Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

But it would be hard to lose enough! We'd have to be historically bad to roll the dice at the top of the QB crap shoot. Although it would be a good year to take a QB by most accounts. As noted elsewhere, the best option might be to hope we can trade back from 10 and get an extra #1 next year providing ammo to move up if the right guy is there. That, in my mind, beats cutting or trading every good player trying to tank an entire year.

I have mentioned once and possibly twice. this is the year to trade back/ and get ready for next years draft.

Not tanking. Drafting smart and taking the Cleveland way for one minute. Collect picks.

work that phone whaley.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i honestly don't know. I'm leaning toward yes, but it's not a wide margin. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I think that given the right system and weapons, Foles can be the better pure quarterback.

I second that. I think it's close, but, Foles has a slightly higher ceiling consistency.

I wonder if those of you advocating for Glennon and Foles have ever watched them play. It's not a pretty sight.

Foles goes through his progression well. TT does not.

That would be an ideal draft. Get an elite player with a top QB prospect. And then hope it works out like the Mack-Carr picks for the Raiders.

It would be so exciting!

he acts like he's the only guy that wants a hall of fame qb. that's the frustrating part. and he's completely convinced if we lose next year we get one at the top pick.

That's the common myth here, that getting a franchise QB is just a matter of wanting one bad enough.

Or trying but hey, let's roll with a 4th rounder for the next 3 years and wonder why we still haven't made the postseason.

just don't sit there and act like none of us want the hof qb. you act as if they're is the magic formula of how to get one.

then give it a restRenegotiate with Taylor, and get him back here for next season. If the opportunity presents itself I'd draft another QB. I would also consider trading back.

I'm just fine with trading back to get an extra #1 next year, where there may be a higher level of QB's.

Yes by all means keep the options open, and it is not impossible that we could do what you say and make the playoffs next year with Taylor.

Obviously, you need a dance partner, but I'm falling more and more in love with this possibility.

2017 Bills Schedule
Away - New York Jets, New England Patriots, Miami Dolphins, Kansas City Chiefs, San Diego Chargers, Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals
Home - Miami Dolphins, New York Jets, New England Patriots, Denver Broncos, Oakland Raiders, New Orleans Saints, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Tennessee Titans

For those who want to pick up the option, take a look at this 2017 schedule and tell me a realistic number of wins for the Bills with Tyrod Taylor starting. IMO, the win total is 6 wins, 7 wins tops.

Jets, Dolphins, Chargers, Panthers, Broncos, Saints, Titans are the 7 games that are potentially realistic wins (this is expecting splitting wins with the Jets and Dolphins). I think this is a very fair projection.

So the question is, if Taylor QBs the Bills to 7 wins, is the front office (or Bills fans) going to stomach him being the 2018 starter? Odds are probably not. So now you're on the hook in 2018 for 18 million in cap money of which could have gone to stacking the offensive line and bolstering the roster in free agency to help out a third year QB like Jones or a newly drafted QB.

I know that fans want to believe in Taylor, but if fans are being truly realistic, there is just no way you can pick up the option because the odds are Taylor won't be the starter in 2018 and you'll need that money to help out the team in other areas.

As always, looking at the schedule and trying to figure out how easy or hard it is until you are halfway through the season the schedule is for is an exercise in futility. I say this every year, and every year its proven out, and every year we get the same thing over and over again talking about how "hard the schedule" is 8 months from the start of the season before we know anything about the draft, injuries, good players who start declining, young players who start improving, who's injured when you are scheduled to play them, who's suspended when you are scheduled to play them, etc...

Most people here claimed the Bills schedule last year was "brutal" and very hard in the offseason based on how teams did the year before and it turned out to be one of the easiest schedules in the NFL. There is NO corelation between how a schedule "looks" prior to the start of the season and its actual toughness once the season starts. None, Zero, Zip, Nada. Speculation is pretty much nosensical because you could basically throw a dart blindfolded at a dart board picking how easy or hard a schedule is and have just as much chance of being right as trying to analyze anything meaningful from last years records.

