Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally did the math by looking through the individual TD's and FG's for the 13 games that had TT and ALynn. You are 100% incorrect and that is a fact. The Offense produced 25.9 points per game with that combo.

Per Hondo:

Cards 33 (-7 D TD, 26)

Pats 16

Rams 30 (-7 D TD, 23)

49ers 45

Fins 25

Pats 25

Hawks 25

Bengals 16

Jags 28

Raiders 24

Steelers 20

Browns 33

Fins 31

337 Total Offensive Points over 13 Games = 25.92 Points Per Game

If you're going to look at offensive points scored per game, you have to do that for other teams as well. And you'll see that 25.9 points per game is good offensive production.

So the fact remains, that the Lynn/TT combo was pretty dynamic. The question is whether TT actually had very much to do with that success.

My own opinion is that there was great chemistry between Roman's play design, Lynn's play calling, Shady's running skills, and TT's own athleticism. There was a ton of synergy involved. And while Shady's ability as a back was the most important element, I think all the ingredients mattered.

But it's obvious from this thread that others vehemently disagree and we'll never reach a consensus. And I guess it doesn't matter. Roman won't design this year's plays. Lynn won't make the play calls. TT may not even be on the team but if he is, it will be in an entirely new offense that might make him look better - or worse. All I can do is wait and see.

@si_nfl

The one need all 32 teams need to address this off-season: http://on.si.com/2kX8Sc9

C4UCCqjWcAAmjWk.jpg

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback

Until this team finds its quarterback, management will keep making shortsighted head-coaching hires every two or three years. Tyrod Taylor is not the solution. He's mobile—and that's it. He doesn't have the anticipatory instincts or accuracy to compensate for mediocre throwing velocity. Taylor's also not comfortable in the pocket, which leads to his breaking down before the pressure even arrives and renders him unable to see open receivers. If the Bills wind up riding Taylor one more year—unlikely, given they'd save $13 million in cap space by cutting him—then he'll need weapons. Every receiver except Sammy Watkins is now a free agent.

If you're going to look at offensive points scored per game, you have to do that for other teams as well. And you'll see that 25.9 points per game is good offensive production.

So the fact remains, that the Lynn/TT combo was pretty dynamic. The question is whether TT actually had very much to do with that success.

My own opinion is that there was great chemistry between Roman's play design, Lynn's play calling, Shady's running skills, and TT's own athleticism. There was a ton of synergy involved. And while Shady's ability as a back was the most important element, I think all the ingredients mattered.

But it's obvious from this thread that others vehemently disagree and we'll never reach a consensus. And I guess it doesn't matter. Roman won't design this year's plays. Lynn won't make the play calls. TT may not even be on the team but if he is, it will be in an entirely new offense that might make him look better - or worse. All I can do is wait and see.

I agree that you'd need to do that to paint an accurate picture, however, even if you don't do that for the other teams we still ranked 8th in PPG :lol:

@si_nfl

The one need all 32 teams need to address this off-season: http://on.si.com/2kX8Sc9

C4UCCqjWcAAmjWk.jpg

Buffalo Bills: Quarterback

Until this team finds its quarterback, management will keep making shortsighted head-coaching hires every two or three years. Tyrod Taylor is not the solution. He's mobile—and that's it. He doesn't have the anticipatory instincts or accuracy to compensate for mediocre throwing velocity. Taylor's also not comfortable in the pocket, which leads to his breaking down before the pressure even arrives and renders him unable to see open receivers. If the Bills wind up riding Taylor one more year—unlikely, given they'd save $13 million in cap space by cutting him—then he'll need weapons. Every receiver except Sammy Watkins is now a free agent.

Mediocre throwing velocity? :lol:

Taylor has a gun for an arm.

He does most of his business on out throws and vertical routes. That is a lazy evaluation. :doh:

1,000 yards? And 10 - 12 more touchdowns? Wow, I had no idea. And of course neither did anyone else but the guy who made it up off the top of his head, which would be you. Where'd you get that figure? Oh, yeah, thin air. Some people would call that complete bull ****, and now that I think about it, I'm one of them. He gets credit for the amount he ran, and the TDs he got running. After that you're simply making up figures that you happen to like.

