Are the Bills hoping another team signs Gillislee?

It wouldn't surprise me if so. The Bills have a glut of RBs and Shady is the featured RBso Gillislee really is expendable. His age isn't much of a factor at this time but if the Bills could cash him out for better draft position then so be it. Picking up another draft pick in a draft that is deep in secondary talent could allow the Bills to move back into the end of the 1st rd with a package of their 2nd and 3rd picks and still afford them an extra 5th rd pick to use on some secondary help. It would also help ease the sting of not having a 4th rd pick in this year's draft. If the Bills do end up somehow getting back into the back of the 1st rd then I expect them to take Mahomes for our potential future QB.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2017/2/21/14673828/mike-gillislee-buffalo-bills-free-agent-contract-extension-projection

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2017/3/6/14838132/buffalo-bills-tender-mike-gillislee-nfl-free-agency

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RB market is soft. No one is gonna use a 5th round pick on the guy so there's no rush.

This would seem to be the truth, especially when there's apparently next to no interest in AP. While his contract desires, may be off putting, there is no way that he's 'done', imho.

I rather suspect that the Bills have decided to try and let another team 'set the market' on Gillislee, much as they did with Groy.

Personally, I thought we should have given both of them the 2nd round tender, as it wasn't going to cost that much more, but it would seem that the FO have so far done a good job of actually reading the market for both players.

I seem to recall there being some talk at some stage, about Gillislee's people being talked to about a long term deal, as opposed to just the RFA tender, but if they have baulked at any offer on the table, from the Bills, thinking they could get more elsewhere, then they might well have made a mistake.

I would expect the Bills to match, assuming it isn't an exorbitant deal, should there be any other team that does make an offer, as I do believe they want to keep him, but quite what sort of money we are prepared to pay, is a tricky one, as I'm not thinking big bucks, at all.

Edited by Buddo

I think he is the perfect #2 back for the Bills. If this is about money, then they are probably doing the right thing and will wait as long as they have to get him for the best price. If is about them not wanting him, I would question that thinking. Time will tell. But I do hope he is back in Buffalo next season, he is a valuable regular contributor to this offense, and Shady is a continual injury concern. The Bills need a very good backup they can go to, and Gilislee fits that nicely.

I could be wrong but with 2 weeks of FA gone with no reported visits for TD Mike and very few RBs, including AP, being signed, I don't think anyone is going to go after him.

I think teams know this draft of RBs is deep and they can find their starter or backup RB there, cheaper.

Unlike most posters here.

Could be one of these guys the Bills offered a long term contract too, but he wanted to test the market. Once he realizes no offers coming, he will come back and sign an extension with Buffalo. I'm assuming there are no rules agaisnt offering an extension to a player you just tendered??

The FO has a good track record with RFA tenders and have shown patience and mostly accurate judgment on a players value. I agree they would likely match a reasonable offer for Gillislee.

The low tender strategy worked okay with Groy-- he wasn't a bargain by any means but the resulting contract is reasonable and the Rams did the negotiating work-- I think the same thing could happen with Gillislee .

It wouldn't surprise me if so. The Bills have a glut of RBs and Shady is the featured RBso Gillislee really is expendable

Disagree. After McCoy there is nothing, and McCoy is getting older, could get injured. I think it is a mistake if Gillislee goes elsewhere

I don't think the Bills WANT someone to sign Gillislee. I think that, IF it happens, they are okay with getting a 5th round pick. It wouldn't surprise me if they then USED that 5th round pick on a running back. That seems to be the round in which Whaley finds a running back that dropped (Karlos and John Williams, for instance). Could it be a Joe Mixon this year?

Me? I hope Gillislee stays. His style is a perfect counter-punch to McCoy's, and he seems to be a PERFECT fit for the new offensive scheme. He also has low mileage on his wheels, and should be able to contribute for the next few seasons, at least. Put it this way: If McCoy is out a few games with injury, which depth chart makes you feel more comfortable: Gilly, Tolbert, Williams, or Williams, Tolbert, Banyard? Yeah, that's what I thought.