So far Bills Secondary appears to be weaker for 2017

gjv001

Guys, we're 17 hours into free agency. We knew Gilmore wasn't coming back, so that should come at no surprise to anyone.

With serviceable DBs on the market and a stacked DB draft class, we have a lot of time to fix it the defensive backfield issues.

il_570xN.710991464_tkbw.jpg

Edited by junior12thman92

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

exactly, only in second day of fa and the draft still ahead which is very deep in cb and safety. Glad we didnt pay gilmore $15 mil a year and while i liked aw, he barely played the last two years and would be a huge risk again this year

This whole secondary thing's been discussed before, OP. We got a different defensive scheme coming in. Take a look at what Carolina did with Josh Norman free agency. Corners do not have as much value in this scheme as the front 7. With the depth of the position in the draft coming in, we can still improve further. I'm simply NOT CONCERNED with our secondary.

I feel like Darby/Seymour/draft pick or vet FA at CB and Graham/Hyde/draft pick at S is sufficient

Yeah, I haven't given up hope yet. Some say this draft is strong at defensive backfield. While the Bills have not been good at drafting QBs, we have shown some skill in identifying pass defenders.

And free agency is just beginning.

Look it's only day one of FA, but the reality is our Bills lost alot of talent on our D

2/3rd of our linebackers, and 3/5th of our secondary

Fine we get Reggie Ragland back this year so its like a free 2nd round draft pick

Sure, we got some solid depth bodies in Hyde and Porter but none were top FA's nor highly rated starting players

I'm not even going to talk about the loss of talent on offense

Yes, I love the TT cap renegotiation

But its useless if our Bills are using the savings to only sign marginal players

Sign a top Corner, or LB, and or bring back Zach, and I'll get more excited

You know like fans in other cities who see some top tier talent being added to their roster not just taken away

jc

So much depends on scheme and how the unit plays as a whole its really hard to say....I think its obvious that last year's unit vastly underperformed. Can this year's unlt be better than that based on scheme and playing as a unit? Hell yes.

Can they be better than the year prior to that when our secondary was pretty amazing? Probably not, but we don't really need them to be...they just need to be good enough to help us get off the field on 3rd downs, something they struggled with in both years under Rex.

Edited by matter2003

I don't think many GM's or coaches in the NFL would trade Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams for Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.

I don't think many GMs would have KEPT REX RYAN after he gutted our defense OR ROB RYAN. You are basing this BS on a failed system and a worse coach for this defense. I suppose players like Leonard Smith or Henry Jones weren't sexy back in my day but they were vital to our secondary. I can't wait to see what a mind like McDermott and experience with Frazier comes us with.

I don't think many GM's or coaches in the NFL would trade Stephon Gilmore and Aaron Williams for Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer.

Micah Hyde is a stud. Have you watched him play? Gilmore is a puss. All about himself. Can't wait to see the look on Belichik's face when he tries to make his first ole' tackle.

Look it's only day one of FA, but the reality is our Bills lost alot of talent on our D

2/3rd of our linebackers, and 3/5th of our secondary

Fine we get Reggie Ragland back this year so its like a free 2nd round draft pick

Sure, we got some solid depth bodies in Hyde and Porter but none were top FA's nor highly rated starting players

I'm not even going to talk about the loss of talent on offense

Yes, I love the TT cap renegotiation

But its useless if our Bills are using the savings to only sign marginal players

Sign a top Corner, or LB, and or bring back Zach, and I'll get more excited

You know like fans in other cities who see some top tier talent being added to their roster not just taken away

jc

I want to know why Hyde is a "depth player" when he was a playmaker and starter for another NFL team considered better then us.

I don't think it is nonsense. We are weaker today than we were at the end of the season because we have lost some players to free agency. We will see what the FO can do to fill the holes. I don't think it is realistic to believe that the draft will fill a substantial number of holes for the 2017 season. We tried that last year and it did not work.

Edited by jahnyc

Don't know if it was Rex, his contract or what, but it got hard to watch Gilmore get torched in multiple games last year, call out teammates on the field and generally look like he would rather be anywhere but here. "I'm just happy to be a Buuufffalo Bill". Next.

Would LOOOOVE to see Sammy torch him this season.

Our CB situation is concerning right now. I'm willing to wait it out and see how FA and the draft play out. We are pretty young and inexperienced at the moment though.

Its way too early to say that considering we don't know how important CB's are to McDermott's zone scheme. Obviously important but perhaps far less integral than in Rex's scheme when they were playing M2M most plays

I want to know why Hyde is a "depth player" when he was a playmaker and starter for another NFL team considered better then us.

Hyde was NOT a starting safety in GB, he was the 3rd backup safety, he only started games when Clinton-Dix, and the other guy were injured

He also wasn't a starting corner, only forced to do so, again with injuries

​He was mostly a 'starting' nickel corner, again, first one off the bench, like HRC

​In fact most folks say GB's corner situation was among the worst in the NFL last year

That's not saying much for Hyde's starting ability to date as a primary C or S

Though the local GB beat writers thought he was an excellent first of the bench backup versatile type player

The way fans here loved HRC and or Rambo off the bench

In his 4 short years in the NFL Hyde has not evolved he way Searcy has, let alone anything approaching Graham or Aaron

Unless he is a late bloomer

jc

I agree. Before we all predict the future failures of this team let's give McD a chance here. Everybody just take a deep breath back off a little and let's see how this pans out.

Agree....I will give McD a little more time than day 2 of FA before I hit the panic button.

Hyde was NOT a starting safety in GB, he was the 3rd backup safety, he only started games when Clinton-Dix, and the other guy were injured

He also wasn't a starting corner, only forced to do so, again with injuries

​He was mostly a 'starting' nickel corner, again, first one off the bench, like HRC

​In fact most folks say GB's corner situation was among the worst in the NFL last year

That's not saying much for Hyde's starting ability to date as a primary C or S

Though the local GB beat writers thought he was an excellent first of the bench backup versatile type player

The way fans here loved HRC and or Rambo off the bench

In his 4 short years in the NFL Hyde has not evolved he way Searcy has, let alone anything approaching Graham or Aaron

Unless he is a late bloomer

jc

I don't doubt anything here, but part of the pro scouting process is trying to identify those backups that have evolved and are ready to become starters. Is it unreasonable to think that Hyde has shown that potential? Especially to a coach whose scheme relies heavily on the nickel corner as a force player? Especially one with versatility? I just don't buy the "he's never been a starter" argument for not pursuing a player.