Whaley wants Cardale to be 2017 starter

That is true. The only guy that I remember projected to go 1 that went back and was still picked 1st though was Luck. Most guys are advised that if they are projected there to go because it may not look like that a year from now. See Matt Barkley, Jimmy Clausen, Matt Leinart, etc...

There was a guy named Jay Clocker that went back to school and hurt his draft spot.

Not that I think this USC kid has proven anything.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love fake outrage in the morning.

Vic just said 2 days ago it was up to mcdermott.

I think the title of this thread is a stretch based on what the article actually says. That said, I wouldn't doubt that he wants the QB he drafted to start if he's ready. I would rather see him play than more TT running around too.

Edited by YoloinOhio

@JasonLaCanfora... •16min

sources tell me that #Bills GM Doug Whaley wants Cardale Jones to be 2017 starter. Further, team sources tell me that Doug wants to draft a CB no one has heard of with the 10th pick, and then a kicker who needs hip surgery in round two.

Draft a kicker that needs hip surgery - that sounds very Doug Whaley - ish. Gotta be true. :lol::lol::lol:

Carucci used to be a reputable reporter. Now he's just a hack.

You dont find this report believable? After the embarrassment that is EJ and the ridiculous we got a piece of clay we can mold comment? Its so far fetched that Whaley wants his guy on the field?

"When all is said and done, the Bills could very well determine their best move is to swallow hard and stroke the check for Taylor. Otherwise, they might be inclined to follow through with a plan that is thought to be appealing to at least one member of their hierarchy, General Manager Doug Whaley, and that is going with Cardale Jones as the starter." Vic Carucci

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/10/bills-quarterback-options-beyond-taylor-look-slim/

At least put the quote there so people can see it.

:lol: literally laughed out loud

I like Cardale but DW has been a big part of a front office that has missed on guys like Russell Wilson, David Carr and Dak Prescott......passed right under his nose....but he trusts his eyes on Cardale? Hmmm :flirt::lol:

Arent you forgetting that Cardale is a piece of clay?

The idea of Cardale being a starter in the NFL after what we have seen of him this year is completely ridiculous. Seriously.

Come on guys. Nobody thinks this is a real possibility. Do you?

Only way he would earn the start is if he improves drastically in camp and the preseason. He was the 3rd string this year. Friggin 3rd. He couldn't beat EJ.

In my opinion there is zero chance that Whaley honestly wants the coach to start Cardale at this point.

We won't need receivers because no one will be able to catch Cardale's 100 MPH passes to receivers 5 yards away.

Cardale is now EJ? Cardale is the only picked I liked from last years draft and I'm fine with him playing over a 30million TT. Taking up cap space and continuing to play QB with a blindfold on, get out!!! Still, I think Whaley's lack of direction while building this program has to be alarming to the Pegula's.

Cardale is now EJ? Cardale is the only picked I liked from last years draft and I'm fine with him playing over a 30million TT. Taking up cap space and continuing to play QB with a blindfold on, get out!!! Still, I think Whaley's lack of direction while building this program has to be alarming to the Pegula's.

Where did I say that Cardale is EJ? I think you quoted the wrong person.

The idea of Cardale being a starter in the NFL after what we have seen of him this year is completely ridiculous. Seriously.

Come on guys. Nobody thinks this is a real possibility. Do you?

Only way he would earn the start is if he improves drastically in camp and the preseason. He was the 3rd string this year. Friggin 3rd. He couldn't beat EJ.

In my opinion there is zero chance that Whaley honestly wants the coach to start Cardale at this point.

What are you basing this on? The NFL is full of veteran QB's who can't play and teams know it but still trot them out there year after year. If your saying he can't and won't put it together, why did we draft him? He has some seriously ability, I think to many people just want to debate the TT thing instead of looking down the road.

Where did I say that Cardale is EJ? I think you quoted the wrong person.

Fastballs into the flat was a common trait for EJ during his stay with the Bills.

"When all is said and done, the Bills could very well determine their best move is to swallow hard and stroke the check for Taylor. Otherwise, they might be inclined to follow through with a plan that is thought to be appealing to at least one member of their hierarchy, General Manager Doug Whaley, and that is going with Cardale Jones as the starter." Vic Carucci

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/10/bills-quarterback-options-beyond-taylor-look-slim/

At least put the quote there so people can see it.

