Rename the Lombardi Trophy

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dam I thought this was going to be serious thread until I read the OP.

Lombardi was by all accounts a terrible person. His kids don't like him and his wide was a terrible drunk - perhaps to escape him.

I would be all for a generic name.

I do like the trophy itself though. Second only to Stanley Cup. Don't care for the MLB, NCAA, or NBA trophies.

Was talking about this recently with someone at work.

Really don't understand why it's not called the Paul Brown trophy??

Lombardi was great, but for a rather small period of time. Paul Brown has changed the game over the years with innovation. Lombardi was more a bully than a motivator or innovator, but that was the in style back then. Everyone ate it up.

If the Pats win the SB tomortow Would people be opposed to renaming the Lombardi Trophy to the BelichickTrophy down the line? Not anytime soon but once Belichick retires and some time passes.

When its all said and done he'll be the most successful HC ever. Added significance to his accomplishments is the fact that the large majority of this took place in the modern era where salary caps can signigicantly hamper teams.

Did you really not see this coming?

If the Pats win the SB tomortow Would people be opposed to renaming the Lombardi Trophy to the BelichickTrophy down the line? Not anytime soon but once Belichick retires and some time passes.

When its all said and done he'll be the most successful HC ever. Added significance to his accomplishments is the fact that the large majority of this took place in the modern era where salary caps can signigicantly hamper teams.

No some traditions need to be maintained.

I think it should be the Bill and Tom trophy.

maybe the NFL MVP named after Brady

and the coach of the year after Bellycheck

While I am always flattered by the support of fans, I am content knowing my contributions to the game will be in the areas of player safety and expansion of the fan base.

and $$$$$$$$$$$$

Dam I thought this was going to be serious thread until I read the OP.

Lombardi was by all accounts a terrible person. His kids don't like him and his wide was a terrible drunk - perhaps to escape him.

I would be all for a generic name.

I do like the trophy itself though. Second only to Stanley Cup. Don't care for the MLB, NCAA, or NBA trophies.

never heard of those.

Was talking about this recently with someone at work.

Really don't understand why it's not called the Paul Brown trophy??

Lombardi was great, but for a rather small period of time. Paul Brown has changed the game over the years with innovation. Lombardi was more a bully than a motivator or innovator, but that was the in style back then. Everyone ate it up.

How many superbowls did Paul Brown win? I don't seem to remember any appearances, could be wrong.

Well considering most of his career was spent before the Super Bowl was ever even played zero, however his over all stats were: 3 NFL titles, 10 playoff appearances in 21 seasons Which is pretty good.

He did coach 8 seasons with the Bengals in the SB era and went to the playoffs three times. That's also is pretty impressive when you consider the Bengals were an expansion team, in fact he won a division title there in the 3rd season, first year in the NFL post merger. More importantly was his innovation he added to the game.

I suppose the fact that he never played or won a Super Bowl would disqualify him from having the trophy named for him. But do think naming it the Lombardi trophy isn't really warranted either as three of his championships were also pre-Super Bowl era too and from everything I've seen of the guy his coaching style was to be a bully which was certainly more acceptable back then.

Personally I think it would be much more justified if it was called the Chuck Noll or Bill Walsh trophy.

Maybe coach of the year should be called the Paul Brown trophy!

How many superbowls did Paul Brown win? I don't seem to remember any appearances, could be wrong.

Lombardi died tragically while coaching the Redskins. I think that's the big reason they have the name.

Best coach in history? Paul Brown. Built two NFL teams from scratch. Advanced the league in professionalism and a lot of the tradition, like weekly schedules, breaking down tape, rules and even equipment come from him. He also transcended the game and uplifted the society around him by fighting against segregation. A lot of the league today is taken directly from Paul Brown.

Bellichek wins but at the expense of the game. Kicking the ball to stop Kelly's no-huddle, or teaching how to hold without the refs seeing, or changing eligible wide receivers. When he got there, the NFL was fun. Exciting games almost every week. After he's done with it, it's boring television filled with spoiled players looking at refs asking for a flag.

This.

:thumbsup::beer:

I say No, keepnit Lombardi. Lombardi help make the game what it is today, BB a great coach but Lombardi. Deserves that trophy name.

As a young, avid fan of pro football in the 60's, I've considered it homage to Vince's great legacy -embodying every thing right about pro football. Sure, its now a long time ago, but they still won 5 titles in 8 years. Also, no one was really sure the merger would work out as well as it did, so it was named early on the AFL-NFL Championship trophy. Wasn't even called the Super Bowl til the Jets upset the Colts.. As the League prepares for its centennial season in '19, one could argue that the SB trophy shouldn't be named after anyone through such a storied existence, but most sports trophies are anyway. Can you envision the Stanley Cup being renamed the NHL Championship Trophy?

Then consider the checkered -at best- legacy of Kraft's organization. Might as well name it the Vegas Award.. I can see both sides, but I'm for tradition.

I doubt they would re-name the trophy, but would probably name the "Coach of the Year" award the Belichick Trophy