Rapoport: Hints that Bills Are Likely to Keep Tyrod Taylor

Renegotiation of TT's contract simply isn't gonna happen... If the Bills don't pick up the option TT knows someone else WILL... (Denver?)

The most important thing for the Bills to do is INVEST that #10 pick in their QB of the future... There are at least 3-4 plausible QB choices to choose from (Trade up?)... Is AJ McCarron worth acquiring? Is Casey Keenum worth a look as a caretaker/bridge QB while the kid develops? CAN the Bills FO even identify a viable QB pick? I have my doubts... But if they don't try...

But the money they might save by not picking up TT's option is simply too hard to ignore... Cardale Jones is a project not likely to pan out (most projects fail)... Until Brady retires they are not likely to win anything anyway so it is time to build for the future...

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do people keep thinking Taylor would want to renegotiate? He has no reason to. Either pay him or let him go to free agency.

His present contract does not make any sense as long as Brady is still playing.

Hunh?

That's what it is now, essentially, but gives even more to Tyrod than you're asking. It's now essentially one year for $30.5 mill. If he he lasts two years it's 40 mill.

Why in the world would the Bills offer even more for the first couple of years? They wouldn't. The Bills' current problem with the contract is exactly that it pays too much over the first year or two and only becomes reasonable for the Bills if it lasts four or five years. OBD isn't going to go to Tyrod's people and say, "We have a problem with this contract and we'd like to re-negotiate with you to make that problem worse."

I didn't realize it was already structured like that. That was smart of Tyrods agent then and shows I was right. Tyrod would get the bulk of the money up front. No way he lasts 3 years. He is a serviceable QB for the next 2 years and super cheap after that if you still want him but highly unlikely

Why do people keep thinking Taylor would want to renegotiate?

Because his team ranks 30th in passing ?

Because he was exposed as a fraud vs Oak and Pitt when playoffs were an option ?

Because he can't read a defense or throw slants ?

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Because his team ranks 30th in passing ?

Because they saw him fail vs Oak and Pitt when playoffs were an option ?

Because he can't read a defense or throw slants ?

Come on who needs a slant pass. Very overrated pattern. All we need are two throws. Go and curl pattern.

No, it is very far from the only thing that matters.

I get why people only want to talk about the cap hit. It makes Taylor's contract look reasonable.

But the logic isn't even close to reasonable.

When deciding whether to take on a contract, you look at the whole impact. Which includes more than just one year's salary cap hit.

If they keep Tyrod for one year and let him go, the total impact will be the guaranteed total, which is $30.5 mill, and guaranteed money is guaranteed to hit the cap. For one year of Tyrod Taylor. Which is absolute malfeasance and grounds for GM dismissal, so they'd probably keep him for two years, which would mean that $40.75 mill will be guaranteed. For two years of Tyrod Taylor. And one or two years total, those are by far the two likeliest outcomes.

Why in the world would they cut him at that point? Youre inventing and worrying about imaginary scenarios in your head.

The NFL is a cap driven league. If it doesnt directly affect the cap, then dont lose much sleep over it.

It would be totally incompetent for the Bills to do away with Tyrod seeing as this is the second year he has made it to the pro bowl.

That would be a typical Bills type move !!

They need to keep T.T. & continue to develop Jones & draft another QB like other pro teams do !!

@MatthewFairburn

Bills still in the process of deciding what to do with Tyrod Taylor. The coaching staff will have a say: http://trib.al/FDFLJed

I think more and more the Bills are going to move on from Taylor and not even want him back at a renegotiated price. In a recent interview discussing the QB situation Whaley said that they (FO/coaches) were going to sit down and decide if that player fits the long term criteria at that position. I find it hard to believe the long term criteria includes having their future long term starter being a running QB playing a hybrid of college and pro systems. Not trying to be harsh, but who really thinks Tyord would fit the criteria as the long term answer?

Probably wise to start looking at this year's QB class as to who'll be Cardale's competition in training camp.

If this is the case, they would also probably sign a cheap veteran QB to be a mentor and possible early season starter.

I think more and more the Bills are going to move on from Taylor and not even want him back at a renegotiated price. In a recent interview discussing the QB situation Whaley said that they (FO/coaches) were going to sit down and decide if that player fits the long term criteria at that position. I find it hard to believe the long term criteria includes having their future long term starter being a running QB playing a hybrid of college and pro systems. Not trying to be harsh, but who really thinks Tyord would fit the criteria as the long term answer?

Probably wise to start looking at this year's QB class as to who'll be Cardale's competition in training camp.

If this is the case, they would also probably sign a cheap veteran QB to be a mentor and possible early season starter.

i like TT, he's a great athlete, but this is my feeling as well.

@MatthewFairburn

Bills still in the process of deciding what to do with Tyrod Taylor. The coaching staff will have a say: http://trib.al/FDFLJed

BREAKING NEWS!

Again, there is no reason for Taylor to renegotiate. Either the Bills pay him or he makes even more in free agency. Anyone who thinks Taylor can't make more elsewhere has no handle on the market for NFL starting QBs. Taylor would be the best QB available in years and there are easily 3-4 teams willing to bid up his price.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

BREAKING NEWS!

Again, there is no reason for Taylor to renegotiate. Either the Bills pay him or he makes even more in free agency. Anyone who thinks Taylor can't make more elsewhere has no handle on the market for NFL starting QBs. Taylor would be the best QB available in years and there are easily 3-4 teams willing to bid up his price.

Disagree that teams would be lining up for him.

BREAKING NEWS!

Fake news. Bid up the price to have a cellar dwelling passing offense.

That's a good one.

BREAKING NEWS!

I wish Taylor the best (except when playing Buffalo). He's always been a cool and classy guy and gave his best to the team.

Having said that, I really don't care what team he goes to or what he makes.

Romo is not a free agent unless the Cowboys release him, and they aren't letting him go for nothing.

That may be the case but it isn't a certainty.

Dallas has 3 options:

1. release Romo before the league year and free up $5m in cap space which helps them be cap compliant with the 51 limit when the league year starts.

2. trade him (which means they have to include that extra $5m against the cap on top of the dead money at the start of the league year (which makes for example re-signing Claiborne before FA hits difficult)

3. release him with a post 1 June designation. That doesn't get you over the problems in point 2 but it would allow them to defer $9m of the total dead cap to 2018 which makes the cap saving this year $14m.

There is a 4th option - which is trade him after 1 June but that doesn't help Romo who wants to get in with a new team before OTAs etc to get into his playbook. I doubt they do that given his service.

So in conclusion, Romo ending up a FA is a reasonably likely scenario.

That may be the case but it isn't a certainty.

Dallas has 3 options:

1. release Romo before the league year and free up $5m in cap space which helps them be cap compliant with the 51 limit when the league year starts.

2. trade him (which means they have to include that extra $5m against the cap on top of the dead money at the start of the league year (which makes for example re-signing Claiborne before FA hits difficult)

3. release him with a post 1 June designation. That doesn't get you over the problems in point 2 but it would allow them to defer $9m of the total dead cap to 2018 which makes the cap saving this year $14m.

There is a 4th option - which is trade him after 1 June but that doesn't help Romo who wants to get in with a new team before OTAs etc to get into his playbook. I doubt they do that given his service.

So in conclusion, Romo ending up a FA is a reasonably likely scenario.

As of now, neither he or Taylor are free agents so all this is conjecture. But I do agree Romo in free agency would be more sought after than Taylor.