Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

As of now, neither he or Taylor are free agents so all this is conjecture. But I do agree Romo in free agency would be more sought after than Taylor.

We agree on both. I don't think the Bills are going to walk away from TT. I still think if it was Whaley's decision and Whaley's decision alone they probably would. But I think the hiring of Dennison is a pretty big sign that McDermott believes he can win with TT and wanted a coordinator with some familiarity who could maximise his abilities.

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why in the world would they cut him at that point? Youre inventing and worrying about imaginary scenarios in your head.

The NFL is a cap driven league. If it doesnt directly affect the cap, then dont lose much sleep over it.

Why would they cut him at that point? After two years? Is that what you're asking?

Why wouldn't they?

There's always the chance that Tyrod could make huge steps upwards and become a franchise QB. But at this point it's really unlikely.

Where do I get that? What other QBs in history who have records like him made huge steps upwards after their 6th year had ended? He's got a contract like a top twelve player over the first next two years of this contract, $20 mill per year if he stays here both years. But he's not playing like that. He's playing like a guy wno's roughly the 20th best QB in the league.

Who in league history who's playing like that has ever lasted more than two years on what amounts to a third contract, one as good as the one they gave him? Ever? And ignoring contracts for a moment, who in league history outside of Gannon had played like that through six years and then stepped it up to become a franchise QB? It's an extremely unusual and thus unlikely career path. And don't give me Steve Young. His play took a major step up in his fifth and sixth years. He was still behind Montana but looked very capable of being a very fine QB in his own right when they put him out there, which they did a bit in his fifth and sixth years. Most likely who you see right now, that's what Tyrod is. And he's not a franchise QB right now.

They gave him this contract in hopes he would take a major step upwards this year. He regressed instead. They had him running a system last year where they simplified the playbook for him and cut down his reads. This is pretty reasonable for a guy in his first year as a starter with a new team. It worked for the first year, but run something like that long enough and people will figure how to defend you. So they cranked up the complexity this year and had problems and the OC is fired and the first thing the new guy says is that one thing he's going to do differently is simplify the reads. That's not good, not for a guy in his sixth year in the league.

Assuming the Bills pick up the option, he appear to be a bridge QB on a franchise QB's contract. The last thing that spells is long term.

Again, there is no reason for Taylor to renegotiate. Either the Bills pay him or he makes even more in free agency. Anyone who thinks Taylor can't make more elsewhere has no handle on the market for NFL starting QBs. Taylor would be the best QB available in years and there are easily 3-4 teams willing to bid up his price.

Again, we don't know whether there is any reason to renegotiate. But it's certainly very possible.

If he wants to stay in Buffalo, then that means there's every reason for him to re-negotiate, as long as he believes that the Bills aren't going to pick up that option and pay him at that rate. Which would be a wise thing for him to believe.

Yeah, it's debatable whether he's the best available in years. You could argue Foles or Fitz. Fitz in particular isn't far back. But let's say he is. It's a reasonable argument. I go to a vegetable shop here that's not very good. There's a pretty questionable avocado there that's the best they've had available for years. Nobody's bidding up the price on it. He could easily get an Osweiler type deal, but teams are probably looking at what an epic failure that contract was, and how Tyrod hasn't showed much more than Osweiler had and Tyrod has had a lot more time in the league to show what he's got and to learn to read defenses and look at home.

It's no sure thing he gets more than a re-negotiated contract would give him. It's possible but not a sure thing. Especially if the re-negotiation gives him the same amount of total money that he's getting now if he stays here for the five years. They could eliminate the guaranteed money, for example and change the $15.5 mill roster bonus to five $3.1 mill roster bonuses, one each year of the contract. It's not as good a contract as the old one, but it's still pretty good, especially if he is good enough to hold off all comers for five years.

Yeah, there'll be teams after him, but that he would get as good a contract as he got here is far from a sure thing.