Sounds like Vic is inferring that, probably because Doug (reportedly) wanted to start Cardale the last few games of the season...

I too want to see Jones get his shot, but only if he wins a legit QB competition!

What are you basing this on? The NFL is full of veteran QB's who can't play and teams know it but still trot them out there year after year. If your saying he can't and won't put it together, why did we draft him? He has some seriously ability, I think to many people just want to debate the TT thing instead of looking down the road.

Fastballs into the flat was a common trait for EJ during his stay with the Bills.

Its got zero to do with TT. Why are you trying to make it about that.

Thinking about Cardale on his own merits, he is not a starting caliber quarterback at this point in his career. If he was, he would have been lighting up the Jets in garbage time in his last performance. And maybe he would have lit things up in preseason. Those are the only times we have got to see him. And based on those performances, it is blatantly obvious he is not good enough to start in the NFL at this point in his career.

Maybe he becomes good enough. But right now I would say he isn't close. And I explained that he couldn't even beat out EJ for QB#2 on the Bills. That means he is bad, bad. because EJ is very un-special. Whaley knows all of this.

Sounds like Vic is inferring that, probably because Doug (reportedly) wanted to start Cardale the last few games of the season...

I too want to see Jones get his shot, but only if he wins a legit QB competition!

Whaley said publicly on many occasions that Jones wasn't ready and if that were the case we probably would have seen him start over EJ in the season finale.

Its got zero to do with TT. Why are you trying to make it about that.

Thinking about Cardale on his own merits, he is not a starting caliber quarterback at this point in his career. If he was, he would have been lighting up the Jets in garbage time in his last performance. And maybe he would have lit things up in preseason. Those are the only times we have got to see him. And based on those performances, it is blatantly obvious he is not good enough to start in the NFL at this point in his career.

Maybe he becomes good enough. But right now I would say he isn't close. And I explained that he couldn't even beat out EJ for QB#2 on the Bills. That means he is bad, bad. because EJ is very un-special. Whaley knows all of this.

I wouldn't read too much into Cardale being the 3 last year. He was a project QB that the Bills did not want to play last year.

I wouldn't read too much into Cardale being the 3 last year. He was a project QB that the Bills did not want to play last year.

If he is obviously better than EJ, then he still would have been made #2. They would have been naming him to the roster as backup and not dressing EJ.

(especially while they were still in the playoff hunt)

Edited by PolishDave

Yep, I think that if you asked anyone within the Bills organization "who is more likely to be a franchise caliber QB EJ or Cardale" the overwhelming majority would say Cardale. They just didn't want to throw him into the fire if they didn't have to. I bet that if TT would have went out for a month or so we would have saw Cardale playing.

If he is obviously better than EJ, then he still would have been made #2. They would have been naming him to the roster as backup and not dressing EJ.

I think that the thought was EJ can finish the game. They want to put Cardale in position to succeed. If it would have been multiple weeks they would have gotten CJ ready to play. They didn't want to have to play him yet but they knew EJ was a scrub.

I think that the thought was EJ can finish the game. They want to put Cardale in position to succeed. If it would have been multiple weeks they would have gotten CJ ready to play. They didn't want to have to play him yet but they knew EJ was a scrub.

Exactly. The Bills decided before the year started the pecking order. Tyrod starter, EJ backup, Cardale developmental QB that would never dress.

If this is the route they decide to go wouldn't totally be against it. If you are not going to pay Taylor. I would be in favor of signing veteran QB to back up Cardale like McCown. If we bottom out in 2017 we are in good shape to land top QB in 2018 draft. We could still draft a QB in 2017 but not in the 1st rd.

However, if they decide to do this they need to be all in and that means blowing up team. Letting Gilmore walk and cutting some high priced veteran players like Graham, Woods, Williams both Kyle and Aaron, etc...

It's time to tank.

Spending significant money on a QB who can't help the team win more than 8 games is a waste of time and money.

Throw Cardale in there. Hope for the best, but gladly accept the worst.

