NFL abuse of painkillers described in court filings

From the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_nfldrugs815p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.524bbc4ab61c

I can't help but think that the league doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to drug suspensions for players now. Of course, the league is denying everything.

The Bills are discussed, and there is a sworn statement from Bud Carpenter that is quoted.

Edited by dave mcbride

Yes it is everywhere and no matter how much you would expect an industry to be protected and regulated, any time there is pain there is an opportunity to overprescribe and most docs really don't care less. Seriously. As a member of the recovery community, my brothers and sisters and I know. Watch the documentary prescription thugs.

So when we harass players for not playing recently and blame it on the short practice schedule agreed to in the CBA - Are players just not playing or being more frequently designated injured because the NFL clamped down on this because of the pending lawsuit?

Edited by What a Tuel

From the Washington Post: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/nfl-abuse-of-painkillers-and-other-drugs-described-in-court-filings/2017/03/09/be1a71d8-035a-11e7-ad5b-d22680e18d10_story.html?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_nfldrugs815p%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.524bbc4ab61c

I can't help but think that the league doesn't have a leg to stand on with regard to drug suspensions for players now. Of course, the league is denying everything.

The Bills are discussed, and there is a sworn statement from Bud Carpenter that is quoted.

Pez dispensers full of Demerol are the NFL benefits plan not abuse of drug laws, silly goose.

Classic case of 'double standards' coming up here. 'Regular' folks who did something similar, would be ripped to high heaven and back again, but it's ok because it's the NFL.

Rules and regulations about drugs are made for a reason, particularly in respect of prescription medication. Letting someone who is uncredited dispense stuff, deliberately, or simply through turning the traditional 'blind eye', is a recipe for disaster, potentially in both the short and long term.

By the sounds of it, there has been systematic abuse of this for years. If it were me, I'd just get the DEA to pull the licenses that enable NFL teams to dispense drugs, as they obviously cannot be trusted to do so correctly.

Is everyone in the world a moron?

"In August 2009, for example, Paul Sparling, the Cincinnati Bengals’ head trainer, wrote in an email: “Can you have your office fax a copy of your DEA certificate to me? I need it for my records when the NFL ‘pill counters’ come to see if we are doing things right. Don’t worry, I’m pretty good at keeping them off the trail!”"

Who puts this in an email?

Is everyone in the world a moron?

"In August 2009, for example, Paul Sparling, the Cincinnati Bengals’ head trainer, wrote in an email: “Can you have your office fax a copy of your DEA certificate to me? I need it for my records when the NFL ‘pill counters’ come to see if we are doing things right. Don’t worry, I’m pretty good at keeping them off the trail!”"

Who puts this in an email?

this is nuts, they should of just sent the email directly to them

It's alright if big brother tells them to take pain killers to keep the NFL looking great on the field but if Henderson goes out & takes some pot because his Dr. says it will help his symptoms for Crohns then that's not okay !

I wonder what Brett Favre's take on the NFL pushing pain killers is ??

It's alright if big brother tells them to take pain killers to keep the NFL looking great on the field but if Henderson goes out & takes some pot because his Dr. says it will help his symptoms for Crohns then that's not okay !

I wonder what Brett Favre's take on the NFL pushing pain killers is ??

Pretty sure its "Chill out. Dave's not here mannnnnnnn"

Harshly against weed but hand out these addictive, destructive, narcotics.

That's the NFL for ya haha.

I had that same thought. It's Ridiculous. One is non addictive and more/less safe, but completely against the rules. The other is one of the most addictive substances on the planet and is passed out like candy. Makes zero sense.

Least shocking thing I read all day... we've read plenty of reports alluding to this and of course direct allegations too

Yeah. this is really old news.

Also...that's 2.6 pills per player per week on average. I have patients who are serviced through legit "pain treatment centers" and "palliative care services" who take far more than that daily and chronically. That's their treatment for chronic pain.

Also, we give Toradol to just about every patient after surgery.

Once weed becomes a legal big business (and it's on the fast track to happen), like big pharma things will start changing quickly. Only a matter of time until major sports change their stance on MJ.

Once weed becomes a legal big business (and it's on the fast track to happen), like big pharma, things will start changing quickly. Only a matter of time until major sports change their stance on MJ.