Chad Kelly: drafted by Denver

HOUSE

We keep talking like this heating up this thread, the more reasons for the management to NOT draft this kid. He's going to be OVER SCRUTINIZED here in WNY area. He'll be compared to his uncle, more so than any QB who ever plays for the Bills. and HE WILL NEVER LIVE UP TO IT. So, yes, even if Bills draft or sign him, 99% chance he'll never make it as a reliable starter.

• Replies 893
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is that Chad Kelly is a very talented QB w/ some baggage.

B. Polian has stated that he is the MOST TALENTED QB is this year's draft. That's a wow statement if there ever was one.

He also happens to be Jim Kelly's nephew.

Even with T. Taylor in the fold the Bills could still stand to acquire a franchise QB.

The question is, do the Bills take a chance on Kelly, and if so, in what round??

I happen to think that P. Mahomes is the best QB in this draft and will prove it in future years. Thus, I recommend that they draft him if possible. He will likely be drafted anywhere from mid R1 to early R2.

If they can't get Mahomes (by either trading down in R1 or keeping their R1 pick and trading back into R1), then I suggest they take a long look at Kelly, who will likely be drafted anywhere from early R4 to late R6, mostly because of his baggage, not his talent.

The bottom line is that Chad Kelly is a very talented QB w/ some baggage.

B. Polian has stated that he is the MOST TALENTED QB is this year's draft. That's a wow statement if there ever was one.

He also happens to be Jim Kelly's nephew.

Even with T. Taylor in the fold the Bills could still stand to acquire a franchise QB.

The question is, do the Bills take a chance on Kelly, and if so, in what round??

I happen to think that P. Mahomes is the best QB in this draft and will prove it in future years. Thus, I recommend that they draft him if possible. He will likely be drafted anywhere from mid R1 to early R2.

If they can't get Mahomes (by either trading down in R1 or keeping their R1 pick and trading back into R1), then I suggest they take a long look at Kelly, who will likely be drafted anywhere from early R4 to late R6, mostly because of his baggage, not his talent.

They could draft Mahomes and get CK as a UDFA because he's not getting drafted.

Yea, your probably right. The leading passer in the SEC in 2015 and leading again in 2016 until his knee injury. And we need a QB for the future but your probably right, no one would even mention him. Really astute analysis.

I'm just trying to think of all of the other QB prospects we are discussing at great length who check all of these boxes. Who are the others that:

- have a litany of off the field red flags throughout their high school and collegiate careers

- couldn't learn a fairly simple college offense which resulted in coaches simplifying it for him

- have poor pocket awareness

- have terrible footwork

- have poor weight distribution on their throws

- are short

- have substantial injury concerns

I can only think of one that is close to that. But, hey, he's got a strong arm, throws with anticipation and is Jim Kelly's nephew. There are a lot of sh***y collegiate players I don't waste my time on. But I'll make an exception here.

Edited by BarleyNY

I'm just trying to think of all of the other QB prospects we are discussing at great length who check all of these boxes. Who are the others that:

- have a litany of off the field red flags throughout their high school and collegiate careers

- couldn't learn a fairly simple college offense which resulted in coaches simplifying it for him

- have poor pocket awareness

- have terrible footwork

- have poor weight distribution on their throws

- are short

- have substantial injury concerns

I can only think of one that is close to that. But, hey, he's got a strong arm, throws with anticipation and is Jim Kelly's nephew. There are a lot of sh***y collegiate players I don't waste my time on. But I'll make an exception here.

I love all these "scouts" on here who can point out flaws in a QB's game that somehow a hall of fame GM like Polian missed. I guess his 760 yards passing and 6 tds and 0 ints in 2 games against Alabama with all these obvious mechanical flaws that you see must have been luck. We are very lucky to have you here to break down film for us.

Kelly will be drafted. It's ridiculous to say that he won't be drafted.

