Houston traded Osweiler to Cleveland

You know what? I think you are right. I've been reading posts like yours constantly since I've come over.. I'll take my 44 years of fandom to another board.

See you later, TBD.

exactly, in my case, 55 years of fandom

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2017 NFL Draft

First round: (2) Own pick and the Eagles' pick.

Second round: (2) Own pick and the Titans' pick.

Third round: (1) Own pick.

Fourth round: (3) Three *compensatory picks due to free agent losses in 2016.

Fifth round: (3) Own pick, the Patriots' pick and a *compensatory pick due to free agent loss in 2016.

Sixth round: (1) Own pick.

Seventh round: (1) The Colts' pick.

3 2nd round picks in 2018 draft picks

2 4th rounders

2 6 rounders

Show me their draft picks from the past several years.

Yep, but I'm sure he'd rather pay and get something out of it, versus paying only to meet a requirement.

Either way, they are getting pretty aggressive with their pocket book. $140 million in new contracts already, maybe another $40 if they care to keep Pryor.

He did get something out of it - a high pick that'll be cheap and a player who won't be on the books in 2018 but who fills out cap space in 2017. It's an accounting move, and it's smart.

Edited by dave mcbride

Look up to the post which listed all the Browns picks in 17',

18'. Then go look at some of their recent additions on OLine and front 7 on D.

IF they draft well they will be loaded with young talent and still have plenty of cap room with which they can bolster the roster through FA. It's clear they have a plan in place. What's the plan in Buffalo?

Unfortunately plans in the NFL tend to not work out very well: drafts are completely unpredictable, injuries can be often career ending/changing and FA signings are gone by the time ur draft picks develop.

They have a plan, thats fine. So do we:

Maintain our top 10 offense, improve our defense (which may likely have been done just by firing Rex and hiring MCD), and get more disciplined (again MCD can do that)

But you cant see that bc youre too worried about how awesome the Browns are.

No, they cut him if they want and pocket the 2nd round pick. People don't seem to realize how far below the cap they are. We're talking in the neighborhood of $100 million. They have to meet a 4-year rolling average requirement of spending 89 percent to the cap, and if they cut Osweiler he counts only for this season - they don't have deal with the signing bonus. That's on Houston's books, not theirs. If they don't meet the 89 percent requirement, they have to pay the league the difference.

I realize they have $100M in cap room. But I agree with Casserly that spending $16M to get a 2nd rounder next year is stupid. Might as well target good FA's.

And they won't cut him, since they're paying him $16M. Next year, probably.

Show me their draft picks from the past several years.

Their new management just took over last year. I only saw that they got some nice players in the first couple rounds. Coleman and Ogbah look very solid. Don't know much about their other 12 picks.

I realize they have $100M in cap room. But I agree with Casserly that spending $16M to get a 2nd rounder next year is stupid. Might as well target good FA's.

And they won't cut him, since they're paying him $16M. Next year, probably.

They might cut him. It really doesn't matter. They didn't trade for the player, after all; they traded for him as cap space filler. Bear in mind that they're going to have a flood of new players drafted in the early rounds. Stiffs like Osweiler might not make it, and that'll likely be regarded as fine by DePodesta.

Edited by dave mcbride

Their new management just took over last year. I only saw that they got some nice players in the first couple rounds. Coleman and Ogbah look very solid. Don't know much about their other 12 picks.

5 of the 12 were WR. Some cut, can't recall. It wasn't a good draft.

He did get something out of it - a high pick that'll be cheap and a player who won't be on the books in 2018 but who fills out cap space in 2017. It's an accounting move, and it's smart.

Yes, I agree. Good deal overall.

I'd hang on to Brock. See how he looks in camp and take it from there.

Maybe. Could be apples to apples or oranges to oranges. Time will tell, but thinking they've suddenly learned to draft isn't exactly sound.

In case you're unaware, I'm a big, big fan of DePodesta. :) Not everything he's done has been a success, but he's a true innovator and really freaking smart.