Whaley wants Cardale to be 2017 starter

Its got zero to do with TT. Why are you trying to make it about that.

Thinking about Cardale on his own merits, he is not a starting caliber quarterback at this point in his career. If he was, he would have been lighting up the Jets in garbage time in his last performance. And maybe he would have lit things up in preseason. Those are the only times we have got to see him. And based on those performances, it is blatantly obvious he is not good enough to start in the NFL at this point in his career.

Maybe he becomes good enough. But right now I would say he isn't close. And I explained that he couldn't even beat out EJ for QB#2 on the Bills. That means he is bad, bad. because EJ is very un-special. Whaley knows all of this.

He threw over the middle.

He ran a touchdown.

For the Bills, that's a QB lighting it up.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont understand whats so very difficult to understand about this: its a business. No business wants to go full on tank mode unless they absolutely have to. Prior to last season id say easily half of the fanbase thought we had a good chance of going about 10-6 and making the wildcard. Probably 90% of the fanbase thought we would finish somewhere between 7-9 and 10-6. Unfortunately due to injuries and bad coaching it was a worse case scenario. Even under those dire circumstances we still were in the playoff hunt late in December.

Keeping Tyrod and building for the future are not two mutually exclusive occurrences. Forget guaranteed money. 20th in salary cap at the QB position is not preventing us from signing other players.

Exactly right.

Tyrod's salary would preclude us from signing a high priced franchise QB if one became available. (Currently no good QBs are FAs).

But having Tyrod doesn't prevent us from drafting a QB who'll get a rookie salary.

How often do great QB's hit the open market. Yeah, I know...Manning, Brees, etc., but that's rare and there's often a reason (neck, labrum, etc.). Draft our guy for a 17 year run, then I'll attend the HOF entry 5 years later. God, I hope I live that long!

First of all......Rosen was a big disappointment this year.

Career sub 60% passer.....career production of just 33 TD's to 16 ints.........periodically boneheaded decision maker.......zero improvement shown from freshman to sophomore year.......not a huge arm to begin with and nerve damaged shoulder ended his season 6 games in.

Honest question........do you watch college football? :flirt:

Why are you so offensive to everyone that disagrees with your opinion? I watched Rosen play vs Arizona, BYU and UNLV this year. I watched a few last year (only remember the byugame in which was one of his worst). I watched him play in the national championship game his senior her of HS vs Bishop Gorman. I've watched him play probably 7 or 8 times now. His arm most definitely NFL caliber. He has good poise, climbs the pocket well, has good footwork and makes nice plays moving around in and out of the pocket while also being able to tuck and run. He's had some trouble throwing high. When he misses, it's normally high. He's thrown some picks because he didn't see defenders but overall keeps his eyes downfield better than most prospects. I like what I see when I watch him play. He passes my eyeball test. Not many do. The nerve damage is certainly worrisome. That would be the only thing that could keep me from drafting him if it turns out to continue to bother him. I like him more than any of the QBs in this draft. Each of whom I've seen play at least 2 times this year. Not that my opinion of QBs is better than anyone else's, but that's why I feel the way I do.

It isn't just about tanking. My main concern with keeping Tyrod is keeping him will further deplete our overall talent level due to his contract.....while we still don't have good QB. We know how good he is and it's not good enough to be a great QB. We drafted a QB in the 4th last year because they think he's got a chance to be a good player. This is the perfect opportunity to give him a shot. My objective isn't to "tank". My objective is to make strides in finding a really good QB while not blowing our Sakarya cap on one. We're saving money (by cutting tyrod) and keeping our FA talent while seeing if a draft pick pans out as they think he may. If he doesn't, we'll be in position to draft a good one (imo) next year.

Exactly right.

Tyrod's salary would preclude us from signing a high priced franchise QB if one became available. (Currently no good QBs are FAs).

But having Tyrod doesn't prevent us from drafting a QB who'll get a rookie salary.

Well said, the hysteria is amazing that the Bills would be paying franchise QB money. too much Buffalo News poison

If true, DW is lost and is trying to do whatever anyone else has to catch fire. He'll likely trade a 1st for Romo.

Wanna bet? I'll give you 5-1 odds. I give you $100 if Whaley trades a first for Romo and you give me $20 if he doesn't

Wrong again.

NOT MOST OF THEM HIGH FIRST ROUNDERS.

Big Ben was selected by the Steelers with the 11th pick in round 1......not coming off some tank-job.

Rodgers and Flacco were picked 18th and 24th in round 1 respectively.

Of your "38" SB QB's in the past 19 years....... only 11 of those appearances were by top 5 picks in a draft........and all but the Mannings.......the only top 5 selected QB's to WIN a SB in that span....... have only been to one SB.

Furthermore.......technically only 3 times in the last 19 seasons has a #1 overall pick won a SB for the team that drafted him. Manning had been cut and signed with Denver.