As for the Bills, if he doesn't re-negotiate they should cut him and wish him the best of luck. I would certainly root for the guy except when he plays the Bills. He's clearly a good guy and a very hard worker. But his regression this year did not work in his favor. He's still got the same problems, an unwillingness to throw until the WR is visibly open, an inability to throw over the deep and intermediate middle third of the field, sporadic inaccuracy, a lack of pocket sense that leads him to bail out many times when there is more time for him to stay there, and an apparent inability to go through a lot of reads as quickly as you'd like.

Edited by Thurman#1

Again, we don't know whether there is any reason to renegotiate. But it's certainly very possible.

If he wants to stay in Buffalo, then that means there's every reason for him to re-negotiate, as long as he believes that the Bills aren't going to pick up that option and pay him at that rate. Which would be a wise thing for him to believe.

Yeah, it's debatable whether he's the best available in years. You could argue Foles or Fitz. Fitz in particular isn't far back. But let's say he is. It's a reasonable argument. I go to a vegetable shop here that's not very good. There's a pretty questionable avocado there that's the best they've had available for years. Nobody's bidding up the price on it. He could easily get an Osweiler type deal, but teams are probably looking at what an epic failure that contract was, and how Tyrod hasn't showed much more than Osweiler had and Tyrod has had a lot more time in the league to show what he's got and to learn to read defenses and look at home.

It's no sure thing he gets more than a re-negotiated contract would give him. It's possible but not a sure thing. Especially if the re-negotiation gives him the same amount of total money that he's getting now if he stays here for the five years. They could eliminate the guaranteed money, for example and change the $15.5 mill roster bonus to five $3.1 mill roster bonuses, one each year of the contract. It's not as good a contract as the old one, but it's still pretty good, especially if he is good enough to hold off all comers for five years.

Yeah, there'll be teams after him, but that he would get as good a contract as he got here is far from a sure thing.

As for the Bills, if he doesn't re-negotiate they should cut him and wish him the best of luck. I would certainly root for the guy except when he plays the Bills. He's clearly a good guy and a very hard worker. But his regression this year did not work in his favor. He's still got the same problems, an unwillingness to throw until the WR is visibly open, an inability to throw over the deep and intermediate middle third of the field, sporadic inaccuracy, a lack of pocket sense that leads him to bail out many times when there is more time for him to stay there, and an apparent inability to go through a lot of reads as quickly as you'd like.

His two pro bowl invites, low turnover rate and running ability would make him quite attractive in free agency.

His two pro bowl invites, low turnover rate and running ability would make him quite attractive in free agency.

You mentioned three things that would make him a quite attractive QB to other NFL teams and didn't mention anything about his passing ability.

You mentioned three things that would make him a quite attractive QB to other NFL teams and didn't mention anything about his passing ability.

Statistically his passing numbers are average. But his running skills are a wild card. Two years in a row he's led a top ten scoring offense.

BREAKING NEWS!

Again, there is no reason for Taylor to renegotiate. Either the Bills pay him or he makes even more in free agency. Anyone who thinks Taylor can't make more elsewhere has no handle on the market for NFL starting QBs. Taylor would be the best QB available in years and there are easily 3-4 teams willing to bid up his price.

This is conjecture. You state that anyone with a dissenting opinion has no handle on the QB market, but none of us know what teams in that market are thinking. Recent contracts given to underperformers such as Osweiler serve as caveats and could give GMs pause. We cannot be certain that 3-4 teams would be interested or believe in Taylor enough to offer a larger deal, though his agent will surely claim there are . It's correct to assume that Taylor would have little incentive to renegotiate on the surface and would probably be encouraged to test the free agent waters by his agent. It's at best unclear right now if the Bills believe in him as a long term solution, which appears their primary objective at the long unsettled QB position.

This is conjecture. You state that anyone with a dissenting opinion has no handle on the QB market, but none of us know what teams in that market are thinking. Recent contracts given to underperformers such as Osweiler serve as caveats and could give GMs pause. We cannot be certain that 3-4 teams would be interested or believe in Taylor enough to offer a larger deal, though his agent will surely claim there are . It's correct to assume that Taylor would have little incentive to renegotiate on the surface and would probably be encouraged to test the free agent waters by his agent. It's at best unclear right now if the Bills believe in him as a long term solution, which appears their primary objective at the long unsettled QB position.