I bet that you didn't know that the run game helped the pass game by 2,000 yards. I came up with that figure the same place you came up with yours.

The run game helped the pass game a hell of a lot more than the pass game helped the run game. That's how it works when the run game is the most efficient one in the league and the pass game is the 26th most efficient. Teams don't line up with the idea that they're going to try to take away your weaknesses. It's very much the opposite.

And Taylor really didn't get the ball in the end zone that much, looking at the pass game. Opposing defenses loved it when Tyrod threw the ball, because the pass game simply wasn't that productive. That's why we kept hearing "Make him be a quarterback."

You are aware that Taylor ran for 6 of those 10-12 TD's by himself. :flirt:

Yeah the run-pass-run option is the key to the Bills far above normal rushing attack........without it they likely lose close to 20% of their run game effectiveness.

Not that there is anything wrong with averaging 4.5 ypa.........the league average is 4.2 and Shady only averaged around 4.3 over 3 of 4 seasons prior to 2016.........but 5.4 ypa from Shady and 5.7 ypa from Gillislee is not the result of Jordan Mills, John Miller and Ryan Groy. :lol:

And there is a reason why some teams with very good passers can't run the ball..........it's generally because the method used to defense that QB....pass rush....... is also effective at disrupting the running game in the backfield.

He does most of his business on out throws and vertical routes. That is a lazy evaluation. :doh:

You are aware that Taylor ran for 6 of those 10-12 TD's by himself. :flirt:

Yeah the run-pass-run option is the key to the Bills far above normal rushing attack........without it they likely lose close to 20% of their run game effectiveness.

Not that there is anything wrong with averaging 4.5 ypa.........the league average is 4.2 and Shady only averaged around 4.3 over 3 of 4 seasons prior to 2016.........but 5.4 ypa from Shady and 5.7 ypa from Gillislee is not the result of Jordan Mills, John Miller and Ryan Groy. :lol:

And there is a reason why some teams with very good passers can't run the ball..........it's generally because the method used to defense that QB....pass rush....... is also effective at disrupting the running game in the backfield.

+1.

I'm not arguing with your comment because the analyst didn't closely watch his games. However, how many throws does he make in the middle? Does he throw seam routes? His short and medium passes aren't consistently accurate and on those routes the ball placement isn't good.

I don't know how anyone can say that he doesn't have a strong arm because it is clearly evident. TT throws a beautiful long ball. One of the best long passers in the league.

Edited by JohnC

I'm not arguing with your comment because the analyst didn't closely watch his games. However, how many throws does he make in the middle? Does he throw seam routes? His short and medium passes aren't consistently accurate and on those routes the ball placement isn't good.

I don't know how anyone can say that he doesn't have a strong arm because it is clearly evident. TT throws a beautiful long ball. One of the best long passers in the league.

Not just the long ball - he throws a great, frozen-rope deep out. It's a *horrible* analysis.

No question he could be a lot better in all those areas you mentioned.

But when looking at the grass we gotta' remember that very few QB's excel in all areas.

I'm not saying don't try to use the middle of the field more with Taylor but the deep ball/sideline comeback combo is an effective 1-2 for Tyrod and it keeps defenders back where they are vulnerable to the run.

Obviously......he played the game of his life against Miami......but in that game he showed a lot of things he hadn't been showing prior.

Not just the long ball - he throws a great, frozen-rope deep out. It's a *horrible* analysis.

The arm strength part of the analysis was not on point, but some of the other critiques such as his lack of anticipation and lack of pocket awareness were good assessments.

He made some tremendous sideline throws this season........if there is one thing he did right this year it was THAT.

Saw somebody say somewhere else say that he doesn't throw well on the run :lol: ........he's got plenty of shortcomings as a passer to this point but he made a few Rodgers-esque throws on the move this year.

The arm strength part of the analysis was not on point, but some of the other critiques such as his lack of anticipation and lack of pocket awareness were good assessments.

Which tells you that he didn't do his own work.

Obviously......he played the game of his life against Miami......but in that game he showed a lot of things he hadn't been showing prior.

So the real 30M question for Whaley and McDermott to answer is whether they believe the Miami game was a sign of the switch turning on for Tyrod, or a one-off anomaly. I'd hate to be in their shoes because they'll be second-guessed regardless.