But we are talking about the concept of TANKING to get a top overall or close-to-it pick here, not whether it makes sense to draft a QB in round 1. :doh:

Top 10 (or 11) picks are high first round picks.

Bottom-line, you have a better chance getting the QB you want with a higher pick. Period. If the Bills had another #19 pick, they would have missed out on Rodgers and Big Ben.

In fact, they did miss out on Ben in 2004 by going after the QB who needed a great team around him to back into the playoffs. No thanks to doing that again 13 years later.

I want a QB who I legitimately think gives us a shot at scoring every time he is on the field.

Funny how you can think TT gives us a shot and in the same breath assure us that Jones never can.

Those kind of work against each other. The 2016 Bills were one of the highest scoring teams in franchise history. They were top 7 with TT at QB.

and the haters just continue to ignore that

People can criticize wherever they feel necessary but if scoring is the issue their credibility takes a hit. They are 7th in franchise history. If you want to complain, complain about the right things. If TT would have played all 16 games they probably would have ended up 4th. Edited by Kirby Jackson

People can criticize wherever they feel necessary but if scoring is the issue their credibility takes a hit. They are 7th in franchise history. If you want to complain, complain about the right things. If TT would have played all 16 games they probably would have ended up 4th.

IQ levels of gnats is the problem.

People can criticize wherever they feel necessary but if scoring is the issue their credibility takes a hit. They are 7th in franchise history. If you want to complain, complain about the right things. If TT would have played all 16 games they probably would have ended up 4th.

I'm sure this isn't directed at me, as I've never criticized the offense, just the QB that we need to drive us down the field and score when the game is on the line. The problem wasn't scoring points. The problem was scoring points when we NEEDED to score points. The problem was getting first down when we NEEDED to get first downs. If you guys didn't see that, then I'm not sure what to say.

I understand our defense sucked and if we had had a better defense we wouldn't have had to score or get certain first downs. Some of us want a QB capable of leading a drive to win the game regardless of defense. Like I've maintained all along, I don't think tyrod sucks. I just don't think he's our answer to winning a super bowl. Sure, he could get us to the playoffs.....but I don't just want to make the playoffs, or win a playoff game or even make the super bowl. All I want is to win a super bowl. If you think TT can do that.....well, good luck

Rex came in, messed up the defense but signed a QB better than any QB Whaley has brought in, in his whole tenure. Brought in an elite RB also. That same QB/RB combo has helped the Bills become top 10 in scoring and put up the most points any Bills team has since the 90s. Im sure that sticks in his craw. :lol::lol:

I wouldnt be surprised if he pushes Cardale starting next season. Typical Whaley QB shenanigans.

EDIT: Typical Bills luck if Whaley lets Tyrod walk because hes gonna draft a QB high this year, Trubisky and Watson get drafted before #10 and we get stuck with Kizer or Mahomes in the 1st. :sick:

This

and the haters just continue to ignore that

and this

IQ levels of gnats is the problem.

and a little bit of that.

Edited by Marty McFly

When all is said and done, the Bills could very well determine their best move is to swallow hard and stroke the check for Taylor. Otherwise, they might be inclined to follow through with a plan that is thought to be appealing to at least one member of their hierarchy, General Manager Doug Whaley, and that is going with Cardale Jones as the starter.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/02/10/bills-quarterback-options-beyond-taylor-look-slim/

"thought to be appealing"

Is that all that was actually said?

Jeez.

Well, that's why people should give the actual quotation and a link. So people don't waste time talking about comments that were never actually made.

Edited by Thurman#1

Well said, the hysteria is amazing that the Bills would be paying franchise QB money. too much Buffalo News poison

Yup, truth is sometimes poison, to those unwilling to see it.

If Tyrod stays for five years or close, his price per year would be very reasonable. If he stays for one year, his price per year would be one of the all-time highest in league history, one year for $30.5 mill. If he stays for two years - more likely - it would be two years for $40.5 mill. And that is indeed franchise QB money. And the price doesn't change just because you can put some of the purchase on plastic and pay later. It's still franchise QB money.

Those kind of work against each other. The 2016 Bills were one of the highest scoring teams in franchise history. They were top 7 with TT at QB.

And an awful lot of that scoring came the superb run game instead of the substandard pass game.

So there's not really a contradiction at all.

Not that I think the odds are terrific that Cardale would turn us into an offensive powerhouse overnight, but IMHO we know Tyrod's ceiling and we don't know Cardale's. And I'm just not all that worried about next year. I don't see any way, even with Romo if he stayed healthy, that we would be competitive for a Super Bowl. So I'd rather see them worrying more about two or three years down the road. And I don't see those years including Tyrod. I could be wrong, especially if he re-negotiates, but that's the way it looks right now.