Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

I'm a Tyrod supporter, but I don't think this is necessarily true. You could potential have Cousins, Romo, Rivers, Garoppolo or Brees available this offseason. I would take any of them over Tyrod for next year.

Cousins won't be - Brees wont be. Rivers wont be. I see no feasible way that Garoppolo gets traded within the division, nor would i pay that price for a 4th year guy with 2 starts. That leaves Romo - who likely gets to pick his destination, and it probably isn't buffalo.

My philosophy - keep Tyrod and draft someone. Most of the guys coming out play in spread offenses and will need some seasoning. If we suck, you can bench him for the rookie and trade him next offseason for a mid/late rounder to someone who either needs competition, or wants a solid backup. I didn't see Philly just give the keys to the car to Wentz. They re-signed their guy, and brought in Daniels. Then they saw the opportunity to go up to #2 - and took that as well.

It's the most important position in football, you should be willing to devote the most resources towards it.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Daily News writer would rather have Tyrod than Eli:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/tyrod-taylor-not-eli-manning-giants-qb-article-1.2954848

Discuss. :beer:

Eli isn't that good... they have no running game, and he might help them get more out of it... Mcadoo is a solid coach who might get some more out of him. Just spitballing here.

Taylor contributes much to the run game.

Exactly...but they have no idea about that...good luck getting them to understand that. They only speak one language...passing yards. Yet passing yards over the last 3 years has done squat for Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, and Luck who have a combined 4 playoff appearances out of 15 chances.

Exactly...but they have no idea about that...good luck getting them to understand that. They only speak one language...passing yards. Yet passing yards over the last 3 years has done squat for Brees, Rivers, Ryan, Stafford, and Luck who have a combined 4 playoff appearances out of 15 chances.

I do understand that. I still think even taking it into account the decision on Tyrod is 50-50.

I think more and more the Bills are going to move on from Taylor and not even want him back at a renegotiated price. In a recent interview discussing the QB situation Whaley said that they (FO/coaches) were going to sit down and decide if that player fits the long term criteria at that position. I find it hard to believe the long term criteria includes having their future long term starter being a running QB playing a hybrid of college and pro systems. Not trying to be harsh, but who really thinks Tyord would fit the criteria as the long term answer?

Probably wise to start looking at this year's QB class as to who'll be Cardale's competition in training camp.

If this is the case, they would also probably sign a cheap veteran QB to be a mentor and possible early season starter.

Their long term criteria could include him. But perhaps not as the final answer. He is surely a bridge QB until he prove himself more. Which he might.

keep bringing QBs in to compete and look to draft high next year via trading down this year and loading the shelves the mid range guys. Ideally of course

They could also really screw the pooch.

They could, you know, get worse at the QB position via the draft.

Nobody seems to be mentioning that for those that are clamoring for TTs departure.

But isnt Turbisky a lock for Hall of fame after starting for 1 season?

Nobody seems to be mentioning that for those that are clamoring for TTs departure.

any and I mean any QB they could draft this year, likely should sit a year excepting injury. and in that case i would think Cardale would be first up.

But isnt Turbisky a lock for Hall of fame after starting for 1 season?

no its Watson for first ballot, Trubisky is going to have to wait his turn

Nobody mentions it? It's mentioned constantly, in many many posts. And the answer, again common on here, is that it is the most likely way to reach the Super Bowl.

So, sure they could screw the pooch. But they need to try anyway. Again and again if necessary.

No ****.

Try and try again. In the mean time go with the best option available(TT) until someone emerges as a better option.

There's no "in the meantime" if the Bills want to move away from the "running QB" offense that only 9% of the league uses.

Taylor's a great guy, a decent QB, but the Bills may feel that the WR and TE positions are suffering too much in this niche offense, and it also exposes the starting QB to injury way too much without having a QB with the same skill set as his backup to use the same system.

There's no "in the meantime" if the Bills want to move away from the "running QB" offense that only 9% of the league uses.

Taylor's a great guy, a decent QB, but the Bills may feel that the WR and TE positions are suffering too much in this niche offense, and it also exposes the starting QB to injury way too much without having a QB with the same skill set as his backup to use the same system.

They should use only 9% of the league using it to their advantage. Make defenses pay for not having the personnel to stop it. New England's offense has been doing it for a while. Two big TE with a bunch of small speedy receivers. Defense aren't set up to stop that combo and it works(it helps to have Brady, I admit). Play to Tyrod's strengths with roll outs and boot legs, which can put a lot of pressure on a defense(run/pass option). Does he have to get better, yes, I'm not saying he doesn't. Draft a QB every year until we're set, but until then, he's better than any know and available option.

The Bills' current offensive coordinator knows Taylor extremely well.

If Dennison wants to work with him, that should tell you a lot.

When it was mentioned by Whaley, that the new Coaching staff would evaluate every position when the question about Tyrod was asked. I laughed.

Any one here think the Coaching staff has not long since taken a hard look at who the QB was?

I mean it is not like they are going to watch him play before March 11.

Everyone who needed to know about TT before signing on in Buffalo surely did. Otherwise they are fools.

You can keep Tyrod and draft QBs... Many teams do this.

This. I dont get why this is so hard.

When it was mentioned by Whaley, that the new Coaching staff would evaluate every position when the question about Tyrod was asked. I laughed.

Any one here think the Coaching staff has not long since taken a hard look at who the QB was?

I mean it is not like they are going to watch him play before March 11.

Everyone who needed to know about TT before signing on in Buffalo surely did. Otherwise they are fools.

Right. I would imagine coaches look at a roster before they sign off.

"Can I win with these guys?"

"If I have to rebuild is there enough young talent there to build a winner in the time Ive been given?"

QB has to be one of the 1st things they look at.

No ****.

Try and try again. In the mean time go with the best option available(TT) until someone emerges as a better option.

No.

For several reasons. The first is how wildly expensive his contract is unless he actually lasts four or five years here, which is wildly unlikely. We are close to the cap ($29 million under when we only have 37 guys under contract, and those 37 include guys like Enemkpali, Walter Powell, Jerel Worthy, Kolby Listenbee, Gerald Christian, Blake Annen, Jonathan Dowling and Phillip Thomas) and that will hurt our ability to turn over the roster

The second is that "He's the best of a bunch of bad options, so we should ignore his too-high salary and the fact that he's just not good enough to get us a championship," is an excellent argument for people who favor the short-term over the long-term. We shouldn't do that. Whaley finally shows signs of understanding that.

The third is that one or two or maybe at a real stretch three extra wins in the next couple of years isn't going to make us competitive for a Super Bowl, but it is going to get is worse draft picks, and better draft picks will increase our chances to get a better QB.

The fourth is that he's a bridge quarterback and you can get one of those much cheaper. Agreed that he won't be as good. But that's not a huge concern over the next couple of years when our priority will be turning over the roster and bringing in a QB for the future. Or two.

"If," indeed.