So the real 30M question for Whaley and McDermott to answer is whether they believe the Miami game was a sign of the switch turning on for Tyrod, or a one-off anomaly. I'd hate to be in their shoes because they'll be second-guessed regardless.

Hard to answer. Seattle/Fins game 2 Tyrod vs Bengals Pats Oak Raiders Ravens Mia 1 Tyrod

Who is he ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

During the Miami game I thought I noticed that Tyrod was taking Deeper Drops and maybe that was the ticket to being able to view the field better.

'Real possibility' Buffalo's Tyrod Taylor open to altered contract

Although Taylor hasn't ruled out a slightly altered contract, he is unwilling to accept any restructure that would reduce his pay, according to Vic Carucci of The Buffalo News.

Here's where it gets tricky.

Appearing on Friday's edition of Up to the Minute Live, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport echoed Carucci's report but added that there is a "very real possibility" Taylor will be amenable to altering his salary-cap number as long as it doesn't involve a pay cut.

Misplaced empathy is what feeds the apologist flames of TSW.

Miami D was beyond awful and they had some injuries in that game as I recall. Seattle was another story, but he couldn't make the throws when it counted at the end.

On the flip yoyo, it was also the first time all season Taylor had a healthy Watkins/Woods/Clay combo. :beer:

• 2 weeks later...

Miami D was beyond awful and they had some injuries in that game as I recall. Seattle was another story, but he couldn't make the throws when it counted at the end.

Not entirely accurate. He made great throws to get them down the field. I recall a 3rd and 21 to Robert Woods, dropped in the tightest of windows. Once you get into inside the 10 it's harder; harder still when your WR gets interfered with. Ball was where it should have been. Woods got bumped off or he would have been there to.

As opposed to what?

Moving on for whom? Brian Hoyer? Foles?

Yes it'd be good news in my book.

Agreed, if Romo isn't an option. For all of Taylor's shortcomings there is no one else available without flaws. The grass

is greener crowd just wants someone different. I get it, but it's useless if the QB isn't someone better. No matter what

they choose to do the Bills should still look to draft a QB.

Hard to answer. Seattle/Fins game 2 Tyrod vs Bengals Pats Oak Raiders Ravens Mia 1 Tyrod

Who is he ?

Still not easy to say. Because until Part Time Sammy is ever on the field, and fully healthy (whether sitting out or on the field), the worst cast of WR's in the NFL doesn't help evaluate TT either.

Part Time Sammy should take a lot more blame for the Bills not being to fully evaluate Tyrod. And so should Whaley. The WR's that were left after PT Sammy went down again, was probably the worst group in the NFL.

None of that helped evaluate what TT could do last year, yet, they still had a decently efficient offense.

Edited by Lv-Bills

Not entirely accurate. He made great throws to get them down the field. I recall a 3rd and 21 to Robert Woods, dropped in the tightest of windows. Once you get into inside the 10 it's harder; harder still when your WR gets interfered with. Ball was where it should have been. Woods got bumped off or he would have been there to.

Agreed, if Romo isn't an option. For all of Taylor's shortcomings there is no one else available without flaws. The grass

is greener crowd just wants someone different. I get it, but it's useless if the QB isn't someone better. No matter what

they choose to do the Bills should still look to draft a QB.

agreed, through and through

nobody knows because it apears the leaky mouth from obd has been silenced

and that is pretty impressive after so many years of wet poop to spin at speed for us fans , needy for news.

I actually find this change pleasant.

@AdamBenigni

Take 2: @viccarucci joins for thoughts on Tyrod Taylor and where things stand with #Bills @Wgrz @TBNSports

https://t.co/cURUJsWa5s

Benigni: Well Vic what's your take?

Carucci: Well Adam he might stay but he might go.

Benigni: Well that's interesting because my sources say he might go or he might stay.

what a bunch of worthless garbage. this man gets paid to guess and can't break a story to save his life. nice con

I liked Vic his first run in Buffalo. I never thought he was at the Larry Felser level but he was still reasonably good.

Something happened to Vic in Cleveland. He's been kind of useless and Sully-esque since his return. It's surprising how little real inside information the BN beat writers actually have. So they report that the Bills have really buttoned down instead of reporting that they've failed to develop sources at OBD.