Houston traded Osweiler to Cleveland

If I am Cleveland: I do this trade all day. Got a great draft asset for essentially cap space they had available to use. They will trade or cut him...basically means cut him. Eat the cap space, which they have room to do, and load up in the next 2 drafts.

If I am Houston: I do this trade all day. Get rid of an awful contract that will be an anchor on this team and prevent it from it being anything more than a 9 win wildcard team with no real chance to advance unless they get to play the Raiders missing Carr every year in the first round. It cost you a 2nd, but that is a small price to pay to improve your team moving forward.

Edited by Alphadawg7

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny thing is Cleveland just got better at QB......

They did? Nope. They didn't even get better at QB over what they had (since I assume your implying they got better than the Bills at QB).

How are people not understanding that this is a good deal for Cleveland? Getting Osweiler doesnt put them against the cap in any way, nor are the committed to him. They are free to do what they want with him, pretty much penalty-free as far as competing goes. They landed a 2nd pick in 2018 and a 6th for a 4th. They keep accumulating picks, and when the time comes, they will have many options dealing with their bountiful cap space.

They are doing what the Bills should be doing. Tear it down to the studs, accumulate picks and quantity, look at a 3-5 year plan (currently in year 2), with the goal of being a perennial contender for a decade+

Yes, everyone should aspire to follow the Browns model. People are going off the deep end in this thread. "We should be like the Browns!!!"

Too much madden around here from the looks of it.

Edited by bobobonators

they get the contract, dead money

They spent $16 mil to turn a 4th into a 2nd and a 6th. It's still a business, they spent something.

Is $16M his 2017 salary, and is it guaranteed? If so, then I retract what I said.

Cleveland again proves they have no clue

That is brilliant, actually!

Fans need to understand that there is a SALARY CAP FLOOR that every team has to meet. The Browns are ridiculously below the cap right now -- like, the farthest below the cap than any team in NFL history. They basically just picked up a second rounder and and made it easier to deal with their cap situation.

If I am Cleveland: I do this trade all day. Got a great draft asset for essentially cap space they had available to use. They will trade or cut him...basically means cut him. Eat the cap space, which they have room to do, and load up in the next 2 drafts.

If I am Houston: I do this trade all day. Get rid of an awful contract that will be an anchor on this team and prevent it from it being anything more than a 9 win wildcard team with no real chance to advance unless they get to play the Raiders missing Carr every year in the first round. It cost you a 2nd, but that is a small price to pay to improve your team moving forward.

yes. And as I say above, it's a smart salary cap move for them.

You're right. We should chase 1-15 instead. Christ.

They werent chasing 1-15. The goal was to clear the deck and accumulate assets with the long-view in mind. Like has been posted, they have 22 picks in the next 2 drafts, and just had 14 in 2016. The Bills have done the opposite of that... traded up in the draft for little value and spent foolishly. It has gotten them nowhere.

The Browns have a real opportunity to build a solid football team, possibly as soon as 2018

Yes, everyone should aspire to follow the Browns model. People are going off the deep end in this thread. "We should be like the Browns!!!"

Too much madden around here from the looks of it.

Look up to the post which listed all the Browns picks in 17',

18'. Then go look at some of their recent additions on OLine and front 7 on D.

IF they draft well they will be loaded with young talent and still have plenty of cap room with which they can bolster the roster through FA. It's clear they have a plan in place. What's the plan in Buffalo?

What do you mean? They took the contact and got a 2nd round pick. They have a ton of money to spend and can cut Brock after the season. They basically bought a 2nd round pick.

You are right. This is a terrific deal for the Browns and it also helps out the Texans. The Browns have no obligation to him after the season and they get a second round pick that they can use for a good prospect. Osweiller can be used as a backup so they get some utility out of him.

I suggest everyone who is still paying attention to this story/debate read this, which is from a year ago and hence a bit outdated because the four-year rolling average moved forward a year to where we are now: http://www.dawgsbynature.com/2016/3/8/11181686/cleveland-browns-salary-cap-understanding-the-89-cash-spending .

Edited by dave mcbride

Fans need to understand that there is a SALARY CAP FLOOR that every team has to meet. The Browns are ridiculously below the cap right now -- like, the farthest below the cap than any team in NFL history. They basically just picked up a second rounder and and made it easier to deal with their cap situation.

they basically paid 16 million for a 2018 2nd Rd pick, IMO, not smart use of money

I think some of the refugees got off at the wrong stop.