This makes Whaley smart, in my opinion.

not a terrible idea if you consider all the other QB's out there to be nothing more than 8 game winners. This saves a ton of money and surrounds a "rookie" QB with good weapons, perhaps keeps the D intact and adds at WR and OL. If he fails, you could draft Sam Darnold in 2018.

Edited by RyanC883

If this is the route they decide to go wouldn't totally be against it. If you are not going to pay Taylor. I would be in favor of signing veteran QB to back up Cardale like McCown. If we bottom out in 2017 we are in good shape to land top QB in 2018 draft. We could still draft a QB in 2017 but not in the 1st rd.

However, if they decide to do this they need to be all in and that means blowing up team. Letting Gilmore walk and cutting some high priced veteran players like Graham, Woods, Williams both Kyle and Aaron, etc...

Good, we can continue to suck for 5 more years......outstanding

It's time to tank.

Spending significant money on a QB who can't help the team win more than 8 games is a waste of time and money.

Draft Chad Kelly and sell fans on the QB battle in training camp.

I think you are inventing a scenario to fit your opinion of Cardale.

Seems incredibly obvious to me that Cardale wasn't outperforming anybody. If he had been, the coaches surely would have moved him up a notch to number 2. It is crazy to think otherwise.

No we can't play him because we just drafted him and he's not supposed to be ready yet? How absurd is that?

You don't think the coaches and Whaley would have been happy to announce Cardale is progressing faster than we thought and has earned the move to number 2. Then we could realistically think he might have a legit shot at being a starter this year.

Coaches and GM would be very happy to start a draft guy sooner if he was outplaying the other guy(s). Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Oh, he is playing too well in practice. We better not let him play in a real game. Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

It's time to tank.

The Buffalo sports mentality.....let's keep losing....maybe we'll win one day

Seems incredibly obvious to me that Cardale wasn't outperforming anybody. If he had been, the coaches surely would have moved him up a notch to number 2. It is crazy to think otherwise.

No we can't play him because we just drafted him and he's not supposed to be ready yet? How absurd is that?

You don't think the coaches and Whaley would have been happy to announce Cardale is progressing faster than we thought and has earned the move to number 2. Then we could realistically think he might have a legit shot at being a starter this year.

Coaches and GM would be very happy to start a draft guy sooner if he was outplaying the other guy(s). Ridiculous to think otherwise.

Oh, he is playing too well in practice. We better not let him play in a real game. Think about how ridiculous that sounds.

I have no opinion on Cardale other than what we saw last. He did not look ready.

The Buffalo sports mentality.....let's keep losing....maybe we'll win one day

Actually, the mentality is .... let's keep hovering around .500 ... maybe we'll win one day.

That hasn't worked for the last 17 years.

We should try something different.

Not really, teams do that all of the time. It's not uncommon that the vet finishes the game and the young guy plays for weeks. The Texans kind of did it with Tom Savage (although he entered during a game).

You don't put the rookie in to finish a game. You give him a week to prepare. If he isn't ready you start the vet and try again the next week. This isn't uncommon at all in the NFL. The staff knew EJ sucked. He wasn't going to be the answer in an extended absence of TT. They would have rolled Cardale out and let him sink or swim.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Actually, the mentality is .... let's keep hovering around .500 ... maybe we'll win one day.

That hasn't worked for the last 17 years.

We should try something different.

I would love to compete for a playoff spot and win games. But when I look at this roster do I see a 9-7 or 10-6 team. No.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.” Sun Tzu

With Tyrod playing well enough to keep us in the playoff race into December (and healthy), what would have been the benefit of announcing that Cardale has surpassed EJ on the depth chart? When has a similar situation happened, ever? I have very little with which to base my opinion of CJ, just like you, but to say he's no good because the team didn't officially promote him to #2 is just absurd, IMO.

Carucci used to be a reputable reporter. Now he's just a hack.

seriously. he has fallen totally off the cliff of credibility. its sad to see someone who used to be so good fall so far. its like hes losing his mind

serious question: how old is he? is there any chance hes developing early dementia? im not even joking, something seems wrong that he can turn so completely in the other direction from where he used to be