Edited by matter2003

then give it a rest

Renegotiate with Taylor, and get him back here for next season. If the opportunity presents itself I'd draft another QB. I would also consider trading back.

Why do people keep thinking Taylor would want to renegotiate? He has no reason to. Either pay him or let him go to free agency.

How would you explain it?

Kelly had a new scheme so nobody knew what was coming and they were running a play every 12 seconds or so and defenses were stuck in base, leaving very easy reads and eventually exhausting them.

Defenses adapted some but the biggest issue was that the defense that was getting the worst of it over time was Philly's.......because they had to play that pace every week.

The offense worked but the tempo was the key.

Second year saw big dropoffs from Foles(who was injured and missed a lot of time) as well as McCoy who just didn't find the going quite as easy.

They won 20 games in two years though. Not bad for taking over a 4 win team.

Why do people keep thinking Taylor would want to renegotiate? He has no reason to. Either pay him or let him go to free agency.

He has a reason to if he wants to stay.

And even more so depending on the terms. He isn't likely to get as good a contract after this year as he did after last year.

I'm not saying he definitely will re-negotiate, but it's certainly a possibility.

I'd rather they just let him go and saved the money, personally.

I have to admit, the best part about this news is getting to watch you melt down over it.

Which news? The "news" that Ian Rapaport has an opinion that they should keep Tyrod? Because that's all the story says, though the OP clearly didn't get that.

That's the common myth here, that getting a franchise QB is just a matter of wanting one bad enough.

Oh, please.

That's a poor summary. People aren't saying we should wish on a star and things will be fine.

What they are saying is that we should do things to increase our odds of getting one. That doesn't seem weird to me at all.

I'm just fine with trading back to get an extra #1 next year, where there may be a higher level of QB's.

Me too, if that's the best option.

Edited by Thurman#1

I think it would make some sense for Tyrod to renegotiate. Get what is essentially a big 2 year contract instead of long term and it would benefit both sides. 45+ mil over 2 years with an option to extend it at a much lower price. Tyrod knows he's not that good and his body won't hold up to running much like Vick. Cash in now. Bills get their guy for 2 years and option to get him super cheap at years 3 and 4 if he ends up being good, otherwise it's easy to ditch him at that point if the contract is front loaded. I'm not a contract guru but it makes sense to get more money in your pockets up front rather than have it spread out over 5 seasons when it's very likely you will be cut at year 3

.:Edit:. Didn't realize his contract is already set up to essentially be a big 2 year contract. Proves I was right. No way Tyrod makes it to year 3 with the way it is set up. That's fine. Keep him and draft your guy and in 2 years cut him loose

Edited by kdiggz

I think it would make some sense for Tyrod to renegotiate. Get what is essentially a big 2 year contract instead of long term and it would benefit both sides. 45+ mil over 2 years with an option to extend it at a much lower price. Tyrod knows he's not that good and his body won't hold up to running much like Vick. Cash in now. Bills get their guy for 2 years and option to get him super cheap at years 3 and 4 if he ends up being good, otherwise it's easy to ditch him at that point if the contract is front loaded. I'm not a contract guru but it makes sense to get more money in your pockets up front rather than have it spread out over 5 seasons when it's very likely you will be cut at year 3

Hunh?

That's what it is now, essentially, but gives even more to Tyrod than you're asking. It's now essentially one year for $30.5 mill. If he he lasts two years it's 40 mill.

Why in the world would the Bills offer even more for the first couple of years? They wouldn't. The Bills' current problem with the contract is exactly that it pays too much over the first year or two and only becomes reasonable for the Bills if it lasts four or five years. OBD isn't going to go to Tyrod's people and say, "We have a problem with this contract and we'd like to re-negotiate with you to make that problem worse."