Some team will definitely take a chance on him because:

1. He's just too talented.

2. He's had excellent production against top flight talent.

3. He's got good size at 6'-2" and 215 lbs.

4. He's got a big-time arm and he's mobile.

5. He's got the Kelly pedigree.

I project that he'll be selected in R4 or R5.

If the Bills can get him in R5 it would be a huge steal.

Guest NeckBeard

Kelly will be drafted. It's ridiculous to say that he won't be drafted.

Some team will definitely take a chance on him because:

1. He's just too talented.

2. He's had excellent production against top flight talent.

3. He's got good size at 6'-2" and 215 lbs.

4. He's got a big-time arm and he's mobile.

5. He's got the Kelly pedigree.

I project that he'll be selected in R4 or R5.

If the Bills can get him in R5 it would be a huge steal.

Some would say that people like me don't like Chad Kelly because we have never reviewed his body of work. Thing is, I don't really watch that much college ball anymore. Life is busy, and even getting in one NFL game every Sunday (not to mention TWO!) is a boon. But I graduated from SJCI, and one of my classmates turned out to be a pretty good NFL player, so I follow SJCI grads as they find their way to (or throughout their careers in) the NFL, and CK is no exception. CK seems like a really good idea, because the pedigree aspect of his background is really exciting. I just don't see the huge upside, as some suggest, and I've watched as many games of his college career as I have been able.

I think that the best thing the Bills can do is to have good drafts, to continue to bring in solid talent via FA, and to cut ties with the past (on the field, not in terms of honoring the past). The future may involve getting a new GM. I am a tweener when it comes to DW, to be honest, but I think that a lot of the talk about bringing in project-type players, or drafting certain players at all could be resolved simply by drafting players who stick, signing FAs who make sense, and not reaching for players in the draft when there are clearly other needs on the field.

Sincerely, but grumpy and getting old,

-- NeckBeard

The difference is that Tunsil was exceptionally talented and most projected him to be a great pro despite his college idiocy.

Chad's had injury problems, on-the-field problems, off-the-field problems. It's not a profile that says 'franchise QB.'

I pretty much agree with this. We've already drafted a QB: Cardale. Let the new coaching staff get one year to work with him. Given that this is a QB-poor draft anyway, let's not draft a QB this year - or maybe only in the later rounds if a QB is BPA.

If TT and Cardale both disappoint the coaches this year, let's make drafting a QB a high priority next year.

That's my point, if you are good enough sometimes stuff could be overlooked to a degree. Hence, Prescott wasn't that highiy regarded as a prospect, enough so that a DUI being what bumped him down to the fourth round.

I love all these "scouts" on here who can point out flaws in a QB's game that somehow a hall of fame GM like Polian missed. I guess his 760 yards passing and 6 tds and 0 ints in 2 games against Alabama with all these obvious mechanical flaws that you see must have been luck. We are very lucky to have you here to break down film for us.

Feel free to debate my points, but please do so like an adult. Spare me the mewling about my level football knowledge. If you require someone to be a NFL scout or GM in order to discuss such things, then you shouldn't post on or visit this site. Your childish whining doesn't help your cause either.

The Bills.....

The Jets ..... and

The Dolphins.

I shudder at the thought of Kelly getting selected by those other teams and making a go of it. I just could not imagine how surreal it would be to watch a Bills / Dolphins game and see Chad Kelly shred us.

http://walterfootball.com/ProspectMeetings/ByTeam

The kid has a terrible Johnny Football like track record. I wouldn't risk anything to draft this guy as my future QB. The good news is that he's going to be a late round pick or UDFA. There is no risk involved. If the improbable occurs and Kelly becomes a great QB this franchise would never live it down. I think that makes him a guy this franchise can't afford to pass on. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

Funny that all the AFC East teams visited with him, and only the AFC East teams. I guess they all remember the Jim Kelly days well...

None of the players are in the buildings still

None of the coaches

None of the front office staff

None of the owners are the same for the teams

Who remembers?

Edited by NoSaint