a thrower and runner. He's not very athletic for our era, but back then, we would been fine.

Yeah. Human beings in the general population are bigger too, and football players especially so. In the 30's the passing game was more of a novelty. Real modern style QB play was nonexistent in that era. If you transported JP Losman to the 30's he would have been an all pro in that era. Tom Brady playing back in the 30's would be like the Back to the Future scene where McFly plays Van Halen. People would be flabbergasted. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

His skill set didn't fit the 1930s simply because nobody had tried playing that way yet. It's not like the human race is evolving in 70 years.

His skill set didn't fit the 1930s simply because nobody had tried playing that way yet. It's not like the human race is evolving in 70 years.

Look at the size of the average person and athlete in particular in 1930 vs now. The human race may not have "evolved" in that amount of time, but human size and health have changed quite a bit.