You are right that it's all conjecture. But something about having a 20-something starting QB hit free agency might make a GM giddy.

You are right that it's all conjecture. But something about having a 20-something starting QB hit free agency might make a GM giddy.

We'll see. Irrational exuberance isn't generally rewarded , and we've seen this happen with recent QB signings. Doesn't mean there's not a GM who will bite, but it's likely they've taken notice around the league.

McDermott just came from Carolina where he watched Newton as QB. McDermott may believe that the team he has in Buffalo is as good talent wise as what he witnessed in Carolina.

Taylor is not terrible. Taylor needs confidence and a staff that can build him up. Taylor has the arm strength and talent to be a complimentary piece ala Manning in his last season with Denver. If McDermott can get the team to 'buy in' than Taylor is enough to win and make the playoffs and maybe more.

Statistically his passing numbers are average. But his running skills are a wild card. Two years in a row he's led a top ten scoring offense.

IMO, the realities of why Taylor won't be back...

1. Taylor was Rex's guy

2. There's only three teams in the NFL using their QB as part of their rushing attack

3. Whaley drafted a classic drop back passer in Jones and has another opportunity to draft Jone's competition with a high pick

4. He said the criteria of QB decision-making will come down to if a player fits their long term vision for the position

I can't imagine that a running QB is part of their long term vision for the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the don't wait till March 11 to notify Taylor they're not picking up the option, that they're moving on and going in another direction with the QB position.

IMO, the realities of why Taylor won't be back...

1. Taylor was Rex's guy

2. There's only three teams in the NFL using their QB as part of their rushing attack

3. Whaley drafted a classic drop back passer in Jones and has another opportunity to draft Jone's competition with a high pick

4. He said the criteria of QB decision-making will come down to if a player fits their long term vision for the position

I can't imagine that a running QB is part of their long term vision for the team. I wouldn't be surprised if the don't wait till March 11 to notify Taylor they're not picking up the option, that they're moving on and going in another direction with the QB position.

Agreed. I think many people here are hoping for the TT bandaid and aren't reading the tea leaves here correctly. The fact that Whaley is saying he will only pick up TT's contract if he is the long term answer and then hearing Bills PR guys talking about aiming for greatness means TT is gone to me.

He's better then ANYTHING else available. By a good margin.

That's all the reasoning you need. He doesn't have to be a long term solution. One or two more years with Tyrod until they find something better would be a logical decision.

Sure, that's one way to look at it. But the Bills themselves said the decision isn't about what is the best we can do next year but to find the best long term solution. This is about how the Bills themselves have framed the decision.

Edited by jeffismagic

That's all the reasoning you need. He doesn't have to be a long term solution. One or two more years with Tyrod until they find something better would be a logical decision.

Being the best free agent QB is like a back handed compliment. Because no truly viable NFL starting QB ever reaches free agency.

As for the reasoning, this is the NFL. If the front office doesn't "buy in" or believe in you, what's the point of bringing that player back? So that fans can remain calm? It just doesn't work that way.

Edited by 1billsfan

I believe so, it at least he should be.

Fans will not be happy with a 5-11 or 6-10 season. How can you be?

The guys going on 7 years with the team. Why should he get the benefit of rebuilding something he !@#$ed up to begin with?

I'm a Tyrod supporter, but I don't think this is necessarily true. You could potential have Cousins, Romo, Rivers, Garoppolo or Brees available this offseason. I would take any of them over Tyrod for next year.

I believe so, it at least he should be.

Fans will not be happy with a 5-11 or 6-10 season. How can you be?

The guys going on 7 years with the team. Why should he get the benefit of rebuilding something he !@#$ed up to begin with?

It's too early to call the record for next year as we haven't had the draft and free agency. But my best guess for next year based on who's leaving is that even with Tyrod this team looks like a 6 win team.